John

Default Home HVAC question....

Hello group...
Hoping to get some insight to make a good decision...We are shopping for a
new home here in Austin TX, and have come to the conclusion the home will be
a two story, probably between 2600-3100 sq foot ...Some builders offer two
seperate systems, one for up and one for down, and some offer a single
"zoned" system..I think they are all using 12seer units..I don't know which
way is better, as I have never had a two story home or a two unit home...It
would seem to me the single zoned one has benefits of only being one machine
to maintain, but also will get more use...Now, the upstairs of the home will
not see much use..It will primarily be used for guest visits which don't
happen all that often so that area will be set higher most of the time (or
lower in the case of heat) I am guessing the single "zoned" unit would be
of a larger size than the two seperate ones, would that affect the monthly
cost? Also I asked if the unit can be upgraded to a higher seer and they
said they can but it really is not necessary due to the home construction,
as anything above a 12 jumps way up in cost...
Any thoughts on this would be very appriciated...Thanks! John

Art Begun

GO for 2. CHeck Consumer Reports. Zoned systems for HVAC are
complicated. I assume you are talking forced air system. Also it
will always be working suboptimally instead of 2 separate systems each
hopefully optimized.

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Joseph Meehan

One is usually cheaper to buy, but two is better. In some cases two may
not be much more expensive as a retrofit.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"John" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"John" wrote in message
[...]

If you have a upper and down stairs in a home, here is the way to think.

2 zones up and down --- 2 seperate units.
2 zones both on same level. --- 1 units .

The cost to operate two zones unit are of very little difference but a great
deal better confort level to have.

2 zone cost to maintain --- It cost a little more to change out 2 -- 2.5
tons verses 1 - 5 ton but after bitching for 20 years about up stair being
too hot or cold the price difference is a very small price to pay.

TURTLE

CBHvac

That chart is very misleading....thats the BEST readings, in a CONTROLLED
LAB..

In higher humidity areas, you will find that your savings are not anywhere
NEAR what is POTENTIALLY advertised.

I have several customers that have lower bills than some with new 14SEER
units with only 12SEER units...its more in the proper sizing for the area,
and home than just slapping in a 18SEER unit and thinking, sometimes
wrongly, that your bills will magically go down to nothing.

Once you understand the trade offs of the higher SEER stuff, you understand
why they are perfect for Southern CA, but not so perfect for a humid
climate.

"Rudy" wrote in message

Hoping to get some insight to make a good decision...We are shopping for

new home here in Austin TX, and have come to the conclusion the home

will
be
a two story, probably between 2600-3100 sq foot ...Some builders offer

two
seperate systems, one for up and one for down, and some offer a single
"zoned" system..I think they are all using 12seer units

Our last place (5 yrs ago: 2740 sf one floor) had 2 Carrier heat pumps
1-12.5 SEER 1- 14 SEER..We were happy with them and had the lowest
heating/cooling bills in the neighborhood. It was a LONG house (120') and
needed two.

We're building a new one now and this time its a 3300 sf 2 floor home

and
we're going with a single American Standard 14SEER heat pump. IMO, the
additional cost of going up to 14 SEER (from 12) will be paid back to you

by
more efficient operation of the higher SEER device. See chart below.

You may want to see the FAQ or order the free video at:

http://www.americanstandardair.com/VideoRequest.asp