Crafty

Default Explosives: Tree stump removal

Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot afford to
rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I have several
LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible because there are many
other tree roots nearby, and the ground is mostly rock and clay.

I cut down the trees a few years ago. I don't know what kind they are, but
they are the toughest damned trees I've ever seen in my life! My chainsaw
broke cutting them down, and an axe barely penetrates the surface! They
look like Poplar, but they are simply too large to be poplar trees.

I am on my last leg, and this is my idea:

1) Drill a 1.5'' diameter hole in the stump, about 3-4 inches deep
2) Fill it with gunpowder
3) Cork it tight
4) Install a long fuse
5) Light it and run

This will most certainly work. The only problem is that there are a LOT of
nearby trees that I want to keep, and I don't want to catch anything on
fire. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Also, I cannot use chemicals. The trees are right above my well sump.
Burning is also out of the question.

Please do not try this yourself. I don't anyone to get hurt from my idea.
I'm looking for people who've tried it or something similar.

Open to other suggestions. Advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Murray Peterson

Crafty wrote in :

[snip]
This will most certainly work. The only problem is that there are a
LOT of nearby trees that I want to keep, and I don't want to catch
anything on fire. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

When I was younger, my father used some stumping dynamite to remove several
large tree stumps. Fire wasn't the primary problem -- it was flying
debris. If you have anything valuable within several hundred yards of the
stump (like your house), don't even think about doing something like this.
Rocks, dirt, and chunks of wood go flying for a long distance -- much
further than you might expect.

There are also legal considerations; is it legal for you to build and
detonate your own bomb at that location? You should check with your local
fire/police department ahead of time -- you don't want to end up in jail
over a tree stump.
Joseph Meehan

You want to blow it up right over your well sump?

Call in the pro with a stump grinder. Let them make fast work of it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Crafty" wrote in message
[...]

Stormin Mormonn

Well, you've ruled out all the practical alternatives. What do you think we
are, magicians? Either leave the stumps in, or choose one.

I cannot afford
rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me.

Digging is also impossible because

My chainsaw
broke cutting them down, and an axe barely penetrates the surface!

Also, I cannot use chemicals. The trees are right above my well sump.

Burning is also out of the question.

--

Christopher a. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Crafty" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce

Not sure how well this works but you can buy an expensive commercial
product that accelerates the decomposition process of the stump. I
have seen it for sale at Home Depot and it is somewhat expensive: $10
for a small container with enough to do two stumps. I looked at the
container and the main ingredient is Potassium Nitrate (which you can
buy on eBay for $10/10lbs).

You can also drill holes and fill with cheap 10-10-10. Not sure how
well that works either but it does provide a source of nitrogen for
the bacteria that eat the stump and that's what will eventually do
them in.

Not the fastest way to get rid of stumps but I plan to try one or the
other next year when I clear some large trees to expand a horse
pasture.

Crafty wrote in message ...
Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot afford to
rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I have several
LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible because there are many
other tree roots nearby, and the ground is mostly rock and clay.

mark Ransley

You dont know gunpowder, when you cork it you may set it off and blow
yourself up. Plus you will need alot more than you describe to do
anything. Like a pound or 2 . But your pump is below, bad idea.

oldal4865

Crafty wrote in message ...
. . .(snip). . .
1) Drill a 1.5'' diameter hole in the stump, about 3-4 inches deep
2) Fill it with gunpowder
3) Cork it tight
4) Install a long fuse
5) Light it and run

.. . .(snip). . .

Please do not try this yourself. I don't anyone to get hurt from my idea.
I'm looking for people who've tried it or something similar.

Open to other suggestions. Advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Another way of describing this plan is :

"Make my own explosive"
"Blow up Something with home-made explosive"

I spent some time doing stuff a bit like this for my Uncle when he was mad
at some Vietnamese.

Step 3 is tricky. You have to do this just right or you blow a hand off ,
maybe even part of a head.

Er. . .you know stumps tend to rot out if you wait long enough.

Regards
Old Al (4 fingers and a thumb on each hand but a bit light on eye brows)

SteveB

"DBCooper" wrote in message
Let me know when the blast will occur. I want to come and watch.

My favorite video clip was the one from the Pacific Northwest.

A whale beached itself, and died. There was a discussion on the best way to
remove the whale from the beach. Too big to pick up and put on a flatbed.

Then someone had an idea. Pack explosives around the whale and convert it
to very very small pieces. The idea was accepted, and the explosives
placed. In the meantime, people started showing up. TV cameras showed up.
Ice cream trucks showed up.

