Default Furnace not working properly

Well it's starting to get cold around here so I decided to turn the furnace
on for the winter but it's not working properly. It only worked once and
that was about 24 hours after I turned the thermostat up. It worked for
about 15 minutes. Here's what's happening from my observation:

1. Thermostat calls for heat.
2. Furnace motor starts
3. Furnace makes a clicking noise and ignitor turns on
4. Furnace makes a clicking noise and ignitor turns off after 10 seconds
5. Furnace motor still running
6. Two minutes later, ignitor turns on
7. Ignitor turns off after 10 seconds
8. Repeats 5-7 and then motor shuts off.

There's nothing wrong with the ignitor, it's glowing bright orange and I can
feel the heat from 15 inches away. I don't know if the gas is being released
because the fan is too loud. It's an Amana 80. Does anyone know what's wrong
with it?

Yes gas is turned on but it doesn't seem like gas is being supplied. I can
hear the gas valve controller clicking off after the failed igniting attempt
tho. Oh and it worked 3 hours ago for about 10 minutes so I know the gas is
turned on but something is wrong.

k.net...

"x" wrote in message
[...]

JohnB

x wrote:
Well it's starting to get cold around here so I decided to turn the furnace
on for the winter but it's not working properly. It only worked once and
that was about 24 hours after I turned the thermostat up. It worked for
about 15 minutes. Here's what's happening from my observation:

1. Thermostat calls for heat.
2. Furnace motor starts
3. Furnace makes a clicking noise and igniter turns on
4. Furnace makes a clicking noise and igniter turns off after 10 seconds
5. Furnace motor still running
6. Two minutes later, igniter turns on
7. Igniter turns off after 10 seconds
8. Repeats 5-7 and then motor shuts off.

There's nothing wrong with the igniter, it's glowing bright orange and I can
feel the heat from 15 inches away. I don't know if the gas is being released
because the fan is too loud. It's an Amana 80. Does anyone know what's wrong
with it?

I have only used oil furnaces. They have temperature sensors which
shut off the fuel flow if they don't fire up in time. My first
experience with that feature was our first night in our 1850s house
when the oil burner would not light. The service technician found
the heat sensor so sooted up that it thought that the burner had not
ignited.

I remember a propane heated dishwasher at the Boy Scout camp which
had a "safety pilot" feature which would not allow propane to reach
the burner until the temperature sensor in the safety device was hot
[ie, until the pilot light heated it up].

Could the "safety pilot" feature be turning off your gas because of
soot, other crud, or simply failing?

Stormin Mormon

Last time I had one go like that, the gas was turned off. I'm with Heat Man.

Did you check for power at the gasvalve? Maybe a defective gas valve?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"x" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Hwang

JohnB wrote:
x wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Maybe flame sensor is not sensing the flame. Common cause is surface
rust on the sensor element. Use a fine grade sand paper and gently rub
off the rust. I do it every season. If still no go, may need a new
sensor. Also no diag. code from the controller?
Tony

Greg O

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
Maybe flame sensor is not sensing the flame. Common cause is surface
rust on the sensor element. Use a fine grade sand paper and gently rub
off the rust. I do it every season. If still no go, may need a new
sensor. Also no diag. code from the controller?
Tony

Guess again! Unless I am reading wrong there is no flame to sense! The
burner does not even light, so not a flame sensor problem!
Greg

Greg O

"x" wrote in message
Hmm this is weird. I took out my thermostat and sanded the 2 copper wires

little to get better contact and now the furnace fires up every time heat

is
called. I don't see what the wires have to do with the gas valve tho. Oh
well.

Probably nothing! Just one of the fluke things that happen!
It is possible the gas valve was stuck closed and it worked itself free.
I would not bet that your furnace will continue to work! The gremlins will
be back!
Greg