Best location for Dehumidifier?

Old August 2nd 03, 05:52 PM
Arthur

Default Best location for Dehumidifier?

I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase. Cold
air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?

My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Arthur

--
For email replies:
Remove xy99spam

Old August 2nd 03, 10:22 PM
David Efflandt

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003, Arthur wrote:
I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase. Cold
air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?

My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Cold air cannot hold as much total moisture as warmer air, so condensation
would tend to occur at the lowest location. A dehumidifier chills the air
to condense moisture, and then uses it for cooling, making it somewhat
warmer, drier and lighter. Or taken to the extreme, which way does water
run?

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/
Old August 3rd 03, 02:24 AM
Joseph Meehan

Given time the humidity will be even, it will not sink or float up or
down. I would suggest several factors that you may want to consider.

First as noted, you should choose a spot where you can drain it
directly.

I would suggest choosing a location as close as possible to the source
of the humidity.

Along the same lines would be a location that has good airflow to the
damp area.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old August 4th 03, 05:27 PM
CBHvac

Turtle

You know you are beating a dead horse right?
Altho....its something different than what TPP is slappin...

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
On 02 Aug 2003, David Efflandt wrote:
Arthur wrote:

I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase.
Cold air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?
My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Cold air cannot hold as much total moisture as warmer air, so
condensation would tend to occur at the lowest location. A
dehumidifier chills the air to condense moisture, and then uses it for
cooling, making it somewhat warmer, drier and lighter. Or taken to
the extreme, which way does water run?

*or*... g

...unless you want this dehumidifier to be a total pain in the
ass, you'll probably want it down low as possible.

Why? For it to be most effective and as maintenance free as
possible, it should run 24/7 without shutting down waiting for
somebody to drain the pan. IOW, you should use the hose port
(most of them have one that you can use to avoid filling the
drain pan) and route it to the closest floor drain. If that's
a possible scenario, I'll assume you want to avoid plumbing a
hose or drain pipe down the staircase.

If you can't set iy up for use with a drain, you'll eventually
regret buying it!

HTH.

--
TP

This is Turtle.

Tom Do you like to repeat what other posters have said or do you live in a
barrel where there is a bunch of echo's. David Efflandt said what was the
right answer and you just repeated it.

OK OK OK , Tom Tom Tom , Stop Stop Stop, Re Re Re , Peat Peat Peat , ing

ing
ing. Did Did Did , You You You , Hear Hear Hear , Me Me Me ???

TURTLE

Old August 4th 03, 05:34 PM
HvacTech2

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 04-Aug-03 At About 00:16:28, Stormin Mormon wrote to All
Subject: Best location for Dehumidifier?

SM From: "Stormin Mormon"

SM On the local home repair show, some weeks ago they suggested mounting
SM a dehum about three feet up from floor level. And good air
SM circulation to the unit. So it doesn't make a dry corner and not dry
SM out the rest of the cellar.

What the hell are you talking about?? humidity transfers quite nicely through
air and no matter where you put the dehumidifier the whole open area will be
the same. you really need to stop trying to answer these questions!!

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Old August 4th 03, 06:21 PM
CBHvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On the local home repair show, some weeks ago they suggested mounting a
dehum about three feet up from floor level. And good air circulation to

the
unit. So it doesn't make a dry corner and not dry out the rest of the
cellar.

BINGO!

We just found out where Mr Young, a self proclaimed HVAC guru is getting his
training...on the Home repair network.

Gravity drain into whatever kind of drain, the only way to go. My parents
have two dehum in the cellar, and both of them drain through garden hose.

Good for your parents. There are times, (as you will find out when you get
proper training) that a gravity feed is not the ONLY way to go.
There are times, and situations where a condensate pump is the better
method....

--

Christopher A. Young
.

offensive tag line snipped

Old August 5th 03, 03:08 PM
Stormin Mormon

One of the wonderful things about usenet. You can continue to tell people
why things won't work, give dire predictions, and tell others to stop giving
advice.

And I will just go on being as polite and kind as I usually am.

I'm a believer in air circulation being needed for dehums. I believe that
setting the dehum in the corner will dry out the corner more than the rest
of the cellar.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old August 5th 03, 04:34 PM
mark Ransley

When I first instaled my dehumidifier in the basement, I put it in a
corner over a drain, it was boxed in by the furnace and washer dryer,
it cycled often and did not dehumidify well, I moved it to mid room ran
a hose to the drain and raised it up. The difference was very noticable
in controling humidity

Old August 5th 03, 05:59 PM
Stormin Mormon

I'm sure glad to hear from someone who has actual, field tested experience.
I mean, it's so easy to sit at your computer and dispense bad advice. But,
only a very few people actually have real life experience. Thank you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old August 5th 03, 06:21 PM
HvacTech2

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 05-Aug-03 At About 01:08:32, Stormin Mormon wrote to All

SM From: "Stormin Mormon"

SM One of the wonderful things about usenet. You can continue to tell
SM people why things won't work, give dire predictions, and tell others
SM to stop giving advice.

SM And I will just go on being as polite and kind as I usually am.

SM I'm a believer in air circulation being needed for dehums. I believe
SM that setting the dehum in the corner will dry out the corner more
SM than the rest of the cellar.

And this is why you will never be much good at this trade. you must always be
willing to learn and keep an open mind which you do not. as I said before. a
dehumidifier will evenly dehumidify an open area as long as it is sized
properly.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... Do files get embarassed being unZIPped ?

___ TagDude 0.92+[DM]
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Location of isolation valve for gas hob? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 2 March 4th 04 09:10 PM
consumer unit location Mark UK diy 8 February 18th 04 12:39 AM
Using signal generation to detect the location of a line breakin my Asimov Electronics Repair 0 November 17th 03 03:34 AM