sx

Default Repairing a hole going outside? (pics)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, and I would just like to note that this is my
first house, I just bought it last week.
Therefore I do not know alot about fixing things in a home, but I am very
good with my hands and can get around just about
anything as long as I have some advice on how to do it. That being said, I
will describe the problem:

The previous owner had a hole going outide from the basement, not in the
foundation, but just above through
the wood and ultimately through the vinyl outside. I have included a couple
of pics to better describe the issue:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sledhead/ho...3/IMG_2012.JPG

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sledhead/ho...3/IMG_2013.JPG

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sledhead/ho...3/IMG_2014.JPG

I guess what I am looking for is reccomendations on how to repair this and
keep the house "vapour barriered" for a lack
of a better term.

I'm only speculating here but this is what I think I am going to need,
please correct me if I am wrong.

1.) Plastic sheet about 6" bigger than the hole
2.) Some kind of silicone
3.) 1/2" thick or so peice of plywood to cover the hole and plastic
4.) Screws to screw it in place.
5.) Insulation to cover it up
6.) Drywall sheet

Here is my theory on how I will go to fix it.

This will all be done by the inside of the house (from the basement)

1.) Cut out a peice of plastic about 6" diameter larger than the hole itself
2.) Slap some silicone (lots of it) all around the edges of the plastic.
3.) Put the plastic in place to cover the hole and stick it all around
4.)Grab the peice of plywood and cover the plastic and screw it into place
5.) Attach another peice of plastic larger than the plywood and silicone it,
into place.
6.) Insulate the area.
7.) Put in the new peice of drywall.

Anything else? or am I missing some kind of material?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

GDC

TOM KAN PA

What the hell was the hole put there for in the first place?

George Myers

Not an expert but here is what I would do.

Cut out more of the area around the whole. Taking care not to cut into the
plastic behind the dry wall.

"Fix" the part missing on the outside of the house and put the insulation
back in. Check to make sure no studs or supports were cut to make the hole
and if so might have to take care of it before covering the hole.

Put the vapor barrier back up in contact with the old vapor barrier NOT over
the drywall on the basement side.

Most likely used as a vent for a paint booth, would be my guess.

"sx" wrote in message
[...]

sx

What the hell does it matter why the hole is there. I just want to know how
to fix it.

GDC

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
What the hell was the hole put there for in the first place?

Shadow

.. .

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
What the hell was the hole put there for in the first place?

The hole may have been placed there for some type of venting for a dryer or
something. It may be a good idea to make sure the hole is absolutely not
needed before repairing.

Martik

It's will be difficult to mud and featheredge that patch in, I would
probably replace the whole sheet of drywall.
Show us the 'after' picture.

"sx" wrote in message
[...]

m.w.logsdon

Sounds like you are on the right track. You need to try and "match" the
construction around the area as much as possible. If the outside sheathing
under the siding is 1/2in plywood, go with that for the patch. Like someone
mentioned, it would probably be best to try and enlarge the hole so as to
have existing framing to attach everything to. I wonder about that
seemingly large piece of wood entering the hole from the right. Is this as
large as it looks? If so, what's its purpose? If it's sructural in nature
that it appears the sructure integrity has been compromised by cutting it.
repair as needed to restore.

If you mention 2 layers of plastic, one on each side of the plywood. I
don't know that this is a good idea. Normally the plastic is the vapor
barrior, and that should go on the insulation towards the heated/cooled area
(inside of the house). If you've cut the opening back to where you can get
at existing studs or nailers, you should have no problem patching the
drywall and mudding the joints so the patch is not noticable once completed.

As someone mentioned, post an "after" picture when you're done!

wrote in message
[...]

Tom Baker

"sx" wrote in message .. .
[...]

looking at 2013, the framing may have been cut.
If that is so, it needs to be spliced to provide consistent structure.
The wall should have these layers from out to in:
Siding
"House wrap" or building paper
sheathing
framing
insulation between framing members
vapor barrier
gypsum board

The layer behind the siding is critical to keeping water out of the
system.
The patch in this layer should be "shingled" to shed any water that
gets through the siding.
The sheathing should be patched to give the outer layer support.
( I think a hole this size is probably not a structural issue.)
The structural frame should be made continuous.
( How that is done depends on what's there, and I can't see in the
photo.)
Insulation should be provided, or the dew point is going to be reached
within the wall.
The vapor barrier must be patched.
The gyp board can be cut in and finish the package.

Tom Baker
Eric Scantlebury

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...

[...]

I'll chime in with another question. I could not tell in the pictures if
the basement sill plate was cut. I can see a white board but cannot
identify if that is the sill plate - if not, I, personally, would be
concerned that the sill "integrity" has been breached and would worry about
that wall "flexing" between studs during settling. Other than that - I
agree with the steps outlined above. Just another .02

Stu Redman

.. .

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
What the hell was the hole put there for in the first place?

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Mike

the hole inside Is nothing I would just screw a new sheet between the
furnace of whatever it is.
Its the outside you should worry about

sx

Thats excellent information Tom,
I havent moved into the house yet.. Will be very soon, and will tackle this
first thing..
In about 3 weeks or so I will post up my results.
Your response was very helpful.
Thank you,

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...

[...]