Arthur

Default Best location for Dehumidifier?

I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase. Cold
air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?

My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Arthur

--
For email replies:
Remove xy99spam

David Efflandt

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003, Arthur wrote:
I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase. Cold
air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?

My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Cold air cannot hold as much total moisture as warmer air, so condensation
would tend to occur at the lowest location. A dehumidifier chills the air
to condense moisture, and then uses it for cooling, making it somewhat
warmer, drier and lighter. Or taken to the extreme, which way does water
run?

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/
Joseph Meehan

Given time the humidity will be even, it will not sink or float up or
down. I would suggest several factors that you may want to consider.

First as noted, you should choose a spot where you can drain it
directly.

I would suggest choosing a location as close as possible to the source
of the humidity.

Along the same lines would be a location that has good airflow to the
damp area.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Arthur" wrote in message
I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase. Cold
air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?

My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Arthur

--
For email replies:
Remove xy99spam

CBHvac

Turtle

You know you are beating a dead horse right?
Altho....its something different than what TPP is slappin...

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
On 02 Aug 2003, David Efflandt wrote:
Arthur wrote:

I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase.
Cold air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?
My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Cold air cannot hold as much total moisture as warmer air, so
condensation would tend to occur at the lowest location. A
dehumidifier chills the air to condense moisture, and then uses it for
cooling, making it somewhat warmer, drier and lighter. Or taken to
the extreme, which way does water run?

*or*... g

...unless you want this dehumidifier to be a total pain in the
ass, you'll probably want it down low as possible.

Why? For it to be most effective and as maintenance free as
possible, it should run 24/7 without shutting down waiting for
somebody to drain the pan. IOW, you should use the hose port
(most of them have one that you can use to avoid filling the
drain pan) and route it to the closest floor drain. If that's
a possible scenario, I'll assume you want to avoid plumbing a
hose or drain pipe down the staircase.

If you can't set iy up for use with a drain, you'll eventually
regret buying it!

HTH.

--
TP

This is Turtle.

Tom Do you like to repeat what other posters have said or do you live in a
barrel where there is a bunch of echo's. David Efflandt said what was the
right answer and you just repeated it.

OK OK OK , Tom Tom Tom , Stop Stop Stop, Re Re Re , Peat Peat Peat , ing

ing
ing. Did Did Did , You You You , Hear Hear Hear , Me Me Me ???

TURTLE

HvacTech2

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 04-Aug-03 At About 00:16:28, Stormin Mormon wrote to All
Subject: Best location for Dehumidifier?

SM From: "Stormin Mormon"

SM On the local home repair show, some weeks ago they suggested mounting
SM a dehum about three feet up from floor level. And good air
SM circulation to the unit. So it doesn't make a dry corner and not dry
SM out the rest of the cellar.

What the hell are you talking about?? humidity transfers quite nicely through
air and no matter where you put the dehumidifier the whole open area will be
the same. you really need to stop trying to answer these questions!!

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

CBHvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On the local home repair show, some weeks ago they suggested mounting a
dehum about three feet up from floor level. And good air circulation to

the
unit. So it doesn't make a dry corner and not dry out the rest of the
cellar.

BINGO!

We just found out where Mr Young, a self proclaimed HVAC guru is getting his
training...on the Home repair network.

Gravity drain into whatever kind of drain, the only way to go. My parents
have two dehum in the cellar, and both of them drain through garden hose.

Good for your parents. There are times, (as you will find out when you get
proper training) that a gravity feed is not the ONLY way to go.
There are times, and situations where a condensate pump is the better
method....

--

Christopher A. Young
.

offensive tag line snipped

"Arthur" wrote in message
I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase. Cold
air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?

My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Arthur

--
For email replies:
Remove xy99spam

Stormin Mormon

One of the wonderful things about usenet. You can continue to tell people
why things won't work, give dire predictions, and tell others to stop giving
advice.

And I will just go on being as polite and kind as I usually am.

