Paula

Default Kitchen Aid Side-by-side - Water Dispenser/Filter Problem

Hi All -

Just wondering if anyone has experience with side-by-side fridges and
their water filters.

I had my fridge for a year before the light changed and I had to
change my filter. We use *TONS* of water and ice. The ice bucket
used to fill up in a day and the water flow was adequate (but not
exceptional).

As soon as we changed the filter, we noticed a slow-down in the flow
of the water and how quickly the ice was being made. We thought the
water pressure in our area was being affected by our water shortage,
so we just kind of ignored it. Now it is the fall, no more water
shortages and the flow seems worse. I removed the filter - and YEP -
heavy water flow. So, it is the filter, now, what's the problem with
it? I am pretty confident it's installed correctly (I hear a vaccuum
sound each time I put it in and turn it). Perhaps it was a faulty
filter or clogged from day one?

Does anyone know if buying a new filter will solve this? It was
expensive ($50) and is now 4 months old - I doubt the parts place will
exchange it for me (BUT, the label does say it should last for 6 - 12
months, and the Green indicator light is still on).

Do you think I have a case to demand a new filter free of charge?
What could be the problem if the new filter does not help increase the
flow?

Thanks,
Paula
jim

Paula wrote:

[...]

i got a whirlpool(think they also make the kitchenair one... probably
the same filter(or maybe not.. that might be the problem??? pull the
filter out and look inside the front tip to see if anything is blocking
the water flow??? that might be the problem.. put the old filter back in
and see if thats the problem??? also on mine they have about 10 feet of
plastic hose that is coiled up and sits behind the lower drawers in the
refigerator section.. that might be kinked?????
Dan O.

Paula wrote:

I had my fridge for a year before the light changed
and I had to change my filter. We use *TONS* of
water and ice. The ice bucket used to fill up in a
day and the water flow was adequate (but not
exceptional).

As soon as we changed the filter, we noticed a
slow-down in the flow of the water and how
quickly the ice was being made.

The amount of water should not effect ice production. It will harvest
whenever it is ready whether water is in there or not. Unless the icemaker
isn't filling *at all* at times (unlikely IMO), the water supply likely has
nothing to do with reduced ice production.

if you're having a problem with reduced ice production (not reduced cube
size), a more likely cause is reduced freezer temperature. Check and clean
the condenser coils beneath the fridge as that is a major cause of reduced
freezer temperature (and also increases energy consumption of the fridge).

We thought the water pressure in our area was
being affected by our water shortage, so we just
kind of ignored it. Now it is the fall, no more water
shortages and the flow seems worse. I removed
the filter - and YEP - heavy water flow.

There will be some reduced water pressure through the filter but if your
"heavy water flow" is still not 'up to snuff', the filter will just make it
worse.

Many water line installations will have a sediment screen in the water line
where it attaches to the fridge's water fill valve. If it is partially
plugged, it could be contributing to the problem.

Also, if a 'saddle valve' was installed on your house water pipe for the
fridge's water supply, it could be partially plugged with lime and scale,
etc. It will be even worse if a 'self piercing' type saddle valve was
installed or any type of saddle valve was installed on the underside of a
horizontal water pipe.

Only a drill type saddle valve should be used (if not a regular plumbing
tap) and installed on the side of a vertical pipe or on the *top* of a
horizontal one.

You can read about the water valves used on appliances and cleaning a filter
screen at the following link:

Appliance water fill vavle information
http://ng.appliance411.com/links/sea...ry=water+valve

So, it is the filter, now, what's the problem with it?
Perhaps it was a faulty filter or clogged from day one?

Does anyone know if buying a new filter will solve this?

Once you've ruled out all the other possibilities, you can try a new one.

It was expensive ($50)

The company at the following link has some pretty good priced refrigerator
water filters (and even often has deals on shipping for quantity purchases).
Maybe you can get a replacement a bit cheaper?

http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?...erfilters.html

and is now 4 months old - I doubt the parts place will
exchange it for me (BUT, the label does say it should
last for 6 - 12 months, and the Green indicator light is
still on).

What is printed on the label is only a suggestion and will vary with amount
of water use. Depending on your dispenser system, it may only count elapsed
time and not actual water use.

Do you think I have a case to demand a new filter free
of charge?

You can try but after 4 months... More likely if you tried to return it
immediately but you never know.

What could be the problem if the new filter does not help
increase the flow?

I would check the other things first and also that Jim suggests below. Maybe
an O-ring slipped off anf got inside??

jim wrote

i got a whirlpool (think they also make the kitchenair one...

Yes, Whirlpool makes and owns KitchanAid.

pull the filter out and look inside the front tip to
see if anything is blocking the water flow???

It certainly is a possibility.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=KitchenAid+fridge

=Ð~~~~~~

TURTLE

"Dan O." wrote in message

Paula wrote:

[...]

This is Turtle.

Hey Dan O , I have a brother inlaw with a brand new Whirlpool side by side
and ice and water in the door when he installed the new water filter in it /
first filter ever put in it. The water pressure was cut down to 1/3 of
without the filter in it. You have to wait more than a whole minute to get a
16 oz glass filled with water , with ice in it already. He is calling
Whirlpool out on it this week and see what it is. If you have anything on
this let me know for i think there is something to this for this is the 6 th
Whirlpool side by side with the same words or problem on them and all on
side by sides whirlpool less than 6 months old. Two of them was on the
newsgroup and 4 on people I know. We maybe seeing a design defect in the
making.

TURTLE

jeff

"TURTLE" wrote in message ...
I have a brother inlaw with a brand new Whirlpool side by side
and ice and water in the door when he installed the new water filter in it /
first filter ever put in it. The water pressure was cut down to 1/3 of
without the filter in it. You have to wait more than a whole minute to get a
16 oz glass filled with water , with ice in it already. He is calling
Whirlpool out on it this week and see what it is. If you have anything on
this let me know for i think there is something to this for this is the 6 th
Whirlpool side by side with the same words or problem on them and all on
side by sides whirlpool less than 6 months old. Two of them was on the
newsgroup and 4 on people I know. We maybe seeing a design defect in the
making.

Hi all,

Kinda wonder if the new filter has more filtering ability ( better
filter than the original ) cutting down the flow rate.....or is the
replacement(s) wrong flow rate to begin with??

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

TURTLE

"jeff" wrote in message
om...
"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

this is Turtle.

This is what I'm thinking here. I think we are seeing a design flaw in the
making here.

TURTLE

Dan O.

Kinda wonder if the new filter has more filtering ability
(better filter than the original) cutting down the flow rate
...or is the replacement(s) wrong flow rate to begin with??

this is Turtle.

This is what I'm thinking here. I think we are seeing a design
flaw in the making here.

Frigidaire has 2 different water filters which are not interchangeable, I've
never heard of such a thing on Whirlpool built models. I'd be curious to
know the refrigerator models affected and the part number of the filter
which was installed.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com