Paul

Default Detecting Insulation in Ceiling and Walls

I have a 200 sq ft second story vaulted ceiling room. The ceiling is
the roof. I think there's R19 fiberglass insulation above the drywall
ceiling. The walls are 6" with maybe R29 insulation. There are 3 large
windows that make up about 2/3 the wall volume on walls facing East,
South-East, and South. The windows have a low E film, and wood blinds.

I have excellent AC going to the room with the use of zoning. However,
the room still requires a great deal of AC to keep it at 78 degrees
during the day. Even at night when the temperature drops to the mid to
high 60s, the morning temp of this room will be 77 degrees (no AC).
The other upstairs rooms in the house will be around 75 degrees in the
early morning. If there wasn't enough insulation in the walls and
ceiling, wouldn't this room be much colder in the morning?

I think I've done everything imaginable to improve the cooling in the
room. My next step might be to investigate the insulation in the walls
and ceiling. Would a laser infrared thermometer be a good tool to
determine hot spots caused by poor insulation in the ceiling or walls?
Or is this just a waste of money? What ceiling or wall temp would be
considered excessive? I've checked around the light fixture boxes and
there is insulation. Maybe the whole problem is the large volume of
double pane glass windows relative to the size of the room.

I'm just out of ideas as to what else can be done to improve this
room. I've had several HVAC contractor look at it too, and that
resulted in zoning which works great. Thanks for any suggestions.
3GCPO

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
I have a 200 sq ft second story vaulted ceiling room. The ceiling is
the roof. I think there's R19 fiberglass insulation above the drywall
ceiling. The walls are 6" with maybe R29 insulation.

That is backwards
should be R-19 in 2x6 walls
and double R-30 in ceiling,
one row inbetween the ceiling joists
and the 2nd row perpendicular to the 1st.

There are 3 large
windows that make up about 2/3 the wall volume on walls facing East,
South-East, and South. The windows have a low E film, and wood blinds.

I have excellent AC going to the room with the use of zoning. However,
the room still requires a great deal of AC to keep it at 78 degrees
during the day. Even at night when the temperature drops to the mid to
high 60s, the morning temp of this room will be 77 degrees (no AC).
The other upstairs rooms in the house will be around 75 degrees in the
early morning. If there wasn't enough insulation in the walls and
ceiling, wouldn't this room be much colder in the morning?

is the floor insulated????????????????????/

I think I've done everything imaginable to improve the cooling in the
room. My next step might be to investigate the insulation in the walls
and ceiling. Would a laser infrared thermometer be a good tool to
determine hot spots caused by poor insulation in the ceiling or walls?
Or is this just a waste of money? What ceiling or wall temp would be
considered excessive? I've checked around the light fixture boxes and
there is insulation. Maybe the whole problem is the large volume of
double pane glass windows relative to the size of the room.

I'm just out of ideas as to what else can be done to improve this
room. I've had several HVAC contractor look at it too, and that
resulted in zoning which works great. Thanks for any suggestions.

check for insulation in the floor!
where is the ac unit located (basement or above vaulted ceiling)?
where are the duct vents located (ceiling,walls,floor)?
answer these questions for more info.

_\ \ \ | / / / _
( ' 0 - - 0 ' )
-----ooO----(__)----Ooo-----
3GCPO
I'll wait here while you check

Paul

This is a second story bedroom. HVAC comes from the basement. The
floor of this bedroom is wood and is not insulated. Beneath this room
is a small dining room adjacent to the kitchen. Two registers are on
the floor, underneath 2 of the 3 windows. Think of 1/4 of an octangon
(3 sides), and that gives you an idea of the windows along the outside
walls of the room.

The vaulted ceiling was constructed with standard 2 x 6s with firring
strips to allow for more insulation. The room orignally was not to
have a vaulted ceiling. This is why there is no more insulation in the
ceiling. There is a ridge vent running along the roof above the room.

Thanks.

"3GCPO" wrote in message ...
"Paul" wrote in message
om...
[...]

3GCPO

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
This is a second story bedroom. HVAC comes from the basement. The
floor of this bedroom is wood and is not insulated. Beneath this room
is a small dining room adjacent to the kitchen. Two registers are on
the floor, underneath 2 of the 3 windows.

Bingo!
you just said it
"Two registers are on the floor,

where do you think all that cold air is going ?(on the floor)
a ceiling fan to lift the cold air off the floor will help.
cold air vents in the ceiling or high on the wall work better.

Think of 1/4 of an octangon
(3 sides), and that gives you an idea of the windows along the outside
walls of the room.

use blinds or sun block shades to lessen the sun rays.
this may help some.
do you have Low-E glass in the windows?

The vaulted ceiling was constructed with standard 2 x 6s with firring
strips to allow for more insulation. The room orignally was not to
have a vaulted ceiling. This is why there is no more insulation in the
ceiling. There is a ridge vent running along the roof above the room.

Thanks.

\

make sure that your soffit vents are NOT covered with insulation.
blocked soffit vents will build up heat in the ceiling.

_\ \ \ | / / / _
( ' 0 - - 0 ' )
-----ooO----(__)----Ooo-----
3GCPO

Paul

Already using a ceiling fan. Windows are low E and also have wood
blinds. Can't check soffit vents for insulation because this is a
vaulted ceiing with no attic. The ceiling is directly under the roof
(and insulation). Also have 1 return about 8 feet off the floor.
Thanks.

"3GCPO" wrote in message ...
"Paul" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Paul

Already using a ceiling fan. Windows are low E and also have wood
blinds. Can't check soffit vents for insulation because this is a
vaulted ceiing with no attic. The ceiling is directly under the roof
(and insulation). Also have 1 return about 8 feet off the floor.
Thanks.

"3GCPO" wrote in message ...
"Paul" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Garage ceiling - what to use? Richard Sterry UK diy 46 April 18th 04 02:42 PM
Shed conversion - dry lining and ceiling Stephen Gilkes UK diy 1 February 23rd 04 05:52 PM
Boiler probs lodtop UK diy 114 December 17th 03 10:34 AM
Shop insulation / covering recommendations Dukester Woodworking 7 December 9th 03 02:25 PM
Fire stopping in basement walls Mark or Sue Home Repair 1 July 11th 03 09:06 AM