Mistercmk

Default Briggs & Stratton 5HP engine won't stay running

Do you drain the fuel from the machine before you put it away in the winter?
If not, you will most likely need a carb re-build. You can buy a kit to do
this from your local parts dealer. When I re-built my 5hp vertical shaft
Briggs, I threw the carb in the parts cleaner for a while, and it works like
a champ. So, before the re-build, take the carb off, and run some carb
cleaner through it. If that doesn't solve the problem, the next step would
be to re-build the carb.

"Bruce" wrote in message
I have a lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton 5HP Quantum I/C engine
that suddenly developed problems. It's run great for the several
years that I have had the mower (bought it used) and the engine has
been well maintained during that period of time (regular oil/air
filter changes, stored inside and out of the weather).

Last Saturday, while cutting grass, the engine stalled. Each time I
pulled the cord and it would start immediately but quickly stall
(within a few seconds). This engine has a little rubber primer bulb
on the fuel tank that you can use to squirt a little gas into the carb
for a cold start. When I pressed the bulb repeatedly right after the
engine started and began to stall, the engine received enough fuel to
keep running for a few seconds. When I stopped pressing the primer,
it soon stalled.

At first I suspected that the main fuel line was blocked so I took the
air filter and holder off and detached the fuel line from the gas tank
(the primer bulb has a smaller, separate line that goes from it to the
carb). Fuel flowed easily from the tank through the nipple where the
main line attaches. Next I blew some compressed air into the fuel line
and a nice vapor of gas mist exited from the orifice in the carb. I
took the opportunity to blow out the air filter and pre-cleaner screen
(somewhat dirty but not too bad).

I put everything back together but the problem continues -- same
symptoms as before. Anyone have any ideas? I don't know squat about
small engine carburators (or engines for that matter) but would love
to fix this without a trip to the shop.

- Bruce
rbloth at yahoo dom com

PS ... In case anyone needs it here's the model/type/code for the B&S
engine:

126802-3423-01 92111658

Billy

I'm no lawnmower pro but I can tell you that I had this problem just several
weeks ago with my B&S lawnmower engine, and I found that after cleaning and
swapping the spark plug, the problem has *not* continued. Do you get much
dirt or water rust corrosion neat the spark plug cap? I did get the latter,
because I frequently wash parts of the mower down after usage. How about bad
gas?

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce

No, I've never drained the fuel in the past (althought doing it is
simple, makes complete sense, and I'll probably start doing it).

Typically, I'll mix some fuel stabilizer with the last gallon of gas I
by for it in the fall and then use that gas when cutting grass in
Sept/Oct. I've done this every year that I have had the mower, except
last year, of course :-)

Even though it was stored over the winter with fuel, it started fine
in April and has run great until last weekend. Could that still be
varnish in the carb from last winter finally doing its magic?

Thanks!

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:37:09 GMT, "Mistercmk"
wrote:

Do you drain the fuel from the machine before you put it away in the winter?
If not, you will most likely need a carb re-build. You can buy a kit to do
this from your local parts dealer. When I re-built my 5hp vertical shaft
Briggs, I threw the carb in the parts cleaner for a while, and it works like
a champ. So, before the re-build, take the carb off, and run some carb
cleaner through it. If that doesn't solve the problem, the next step would
be to re-build the carb.

Bruce

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:42:11 -0400, "Billy"
wrote:

I'm no lawnmower pro but I can tell you that I had this problem just several
weeks ago with my B&S lawnmower engine, and I found that after cleaning and
swapping the spark plug, the problem has *not* continued. Do you get much
dirt or water rust corrosion neat the spark plug cap?

Spark plug is in good shape ... I took it out on Sat since I didn't
replace it last spring (replaced it in 2001). No carbon build up but
I did run a little sand paper over the contact surfaces.

I did get the latter,
because I frequently wash parts of the mower down after usage. How about bad
gas?

Gas is fresh and OK, I think. Using it in a 15 HP engine with no
problems (so far :-)
CMF

"Bruce" wrote in message
No, I've never drained the fuel in the past (althought doing it is
simple, makes complete sense, and I'll probably start doing it).

