Randy

Default Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

Firstly let me apologize to all of the established genuine driveway
sealer experts, this posting isn't criticizing them.

Have you ever noticed that every summer "Driveway Sealer" experts
magically appear at the end of your driveway offering to coat your driveway
in their "exclusive" product for a bargain price. I shake my head every
time I see them in the neighbourhood.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing their pitch. What exactly are
they promising and for what price? Isn't it just used motor oil there're
spraying?

Randy

mark Ransley

Beware of the GYPSIES ,,,, they fix it all
First your driveway ,,,than your wallet
BIG TIME CONS

mark Ransley

Beware of the GYPSIES ,,,, they fix it all
First your driveway ,,,than your wallet
BIG TIME CONS

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:55:26 -0400, Ron Hardin

So you are saying that there is no reason to keep water out of the
cracks because ice expansion won't make the crack worse?

Expansion of water in the form of ice is a myth?

The water doesn't stay in the cracks. It sinks into the dirt. I can't imagine
a circumstance where it would stay in the crack in fact. Maybe if you built the
driveway on a plastic sheet you could pull it off.

I take it that according to your the cracks must be bottomless,
therefore why seal the cracks if the water just drains to China.

Maybe you should re-write the road commissions handbook on
how to slow down the degradation of the roadways in cold climates.

Ever notice how roads are never sealed?

No..... Roads are sealed. The better the seal the greater
the life expectancy.

Ever notice how roads are never sealed?

No..... Roads are sealed. The better the seal the greater
the life expectancy.

Desert Traveler

Ever notice how roads are never sealed?

No, I haven't. Where I live, there are crews all the time that pour black
goop on cracks in the road. Things may be different where you live.

steve

Brad

In article , bigal8883
@aol.com said...
a road mixed asphalt is one heck of a lot different than what you get in
driveways

If you're looking to get it done cheaply you get what you pay for.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:39:46 -0400, TrentŠ
wrote:

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the
time'?

It doesn't appear to be logical for a parking lot operator to go to
the expense of sealing their lot and then take on the added cost of re
striping the lot (interesting thing is if this is in the US they will
have to bring the spaces up to current ADA compliance too!)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:44:30 -0400, TrentŠ
wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'cosmetic'. Doesn't cosmetic mean there
are minor defects?...which will accelerate into major
defects?...unless repaired when they are minor.

When speaking of driveway sealer and sealing of parking lots cosmetic
means exactly what the Merriam-Webster definition says:

Main Entry: 1cosˇmetˇic
Pronunciation: käz-'me-tik
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek kosmEtikos skilled in adornment, from kosmein to
arrange, adorn, from kosmos order
Date: 1650
1 : of, relating to, or making for beauty especially of the complexion
: BEAUTIFYING cosmetic salves
2 : done or made for the sake of appearance: as a : correcting defects
especially of the face cosmetic surgery b : DECORATIVE, ORNAMENTAL c
: not substantive : SUPERFICIAL cosmetic changes
3 : visually appealing
- cosˇmetˇiˇcalˇly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Sealing will not correct any defects, minor or major and will not
delay the need for repairs - if there are any defects they will have
to be repaired, regardless of any sealing that has been applied. In
fact once a program of periodic sealing has been established it will
be necessary to continue it for precisely the cosmetic purposes it was
applied - the sealer will slough off and leave the "sealed" surface
looking worse than it would have had it not been sealed in the first
place!

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:22:52 -0700, "CBHvac"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the
time'?

It doesn't appear to be logical for a parking lot operator to go to
the expense of sealing their lot and then take on the added cost of re
striping the lot (interesting thing is if this is in the US they will
have to bring the spaces up to current ADA compliance too!)

Done all the time here in NC......and talk about slick when wet..

but seriously..it IS a common practice here..

What part of NC? Never saw a parking lot get sealed in the 12 years
I've been living in NC (Triangle).

CBHvac

wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:22:52 -0700, "CBHvac"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the
time'?

It doesn't appear to be logical for a parking lot operator to go to
the expense of sealing their lot and then take on the added cost of re
striping the lot (interesting thing is if this is in the US they will
have to bring the spaces up to current ADA compliance too!)

Done all the time here in NC......and talk about slick when wet..

but seriously..it IS a common practice here..

What part of NC? Never saw a parking lot get sealed in the 12 years
I've been living in NC (Triangle).

Central NC..bit west of you.
Hell..when I was in Raliegh, several of the lots there were sealed...one or
two on Capital come to mind right off, and thats cause when I was there for
a training class, when we broke for lunch, I was able to slide the van
around like it had casters on it in the rain..