paulaner

Default Kitchen countertop extending into garden window?

We are doing a kitchen remodel and have chosen to go with Silestone
countertop. We told our contractor about our plans and he installed
an Ideal garden window at the same base level as the cabinetry. It
has windows with cranks on both sides. We thought we could 'open up'
our small kitchen with a nice view of the yard.

This is a good picture of what we are looking to achieve (bottom pic):
http://www.jtwindows.com/page2.html

Well, the Silestone guys showed up to make the template and said that
the window crank base plates were in the way and the counter cannot be
installed into the new windowsill. There was only a half inch
clearance under the base plate, and the counter is one and a quarter
inches thick. They recommended that we get the window base plates and
cranks changed so the counter could be flush with the window edges.

I called Ideal and they cannot make or change a window to fit the
countertop. So I am looking a new solution. Has anyone installed
this type of counter/window successfully?

I see these options:

1. Move the existing window up a few inches above the new countertop
and forget about the flush counter design.

2. Buy a new window (maybe from jtwindows) and try to get some kind
of refund for the Ideal one that doesn't work. btw - we already paid
the contractor, so this may not happen :-(

3. Give up on the Silestone, try to get a refund from home depot, and
have the contractor install a laminate countertop. He may have to
move the window up an inch or so also, but I assume he would not
charge for that since he knew that was our original plan.

Any other suggestions? My wife and I are disheartened about the whole
mess. It took so long to get all the other work done, and we thought
the counter was the last piece.

Has anyone done this remodel? What window company did you use?

DaveW

While it may sound and look like a great idea, consider the difficulty you
will have retrieving items that roll or get pushed into that area. Also
consider
splashes and other liquid/solid spills that will have to be cleaned out of
that area.

Having it level with the top of the backsplash, or the backsplash + the
window molding
may be a better idea from a maintenance standpoint.

"paulaner" wrote in message

We are doing a kitchen remodel and have chosen to go with Silestone
countertop. We told our contractor about our plans and he installed
an Ideal garden window at the same base level as the cabinetry. It
has windows with cranks on both sides. We thought we could 'open up'
our small kitchen with a nice view of the yard.

This is a good picture of what we are looking to achieve (bottom pic):
http://www.jtwindows.com/page2.html

rosie readandpost

Having it level with the top of the backsplash, or the backsplash + the
window molding
may be a better idea from a maintenance standpoint.

VERY good idea!

rosie
(who ends up cleaning all the damn nooks and crannys in this dump!

Might it be simpler to lower that section of cabinet/counter an inch or
three rather than raise the window?