Typically, I'll mix some fuel stabilizer with the last gallon of gas I
by for it in the fall and then use that gas when cutting grass in
Sept/Oct. I've done this every year that I have had the mower, except
last year, of course :-)

Even though it was stored over the winter with fuel, it started fine
in April and has run great until last weekend. Could that still be
varnish in the carb from last winter finally doing its magic?

I ran mine out one fall, just let it run about 20 minutes to burn off the
remaining gas. In the spring, the float bowl had water and rust in it. Now,
fuel or not, every spring I have to take off the float bowl and clean it
out, and then put back on. That takes care of my starting problems. For the
record, Honda engine, Texas winter. And it is stored in the Garage.

DJ

Bruce wrote in message . ..
I have a lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton 5HP Quantum I/C engine
that suddenly developed problems.

There is a golden rule:

Always Start With the Stupid Stuff.

Change the plugs.

Change the fuel line.

Change the fuel.

Check the oil.

Almost sounds to me like a pinhole in the fuel line. Sucking air, not
getting enough gas. Check it all the way back to the tank, and check
that little filter on the end (if there is one). If it was plugged, it
would do what you describe.

DJ

tony j. podrasky

Try disconnecting the muffler.

I had a similar problem with my lawnmower.

I went to the local handyman's shop and talked with the owner.
He suggested (the above), and hot dang if that didn't do it!

He could have taken in the mower and charged me "whatever".
Instead he got to sell me a new muffler, and won a loyal
customer who has been back many times.

--
Tony J. Podrasky | He who fights with monsters might take care lest he
tony.podrasky | thereby become a monster.
Stormin Mormon

Time to drain all the old oil out and put new in. Use good quality oil. 5 HP
Briggs motors take 20 ounces for a full oil change, if my memory is working.

Oh, I got my sister's old generator a couple years ago. She said it would
only run for a couple seconds and quit, and so they went out and bought a
new one. I bought it home, added about four ounces of oil, and it runs
perfectly. Don't tell her.... please.... trying to preserve peace in the
family.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bruce" wrote in message
Interesting ... yes and it was low ... A little below the "Add" on the
dipstick. I added some and need to add more. I'll keep this in mind
and add some more to get it up to the correct level.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:26:52 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
I have a lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton 5HP Quantum I/C engine

.. Each time I
pulled the cord and it would start immediately but quickly stall
(within a few seconds). [...]

Have you checked the oil level? Some engines have an automatic shutoff when
the oil level gets too low.

Dean Hoffman

On 8/25/03 9:18 PM, in article ,
"Bruce" wrote:

[...]

I read through about 15 responses and didn't see the air cleaner
mentioned. We have a Honda motorized cart for hauling things into corn
fields. It would run awhile and quit for no apparent reason. We were
convinced it had a fuel problem. It turned out to be a dirty air filter.
Air cleaners are cheap and available at WalMart.

Dean

John Jacob

Sounds like a B&S. Poorly made old tech motors. The carbs are the worse
problems. Full of diaphrams that warp and don't work well.
It is probably dirt or a diaphram driven valve that is bad from dire in
the gas. Try a good cleaning job first. I hope that helps.
Also in the future, add an inline filter if possible. High test gas also
helps keep carbs clean.

JJ

Bruce wrote:

[...]

John Rambo

I had the exect same problem on a Briggs and Stratton powered pressure
washer. When I used the bulb to force gas in the carb it would round
for 5-10 seconds and then die. I tried many of the things suggested
here, new spark plugs, cleaning the air filter, etc - none of these
worked.

I got a manual and the problem ended up being a clogged jet that was
easy to fix. There is a brass screw that holds the bowl on the carb,
take this screw out and there is a tiny hole at the base near the head
of the screw. This hole feeds the gas into the carb normally, so if
it's clogged no gas gets to the engine (pumping the bulb takes the gas
a different route so thats why pumping the bulb works). I used needle
to unblock it and it works like a champ now.