Joe Blo

Default Looking for DC voltage actuated water valve that interfaces to shower head

I live in an apartment where the shower can take quite a while for hot
water to flow through the shower head and the temperature to
stabilize. I already have my coffee maker & towel warmer on an X10
home automation system.
I am searching for a plumbing attachment that attaches the end of a
shower head that has an electrically actuated valve (low voltage DC)
to allow water to flow so I can interface it to my home automation
system via a DC adapter.
This will allow my shower to automatically start in the morning.
To those who are lacking electricity knowledge, I am not at all
talking about using dangerous voltages near water. So please dont
misunder my post.
Thanks
BruceR

A better and less wasteful way to do this would be with a Laing
Auto-Circ (http://www.autocirc.com/Autocirc.htm). It easily installs
under the sink in your bathroom and attaches to the hot and cold lines.
When turned on it pumps water from the hot line back to the cold side so
hot water water is always available. Then you'll have instant hot water
at the sink and within a few seconds at the shower. It has a built in
timer or you can adapt it for X10 control.
If anyone here wants one, I have a few brand new ones left over from a
recent construction project that I can sell for $99 each plus postage.

Joe Blo wrote:
I live in an apartment where the shower can take quite a while for hot
water to flow through the shower head and the temperature to
stabilize. I already have my coffee maker & towel warmer on an X10
home automation system.
I am searching for a plumbing attachment that attaches the end of a
shower head that has an electrically actuated valve (low voltage DC)
to allow water to flow so I can interface it to my home automation
system via a DC adapter.
This will allow my shower to automatically start in the morning.
To those who are lacking electricity knowledge, I am not at all
talking about using dangerous voltages near water. So please dont
misunder my post.
Thanks

Paul A

"Joe Blo" wrote in message
om...
I live in an apartment where the shower can take quite a while for hot
water to flow through the shower head and the temperature to
stabilize. I already have my coffee maker & towel warmer on an X10
home automation system.
I am searching for a plumbing attachment that attaches the end of a
shower head that has an electrically actuated valve (low voltage DC)
to allow water to flow so I can interface it to my home automation
system via a DC adapter.
This will allow my shower to automatically start in the morning.
To those who are lacking electricity knowledge, I am not at all
talking about using dangerous voltages near water. So please dont
misunder my post.
Thanks

You might find what you want in the area of underground lawn sprinklers
which use valves similar to what you are asking.

bud

Default TO: Bruce R.

Bruce,

I'm interested in one of those pumps.

Please email me at
Remove the "nospam_" before and after
bud

Bruce,

I'm interested in one of those pumps.

Please email me at
Remove the "nospam_" before and after
BruceR

Default Auto-Circ

Ok, sent a private email.
I still have a few if anyone else needs one. I also have some brand new
& unused 110 volt point of use under sink water heaters.

bud wrote:
Bruce,

I'm interested in one of those pumps.

Please email me at
Remove the "nospam_" before and after

awm

BruceR wrote:

A better and less wasteful way to do this would be with a Laing
Auto-Circ (http://www.autocirc.com/Autocirc.htm). It easily installs
under the sink in your bathroom and attaches to the hot and cold lines.
When turned on it pumps water from the hot line back to the cold side so
hot water water is always available.

Here in the UK at least this would break the Water Bye Laws and/or
guidelines for prevention of legionaires disease.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- BruceR -
A better and less wasteful way to do this would be with a Laing
Auto-Circ (http://www.autocirc.com/Autocirc.htm). It easily installs
under the sink in your bathroom and attaches to the hot and cold

lines.
When turned on it pumps water from the hot line back to the cold

side so
hot water water is always available.

- awm -
Here in the UK at least this would break the Water Bye Laws and/or
guidelines for prevention of legionaires disease.

- Nehmo -

I've seen hot water recalculating systems like this one

http://www.lainginc.com/howhot.htm

that use a small return pipe. But I never thought of simply sending the
water at the base of the hot water faucet to the cold water line, as in
this "autocirc" system. Ling provides somewhat of a comparison he

http://www.lainginc.com/facts_to_know.htm

The conventional recirculation system needs a return line separate form
the hot and cold supply lines. The "autocirc" system doesn't require a
return line but the cold water at the faucet is mixed a bit with some
hot water, so upon turn-on, it isn't really cold.

I would say if someone is planning instant hot on new construction, then
use the conventional system and run the return line. But it the job is a
retrofit, then the autocirc is the simplest.

So, BruceR, was your project new construction?

And Awm, how does (according to the "Bye Laws") something like the
autocirc system promote or create an environment for Legionnaires
Disease?

--
*******************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Chuck Y

I've seen several of these when we had hot water problems.
(new 2 me house, water heater had been recalled for dip tube,
$4 got me a new tube and hot water).

Anyway, I've seen many of these - some that use X10 to turn
them on. All just like Bruce describes. Not a new idea,
not rare, seems like a good idea if you want to keep standing
warm water in your pipes - but just during the morning and
perhaps evening.

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
[...]

Chris Lewis

According to Nehmo Sergheyev :

And Awm, how does (according to the "Bye Laws") something like the
autocirc system promote or create an environment for Legionnaires
Disease?

The issue is that Legionaires disease will culture and grow in
warm water (around 100F to 120-125F). By recirculating the water, you'll
have pockets that stay that temp. If you have water set to 140F
(US CDC, OSHA and Canadian MoH recommendations, but this is in violation of
some US state legislations particularly for "institutions" that have
a limit of 120F) and can keep it that way, then there's probably not a problem.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Chris Lewis

According to Paul A :

"Joe Blo" wrote in message
om...
I live in an apartment where the shower can take quite a while for hot
water to flow through the shower head and the temperature to
stabilize. I already have my coffee maker & towel warmer on an X10
home automation system.
I am searching for a plumbing attachment that attaches the end of a
shower head that has an electrically actuated valve (low voltage DC)
to allow water to flow so I can interface it to my home automation
system via a DC adapter.
This will allow my shower to automatically start in the morning.
To those who are lacking electricity knowledge, I am not at all
talking about using dangerous voltages near water. So please dont
misunder my post.

You might find what you want in the area of underground lawn sprinklers
which use valves similar to what you are asking.

Most of those are 24VAC. Will work on 24V DC, but likely not on 12V.

I'd avoid voltages even as low as 12V _inside_ the shower.

While it's not likely to be lethal, under those conditions you can
probably feel 24V. And maybe even 12V.

The valve should be outside the enclosure.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Don

Do a Google search for a Chilipepper. It connects between the hot and cold
water and when turned on, pumps the hot back to the cold for a user
determined number of seconds. That way all the cold water sitting in the
hot line gets sent back into the home system. No water wasted.

I used one for a couple of years and it worked great. Now I have a separate
line that recirculates the cooled hot water at the end of a line back to the
water heater. That way you have almost immediate hot water at every exit.

Cheap and simple to install if you have access to the farthest point back to
the water heater.

Don

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Paul A :