New Question

Default Cable TV Splitter Signal Strength

There is a cable television line that enters from outside into our basement.
The first device the cable connects to is an in-line Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS.
The Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS is not a line splitter, so I'm assuming it's a
signal booster of some kind. The second device the cable connects to is a
Signal Vision 2-way splitter SV-2G 5-1000MHz, with two 3.5dB outputs.

My goal is to run a third cable line off this line. Thus, I will need to
change the 2-way splitter to a 3-way splitter. Is Cannel Vision a good brand
for a 3-way splitter? Will I need to change the Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS to
match the 3-way splitter?

CMF

"New Question" wrote in message
.. .
There is a cable television line that enters from outside into our

basement.
The first device the cable connects to is an in-line Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS.
The Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS is not a line splitter, so I'm assuming it's a
signal booster of some kind. The second device the cable connects to is a
Signal Vision 2-way splitter SV-2G 5-1000MHz, with two 3.5dB outputs.

My goal is to run a third cable line off this line. Thus, I will need to
change the 2-way splitter to a 3-way splitter. Is Cannel Vision a good

brand
for a 3-way splitter? Will I need to change the Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS to
match the 3-way splitter?

A google search did not show any match for VSGB1GTSS, so I am curious as to
what it is. I have a Viewsonics amplifier in front of me, a VSA-601L. Tell
me, does this VSG... have a power feed to it?

Anyway, any good 3 way splitter should do the trick, and you can put in an
amplifier if necessary. Get the 3 way splitter and just see how the pictures
look.

How's that for a high tech answer!

Maury
Wylie, TX

ps. can you verify the VSGB... number, or get a little more info from the
device? You have me curious.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:21:22 -0400 "New Question"
posted:

There is a cable television line that enters from outside into our basement.
The first device the cable connects to is an in-line Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS.
The Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS is not a line splitter, so I'm assuming it's a
signal booster of some kind. The second device the cable connects to is a
Signal Vision 2-way splitter SV-2G 5-1000MHz, with two 3.5dB outputs.

My goal is to run a third cable line off this line. Thus, I will need to
change the 2-way splitter to a 3-way splitter. Is Cannel Vision a good brand
for a 3-way splitter? Will I need to change the Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS to
match the 3-way splitter?

I don't know, but I would try it without changing and see how it goes.

I only have experience with one house. They had cable boxes when I
got cable and I wanted the cable guy to put the box in the closet. He
wasn't sure it could be put 8 feet away, when usually they were less
than 4 feet away, next to the tv. It worked fine, and later I had
occasion while snaking to run the cable to the front of the house, to
the back, and to the front again, 120 or a 150 feet. It worked fine.

Now everything goes into the VCR and out again. There's an amplifier
there with A) a short line to the bedroom TV, B) a line up to the
attic, a splitter off that line down to the bathroom TV, and the line
ends at the TV in the office. C) through the floor to the living room,
where ther is a splitter to the living room TV, through the floor to
the basement where there is a power amp with two outputs I) to the TV
in the family room, II) a line that goes to the laundry room TV, with
III) a splitter off to the kitchen (up through the wall from the
basement.)

I didn't do all this at once of course. I didn't put in a power amp
until the picture was getting weak somehow, bad synch or weak color or
something. Everything was cheap. Everything works fine. A dollar for
the 2 in 1 splitters. The power amps from RadioShack, one their
smallest maybe and one one size or two higher. I found a wireless
device that lets me control the vcr from the remote from any room in
the house.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

I-zheet M'drurz

On 13 Aug 2003, New Question wrote:

There is a cable television line that enters from outside into our
basement. The first device the cable connects to is an in-line
Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS. The Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS is not a line splitter,
so I'm assuming it's a signal booster of some kind.

Is it powered? (probably a "wall wart" AC adapter?) If not, it
can't be a booster or amplifier, they're "active" devices and need
a power source. If it's just some kind of tube, etc, with no
powering, that's a "passive" device, usually some type of filter.

But in any case...

The second device
the cable connects to is a Signal Vision 2-way splitter SV-2G
5-1000MHz, with two 3.5dB outputs.

My goal is to run a third cable line off this line. Thus, I will need
to change the 2-way splitter to a 3-way splitter. Is Cannel Vision a
good brand for a 3-way splitter?

You don't necessarily need to use a 3-way, you can buy another
2-way and a coax jumper and feed it from one of the output ports
on the 2-way. You will be creating your own 3-way, it will work
electronically the same exact way as a 3-way will.

Point to realize about a 3-way: There is one "low loss"
leg (-3.5 dB) and two "high loss" legs (-7 dB) IOW, you lose
3.5 dB every time you split the signal. Put your most distant
feed from the splitter on the low loss leg.

Will I need to change the Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS to match the 3-way
splitter?

Most likely not, no matter what it is.

--
TP
I-zheet M'drurz

On 13 Aug 2003, New Question wrote:

5-1000MHz, with two 3.5dB outputs.

^^^^^
Forgot to mention: The brand of the passive 2- or 3-way splitter
doesn't mean a whole lot, just make sure it's rated up to 1 GHz
(1000 MHZ) if that's what your cable co is currently installing.
You could possibly find some rated as low as 300 MHz, which would
roll off many of your higher numbered channels.

--
If u want the races for free,

New Question

"CMF" wrote in message
A google search did not show any match for VSGB1GTSS, so I am curious as

what it is. I have a Viewsonics amplifier in front of me, a VSA-601L. Tell
me, does this VSG... have a power feed to it?

The VSG has a green ground wire coming out of it.