Alexander Galkin

Default Help with concrete!

I have never before worked with concrete so I apologize if I am asking silly
questions. But I really need help. I poured today concrete to fill trenches
I made in my basement concrete floor for under slab plumbing. I used
QUICKRETE general mix that I bought in HomeDepot. I followed manufacture
instructions and added 2/4 gal water to 80 lb concrete mix and thoroughly
mixed them. Finally I got sandy paste that I poured into trenches (I
backfilled trenches with gravel 4" below floor level so new concrete should
be the same thickness of 4" as my existing concrete floor) and leveled
concrete with existing floor level using steel trowel. Now what do I do
next? Do I just let the concrete dry (for how long?) and that's it? And most
important question: how do I make concrete mirror like smooth as my existing
concrete floor? Since concrete mix with added water is actually like sandy
paste I don't expect it to be smooth when it is completely dry?

Colbyt

"Alexander Galkin" wrote in message
[...]

This may be too late to help you and I am far from a concrete pro, so I
defer to any who post.

You dump the concrete in the hole and float it down to level with a mag
float ( a scrap of 2 x 4 will work for a one time project. Pat it gently to
settle the rocks a bit and bring the batter to the surface. Leave it alone
until the surface goes dull, work the surface with your steel trowel, now
you are settling the sand like you did the rocks earlier. Water rises and it
gets wet again. Leave it alone until it dulls and repeat the process. And
maybe another time or 2 until it as smooth as you want it.

If yours dried before you got the response you may be able to use a slurry
mix of Portland cement and water to retro the steel trowel part. You can
save the extra Portland for you next project, I always like to enrich the
bagged quickcrete just a bit with a shovel of Portland per bag for anything
other than fence posts.

Joe Bobst

I always like to enrich the bagged quickcrete just a bit with a shovel of
Portland per bag for anything other than fence posts.

That's a neat idea. The bag stuff is always on the low side for strength anyway
and the portland ought to make it finish better. Wonder if a dab of lime would
hurt...

Joe

Concrete shed base Craig Graham UK diy 4 June 29th 04 07:46 AM
Remove concrete sealer from fresh concrete Steve Miles Metalworking 8 May 25th 04 03:37 PM
Square steel tubing embedded in concrete: Info/Help?? Terry King Metalworking 4 July 18th 03 05:23 AM
How to Stiffen Concrete While Keeping Long Work Time? Jay Chan Home Repair 6 July 11th 03 04:46 AM
Installing an interior French drain, cutting the concrete. andy everett Home Repair 0 July 10th 03 07:43 PM