DaveG

Default Furnace filters

"Truitt Bottsford III" wrote in message
Are the expensive fancy ones really worth it over the cheapo paper
filters?

Dunno. What are you looking for in a filter? The cheapo ones protect the
motor of your furnace by blocking chunks of stuff.
The more expensive you go, the greater the amount of stuff the filter
removes, generally speaking.
Some people think that tight filters (the not cheapo ones) are not good
because they supposedly block free movement of air thru the system. Others
like the idea of having pollen, allergans, and the like filtered out.
Pick a side. Buy your filters accordingly.
Dave

TURTLE

"Truitt Bottsford III" wrote in message
Are the expensive fancy ones really worth it over the cheapo paper
filters?

This is Turtle.

the good type filters are better at cleaning the air in the home but it's a
matter of money as how clean you want the air. Judgement call here.

TURTLE

mark Ransley

They last longer , they clean better

CBHvac

"Truitt Bottsford III" wrote in message
Are the expensive fancy ones really worth it over the cheapo paper
filters?

Cheapo paper pleated over fiberglass or hogs hair..

Now...if you have an older system, or one that is not set up for the added
resistance of say..a 3M, you can create some issues with it.

TURTLE

"mark Ransley" wrote in message
They last longer , they clean better

This is Turtle.

You had me going there for a minute but you must be talking about Pleated
filters.

TURTLE

Phisherman

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:51:33 GMT, Truitt Bottsford III
wrote:

Are the expensive fancy ones really worth it over the cheapo paper
filters?

I have two expensive ones. I noticed a need to dust less frequently,
although the tradeoff is having to wash the filters every month. I
hose them off in the backyard and dry them in the sun. I have heard
of some folks washing them (alone of course) in the dishwasher.
Tony Hwang

wrote:

Are the expensive fancy ones really worth it over the cheapo paper
filters?

I have two expensive ones. I noticed a need to dust less frequently,
although the tradeoff is having to wash the filters every month. I
hose them off in the backyard and dry them in the sun. I have heard
of some folks washing them (alone of course) in the dishwasher.

Hi,
Yes, it washes well in dishwasher. I wash filter and electronic air
cleaner modules in dishwasher.
Tony

mark Ransley

Phish , yours are electrostatic , yes .

Greg

Continuing on this thread...

What do you guys think of the supposed "lifetime" filters that simply need
to be cleaned & replaced. I'm a little leary of anything that claims to
last a lifetime. The cost seems to be 5x-10x the cost of the better
filters. Anyine using one of these "lifetime" filters? If so, care to
comment?

--Greg

wrote:

Are the expensive fancy ones really worth it over the cheapo paper
filters?

Thanks for all the replies.
Think I'll consider electrostatic.
Now that summers over & the furnace is running we're waking up with
stuffy noses.

Phisherman

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:54:58 -0500, "Greg"
wrote:

Continuing on this thread...

What do you guys think of the supposed "lifetime" filters that simply need
to be cleaned & replaced. I'm a little leary of anything that claims to
last a lifetime. The cost seems to be 5x-10x the cost of the better
filters. Anyine using one of these "lifetime" filters? If so, care to
comment?

--Greg

I've used the same washable filters for 10 years (over 120 washings)
and there are no signs of deterioration. I added some self-stick
rubber insulation to the opening perimeter so the filter makes a tight
seal. The cost is certainly more than the throw-away type, but there
is water usage cost for the cleanings. Bottom line is that there is
less dust in my house, so I don't care about the cost differences.
I've read about the washable filters that require electricity, but
mine are "passive" electrostatic. Works great.

Jim K

I've gone with the medium priced ones. Around $8 or so. Keep an eye
out for sales and pick them up then. Being lazy, spending $2-3 to
replace instead of wash is worth it. The real cheap ones don't seem to
do much filtering.