All was ready. Cameras zoomed in from a "safe" distance.

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 BOOM.

It looked good for about five seconds. Then chunks could be seen dropping
from the sky. Closer and closer to the cameras came the puffs of dust from
landing chunks of blubber. People start screaming and running. Chunks now
landing IN the crowd of hysterical people. Cut tape.

In the aftermath, there were large chunks of blubber all over. One chunk
the size of a VolksWagen landed on top of a car pushing the roof down to
seat level. Luckily, no one was sitting in the car. People had bloody
blubber stains all over them, and it rained a mix of explosive residue mixed
with blubber, oil, and blood.

In the end, they had to go all over with pitchforks and front end loaders
and pick it all up.

It reminded me of Mr. Carlson's line in WKRP in Cinncinati: "As God is my
witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

STeve

SteveB

Be forewarned. BATF agents have NO sense of humor.

Steve

Charles Krug

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:34:10 -0500, Stormin Mormonn
wrote:
Well, you've ruled out all the practical alternatives. What do you think we
are, magicians? Either leave the stumps in, or choose one.

Recipro saw with a pruning blade. You don't want to use your chainsaw
that close to the ground, as you'll just eat up your chain and bar.

Pruning blade is 2-3 bucks. All you need to do it get it below
lawnmower height and let Mother Nature do the rest.

Then toss the blade. Nothing is more useless than trying to cut wood
with a dull recipro blade. DAMHIKT.

Crafty

[...]

Well, it may be the only thing I can do. There are just too many to hire
someone else to do it for me. There's about 15 of them. I live in the
mountains, and it's a LONG way to town. Anyone coming out here would cost
serious dough.

Sure, the deep country is tranquil, but when you need something, you're
usually SOL unless you want to pay a lot or travel a long way to get it.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Charles Spitzer

"Crafty" wrote in message

[...]

buy the stump grinder, perhaps used, and sell it after you're done. it'll
probably be cheaper than having someone else do it.

Eric Scantlebury

"oldal4865" wrote in message

Er. . .you know stumps tend to rot out if you wait long enough.

I was just going to suggest he look up someone here that has a termite
problem and offer to "relocate" the problem.

c_kubie

For some reason, fire sounds like a good solution.
(you should consult other people to determine the best approach to a
controlled stump burning. We don't need to start another california
fire)

Are you trying to level it off for grass? or to put something in its
place?
Richard J Kinch

Crafty writes:

1) Drill a 1.5'' diameter hole in the stump, about 3-4 inches deep
2) Fill it with gunpowder

Aside from the legal problems, admit that you have no idea how big or deep
this hole should be, and how much powder to charge in. Guessing will not
work. Some things can be learned on-the-job, but blasting?

There are good reasons that stumps are no longer removed by blasting, even
by those who might know how.
Charles H. Buchholtz

Crafty ) wrote:
: Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot afford to
: rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I have several
: LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible because there are many
: other tree roots nearby, and the ground is mostly rock and clay.

I've heard that you can get rid of stumps by drilling holes into the
stumps and then watering frequently (daily?) with a high nitrogen
fertilizer. The organic breakdown of wood is limited by the supply of
air, water and nitrogen - give it plenty of all three and it'll turn
to compost pretty quickly. At least, that's the theory - I've never
done this.

There's also burning out the stump. It's reckless, but probably safer
than blasting. I'd use the air/water/nitrogen technique myself.

I did a quick look in google and found this.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...444421263.html

--- Chip
Pat Keith

Its possible to buy explosives to remove the stumps. Here you must obtain a
license from the county before you can purchase explosives. Its not cheaper
then grinding. When you are done removing them with explosives you have a
large hole in the ground that will need to be filled and a large stump that
will need to be disposed of in some manner ( you said no fire). Grinding
makes a lot of sense. A lot of stumps can be done in a day. I like to burn
my stumps. I simply build a small fire on top of the stump and add some
more fire wood every few hours. Usually takes about a week.

Jim Yanik

Crafty wrote in :

Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot
afford to rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I
have several LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible
because there are many other tree roots nearby, and the ground is
mostly rock and clay.

I cut down the trees a few years ago. I don't know what kind they are,
but they are the toughest damned trees I've ever seen in my life! My
chainsaw broke cutting them down, and an axe barely penetrates the
surface! They look like Poplar, but they are simply too large to be
poplar trees.

