Mag

Default Washing machine pipes

We have had to re-route our washing machine drain because of a cracked
line under the slab. Our new lines have about a 6 inch fall from the
washing machine drain pipe, then a pee trap. When the water pumps out
of our machine the water is backing up out of the pipe. When we
finished, we put a hose in the pipe and turned it on and had no
problem with the water draining. What have we done wrong? Thank you
for your replies.
Speedy Jim

Mag wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...
Mag wrote:

We have had to re-route our washing machine drain because of a cracked
line under the slab. Our new lines have about a 6 inch fall from the
washing machine drain pipe, then a pee trap. When the water pumps out
of our machine the water is backing up out of the pipe. When we
finished, we put a hose in the pipe and turned it on and had no
problem with the water draining. What have we done wrong? Thank you
for your replies.

The washer pumps out a greater volume than your hose can.
The drain may simply not be able to handle the volume.
Is the drain 2" size?

Did you put a vertical "standpipe" rising 3 to 4 feet off floor level?
Or was that the 6" referred to.

It's remotely possible that venting is an issue. What does the
drain connect into?

Jim

The pipes are located about 2 1/2 or 3 feet off floor. From the drain
line opening it is about 6 inches straight down to the pee trap then
it runs horizontally around to where it is connected under the kitchen
cabinet. There is no vertical standpipe as I know of. Do you think
that may be our problem or just the volume of water? Thanks Maggie.

Is the pipe plastic (PVC)? The outside diam should be roughly 2 3/8"
for 2inch trade size pipe. If it's more like 1 7/8" diam, the pipe
is too small to carry the volume of water.
The 6 inch vertical is the "standpipe". It's probably too short
to prevent any overflows. Most machines will pump out pretty
high so it *could* be lengthened a bit, assuming the pipe size
is big enough.

I'm just a little suspicious that this drain runs "under the kitchen
cabinet". No telling what was done there...

Jim