Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Meter socket

The cover on the meter socket is missing. I don't know how long it's
been off. The lead seal is missing that shows it hasn't been tampered
with. There are tracks in the yard that look like the electric company
has been next to the pole. It's been since last October since They fixed
the street light, and these tracks look like only a few days old. I
wonder if they're screwing with me?

I'm worried they're going to pull my meter without telling me and accuse
me of tampering with the meter. I called them today to see if they had a
cover, but they said I need to get one from an electrician. I've heard
of them screwing people over by pulling the meter when they thought
someone tampered with it, and as long as that lead seal is gone, they
could claim I tampered with it. They didn't ask my name so maybe they
won't know it's missing, until I can replace it.

I'm going to try and get a new cover Monday. If I have to get an
electrician to replace the box and conduit, how much appx. do you think
an electrician will charge for labor? He would probably put in new wire too.

Home depot has the socket for $23.63, 125 AMP ringless-horn bypass. The
conduit wouldn't be much, I could buy those, and probable save money,
instead of getting them from the electrician.

I'm enclosing a link with a picture of the meter and socket, do you
think that socket at home depot would work?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/niefg9kj1p...15969.jpg?dl=0

This is really not a good time for me to have a new expense.

Tomorrow I'm going to walk around the property and across the road to
see if I can find the old cover. We've had a lot of wind here, but the
cover hasn't had problems in the last three and a half decades, until now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 22:38:48 -0600, Grigori Rasputin
wrote:

[...]

Go to a real electrical supply with that picture and any numbers you
can find on the meter enclosure. They may just have the cover. Put the
cover an and try again with LCEC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 10:38:57 PM UTC-6, Grigori Rasputin wrote:
[...]

Call your power company again and tell them what happened and that you are worried that someone could get hurt and would they please come out ASAP. If you are polite and pleasant they should not cut off your power as that would be causing possible harm to the residents of the house,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:31:33 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Bad advice. The PoCo does not own that meter can, he does and they
might just cut the drop if he tries to play the safety card. It is
much better to just replace the cover and call for a new seal.
If his usage has been consistent and doesn't spike after it is sealed
they usually say no harm no foul.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 06:48:51 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

wrote:

Call your power company again and tell them what happened and that
you are worried that someone could get hurt and would they please
come out ASAP.* If you are polite and pleasant they should not cut
off your power as that would be causing possible harm to the
residents of the house,

Bad advice. The PoCo does not own that meter can, he does and they
might just cut the drop if he tries to play the safety card. It is
much better to just replace the cover and call for a new seal.
If his usage has been consistent and doesn't spike after it is sealed
they usually say no harm no foul.

***** I don't know about the meter sockets in town.** The utility owns
the ones out in the country for the few utilities I've dealt with.* They wire the
topside and the customer is responsible for the bottom side.*
The power company puts the meter in after the customer's wiring
is done inside the meter.

* Out here where I live we own everything from the weather-head on .
Power company ownership ends where the wire from the pole connects to my
wiring .

The power company will own the meter on a residential service
and they really do not tolerate any tampering.
Certain safety/emergency situations will be forgiven, maybe ..

https://www.wnhydro.com/en/your-busi...your-meter.asp

The customer will own the meter base, stack, and wires usually.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Call your power company again and tell them what happened and that
you are worried that someone could get hurt and would they please
come out ASAP.Â* If you are polite and pleasant they should not cut
off your power as that would be causing possible harm to the
residents of the house,
Bad advice. The PoCo does not own that meter can, he does and they
might just cut the drop if he tries to play the safety card. It is
much better to just replace the cover and call for a new seal.
If his usage has been consistent and doesn't spike after it is sealed
they usually say no harm no foul.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I don't know about the meter sockets in town.Â*Â* The utility owns
the ones out in the country for the few utilities I've dealt with.Â* They wire the
topside and the customer is responsible for the bottom side.
The power company puts the meter in after the customer's wiring
is done inside the meter.

Â* Out here where I live we own everything from the weather-head on .
Power company ownership ends where the wire from the pole connects to my
wiring .

The power company will own the meter on a residential service
and they really do not tolerate any tampering.
Certain safety/emergency situations will be forgiven, maybe ..

https://www.wnhydro.com/en/your-busi...your-meter.asp

The customer will own the meter base, stack, and wires usually.

John T.

Â* Ah , you're right , the PoCo does own the meter itself . Any time
I've had to remove the meter , I've called and told them what I'm doing
and why . Never had a problem doing it that way .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That is very unusual but it really depends on where the utility
declares the service point to be. Usually it is the crimp at the end
of the drop, before it goes down to the meter. If I read the OP's
picture right he is with Lee County Electric Coop (based on the LCEC
on the meter) and that is certainly the case here.
FPL gave me my meter can (not always the case) but I was still
required to wire it and the wire was sized to the NEC, not the NESC
like the drop.
On an underground service lateral, the service point will usually be
at the street.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's how it works here, NJ. And I think you had the best advice,
ie take a pic of the box to an electrical supply and see if they have
a cover or new box that he could remove the cover from to use.