I am on my last leg, and this is my idea:

1) Drill a 1.5'' diameter hole in the stump, about 3-4 inches deep
2) Fill it with gunpowder

3) Cork it tight

Yeah,like that will work.Might shoot the cork a good distance.

4) Install a long fuse
5) Light it and run

This will most certainly work. The only problem is that there are a
LOT of nearby trees that I want to keep, and I don't want to catch
anything on fire. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Also, I cannot use chemicals. The trees are right above my well sump.
Burning is also out of the question.

Please do not try this yourself. I don't anyone to get hurt from my
idea. I'm looking for people who've tried it or something similar.

Open to other suggestions. Advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

When using explosives,one must consider where the debris will fly.
(possible damage to property,especially other's)
Blasting inside city limits also is a no-no.

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely doing any
explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

Crafty

[...]

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely doing
any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I wasn't
aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate prematurely.
A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well enough. I already
have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

Michael Baugh

All right, let's give you an introduction to explosives.
Something explodes because it is in a confined space.
A cork plugging the hole is not sufficient to keep the
gunpowder from simply burning quickly and popping
the cork.
Frankly, I cannot BELIEVE that people haven't told
you about the most common way to make an explosive,
but perhaps it's so they don't want to share it with a few
dozen teenagers looking for a way to blow something up.

Crafty wrote in message

[...]

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely doing
any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I wasn't
aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate prematurely.
A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well enough. I already
have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

Crafty

[...]

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely
doing any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I
wasn't aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate
prematurely. A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well
enough. I already have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

Okay, again, I wasn't aware that there were explosives training classes.
Where did you go to school, Afghanistan? I am not a teenager, either.

Michael Baugh

Go down to the local pharmacy and get a bunch of
salt peter, drill holes in the stump, and pour the
salt peter into the holes. The roots will then dry out
and start to rot.

.. .

Crafty wrote in message

[...]

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely doing
any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I wasn't
aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate

prematurely.
A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well enough. I already
have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

EJ

Crafty wrote in message

[...]

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely

doing
any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I wasn't
aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate

prematurely.
A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well enough. I

already
have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

HD has stuff called "Stump Out" which is salt peter. It will speed rot.
Also, you could easily cut the stump out a few months after application.

EJ

Michael Baugh

Ammonium nitrate at the farm supply store, with
diesel fuel to increase effect by a factor of 10,
with a shotgun shell as detonator.
It's what they used to "blow stumps". Oklahoma
bombing used about 5,000 pounds of it.

Crafty wrote in message

[...]

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely
doing any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I
wasn't aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate
prematurely. A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well
enough. I already have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

Okay, again, I wasn't aware that there were explosives training classes.
Where did you go to school, Afghanistan? I am not a teenager, either.

Greg O

"Michael Baugh" wrote in message
Ammonium nitrate at the farm supply store, with
diesel fuel to increase effect by a factor of 10,
with a shotgun shell as detonator.
It's what they used to "blow stumps". Oklahoma
bombing used about 5,000 pounds of it.

You did it now! Son the black helicopters will be flying over your home!!!

When the Oklahoma bombing took place some people were shocked to find out
about the mix for the bomb. Someone even mentioned to me as to how people
find out about stuff like this. I mentioned one such conversation to my Dad
and he reached into his file cabinat and showed me some information he has
had for years on mixing and use of the fertilizer/diesel fuel mix. The sheet
had the address where it came from, I forget the specifics, but it came
right from a county goverment office, and it was given out to farmers with
the intent for ues to blow stumps, ditches, and watering holes for
livestock.
Greg

bighead

"Michael Baugh" wrote in message ...
All right, let's give you an introduction to explosives.
Something explodes because it is in a confined space.
A cork plugging the hole is not sufficient to keep the
gunpowder from simply burning quickly and popping
the cork.
Frankly, I cannot BELIEVE that people haven't told
you about the most common way to make an explosive,
but perhaps it's so they don't want to share it with a few
dozen teenagers looking for a way to blow something up.

Thats not correct. Smokeless powder is not an explosive, it burns
very fast and when it is confined has explosive properties due to the
rapid expansion of gases. Blackpowder, on the other hand IS explosive
and needs no confining to make it so. A hand full of smokeless powder
can be touched off with a match and will only burn, admittedly very
fast and you may loose some eyebrows, but a hand full of blackpowder
would take your hand off when a match touched it.

I would not recommend either method.

The most common method and one we used when was working on a pipeline
is ANFO.

