Any risk in buying a house with finished basement without permit -Please advise

Old November 12th 03, 07:14 PM
Basha

Default Any risk in buying a house with finished basement without permit -Please advise

Hi,

I am in house hunting for the last one month and found a suitable
house recently. I am thinking of buying it. When I went to to get the
survey map from the city governmemnt, I learned that they don't have a
record of basement finished. The previous owner who actually completed
the basement didn't get the permit for it. The basement has 2
bedrooms, one bathroom and a large family room with fire place. Is
there any risk involved in buying this house?

You comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Basha
Old November 12th 03, 07:29 PM
Matty

"Basha" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am in house hunting for the last one month and found a suitable
house recently. I am thinking of buying it. When I went to to get the
survey map from the city governmemnt, I learned that they don't have a
record of basement finished. The previous owner who actually completed
the basement didn't get the permit for it. The basement has 2
bedrooms, one bathroom and a large family room with fire place. Is
there any risk involved in buying this house?

You comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Basha

I'd check with the city. If the owner didn't get a permit - the finished
basement may not be up to city codes, i.e. city may require egress windows
for finished basements, etc.

Better to be safe than sorry...

My 2c,

Matty

Old November 12th 03, 07:56 PM
C.J.

Aside from the points made by others, no bank/mortgage company will touch a
property which does not have a Certificate of Occupancy on an extension, or
in this case, a finished area. Ask the current owner if he/she is willing
to do the legwork to get the C of O and pay the fines. It can get very
expensive and time consuming. If he/she won't, walk away.
--
C.J.

Pull my pud to reply

Old November 12th 03, 08:20 PM
Phisherman

Have the house inspected for local and state codes. I'm sure there
are many homes that finish the basement without permits. You want to
be sure the house is safe to live in.

Old November 12th 03, 08:27 PM
Steve Stone

Some areas may not require a permit to finish off an unfinished basement.
Check with the town offices before panicking.

--

Remove "zz" from e-mail address to direct reply.

Old November 12th 03, 08:48 PM
Patscga

The main risk is that if they built right up to the foundation you will
not be able to inspect it's soundness

That does THAT mean?
Pat