But trying any of these is unsafe and probably would earn you a
comfortable stay in a warm place with 3 meals a day, hospital or
jail.
Michael Baugh

Yeah, before posting it I did a search and verified
that the same information is readily available. Such as
http://www.virtualschool.edu/mon/Out...lizerBomb.html
But in view of the "Homeland Security" stuff nowadays,
and since the original poster obviously didn't get told how
to do it at his local country store, I suggest salt peter to
rot it out, instead.

Greg O wrote in message
When the Oklahoma bombing took place some people were shocked to find out
about the mix for the bomb. Someone even mentioned to me as to how people
find out about stuff like this.

Houseslave

Rent a stump grinder. I wouldn't play with gun powder. It can scare you
for life and then you'll be blind (or worse) with those pesky stumps still
standing. I think it'll cost you about 60.00.

Jim Yanik

Crafty wrote in
:

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely
doing any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I wasn't
aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate
prematurely. A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well
enough. I already have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

Do you know the laws regarding "destructive devices"?
and the penalties for making them?

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik

"Greg O" wrote in
:

[...]

Last report I saw about OKC was that it was AN/nitromethane mix,not ANFO.
(NM used as Drag-racing or RC car fuel)

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net
SteveB

"Michael Baugh" wrote in message
.. .

All right, let's give you an introduction to explosives.
Something explodes because it is in a confined space.
A cork plugging the hole is not sufficient to keep the
gunpowder from simply burning quickly and popping
the cork.

As in when a cartridge in a gun is supposed to fire, and the "cork" (lead)
pop out through the barrel, but doesn't and causes the gun to "explode"?

As when a blackpowder M-80 is put into a mailbox, and the door doesn't "pop"
open to relieve the pressure, but the mailbox is destroyed?

Things explode all the time although they have a relief channel.

Where did you go to explosives school? I think you should ask for a refund.
What state do you live in? (other than the state of confusion) I want to
avoid that state in my travels.

Steve

SteveB

"bighead" wrote
The most common method and one we used when was working on a pipeline
is ANFO.

But trying any of these is unsafe and probably would earn you a
comfortable stay in a warm place with 3 meals a day, hospital or
jail.

Buying ammonium nitrate fertilizer and fuel oil is illegal now?

Steve

indago

031114 1339 - Eric Scantlebury wrote:

"oldal4865" wrote in message

Er. . .you know stumps tend to rot out if you wait long enough.

I was just going to suggest he look up someone here that has a termite
problem and offer to "relocate" the problem.

When the Erie Canal was built they used an interesting device to remove tree
stumps. The program that I saw showed a computer generated image of the
device, which consisted of two wheels about 10' in diameter with an axle
between. A chain was wrapped around the axle, and down around the stump. A
team of horses were attached to heavy ropes around the wheels and the horses
were "encouraged" to pull on the wheels. The axle turned with the chain
pulling up on the stump. It was explained that this method was quite
effective and used extensively.

Michael Baugh

In one of the sites I looked at, a person talked about
securing chains to the stump with a railroad spike,
wrapping the chain around the stump, and then the
chains being pulled, causing the stump to be rotated
and the roots sheared or removed from the dirt so
that the stump was able to be removed.

Michael Baugh wrote:
In one of the sites I looked at, a person talked about
securing chains to the stump with a railroad spike,
wrapping the chain around the stump, and then the
chains being pulled, causing the stump to be rotated
and the roots sheared or removed from the dirt so
that the stump was able to be removed.

Sounds like Excedrin headache #712,if the spike lets go )

Michael Baugh

What a very strange question. You're describing explosions of
devices. The cartridge, the M-80. And you're describing associated
devices being damaged. The gun doesn't explode, it is damaged by
the 'exploding' cartridge. The mailbox doesn't explode.
The 'relief channel' is designed into the device, such as the gun, But
let mud get into the barrel, and watch the force get vented otherwise.
The door of the mailbox doesn't have to open. The box may or may not
be deformed/damaged by the M-80, with or without the door opening.
In fact, the box could be damaged by the localized explosion, even with
the door open.
I'll not tell you where I got my training with explosives, but I can tell
you
that they've been in business for a long time, and that their training is
frequently called upon to change someone's lifestyle.
I will again endorse the choice of using stump rotting chemicals, and
ignoring you.

unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 03:44 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 01:57 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 06:13 PM
stump removal; 3 feet too high? Doug Mitchell Home Repair 14 August 19th 03 04:23 AM