I'm a believer in air circulation being needed for dehums. I believe that
setting the dehum in the corner will dry out the corner more than the rest
of the cellar.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

mark Ransley

When I first instaled my dehumidifier in the basement, I put it in a
corner over a drain, it was boxed in by the furnace and washer dryer,
it cycled often and did not dehumidify well, I moved it to mid room ran
a hose to the drain and raised it up. The difference was very noticable
in controling humidity

Stormin Mormon

I'm sure glad to hear from someone who has actual, field tested experience.
I mean, it's so easy to sit at your computer and dispense bad advice. But,
only a very few people actually have real life experience. Thank you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

What the hell are you talking about?? humidity transfers quite nicely
through
air and no matter where you put the dehumidifier the whole open area will be
the same. you really need to stop trying to answer these questions!!

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92?+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

HvacTech2

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 05-Aug-03 At About 01:08:32, Stormin Mormon wrote to All

SM From: "Stormin Mormon"

SM One of the wonderful things about usenet. You can continue to tell
SM people why things won't work, give dire predictions, and tell others
SM to stop giving advice.

SM And I will just go on being as polite and kind as I usually am.

SM I'm a believer in air circulation being needed for dehums. I believe
SM that setting the dehum in the corner will dry out the corner more
SM than the rest of the cellar.

And this is why you will never be much good at this trade. you must always be
willing to learn and keep an open mind which you do not. as I said before. a
dehumidifier will evenly dehumidify an open area as long as it is sized
properly.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... Do files get embarassed being unZIPped ?

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

HvacTech2

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 05-Aug-03 At About 03:59:17, Stormin Mormon wrote to All

SM From: "Stormin Mormon"

SM I'm sure glad to hear from someone who has actual, field tested
SM experience. I mean, it's so easy to sit at your computer and dispense
SM bad advice. But, only a very few people actually have real life
SM experience. Thank you.

Hmmmm, taking the advice of a homeowner with one unit when I have seen and
serviced hundreds. I have a feeling it is only because he agrees with you
Hint: he as well as you is wrong. how do you think nortec humidifiers work?
you do know what that is don't you?? as for experience, I have 27 years in
the field as opposed to your 2 or so?

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
CBHvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
One of the wonderful things about usenet. You can continue to tell people
why things won't work, give dire predictions, and tell others to stop

giving
advice.

And give out wrong and incorrect advice while playing a professional when
all you are is an out of work trainee...

And I will just go on being as polite and kind as I usually am.

and dont forget hypocrital...when someone tells you to screw off enough
times, your solution is to killfile them, and hide...

I'm a believer in air circulation being needed for dehums. I believe that
setting the dehum in the corner will dry out the corner more than the rest
of the cellar.

Then you really dont have a clue about HVAC...at all...
But we knew that..

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

HvacTech2

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 05-Aug-03 At About 17:40:15, Joseph Meehan wrote to All

JM From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM The circulation is good and certainly will not hurt, but it really is
JM not necessary. The moisture will even out in the air.

I don't think it does any good to say anything to him. he just doesn't want
to listen and admit he is wrong.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
the_plumber

Stormin Mormon wrote:

One of the wonderful things about usenet. You can continue to tell people
why things won't work, give dire predictions, and tell others to stop giving
advice.

Nobody cares how polite and kind you think you are. Your advice is as
bunk here as it was in alt.hvac. As is your religion.

--
Mormonism Revealed

http://www.irr.org/mit/
http://nowscape.com/mormon/zindler1.htm
http://www.answeringlds.org/
http://www.saintsalive.com/mormonism.html
http://www.watchman.org/lds/index.htm
http://nowscape.com/mormons1.htm

the_plumber

HvacTech2 wrote:

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 05-Aug-03 At About 01:08:32, Stormin Mormon wrote to All

And this is why you will never be much good at this trade. you must always be
willing to learn and keep an open mind which you do not.

-= HvacTech2 =-

Well yeah he does.. He's learning from the mindless usenet retardo boy,
mark Ransley.

dkarnes

Default oasis Dehumidifier?

HvacTech2 wrote:

[...]

i hope the experts havactech, cbhvac or dano can help me with my dehumidifier.
it is a oasis model d30l-003p. i believe the humidistat(i think that is what it
is called) knob will not shut it off. it runs all the time no matter what. can
i get the part at a appliance repair place and most important is it fairly easy
to install. thanks jdk

dkarnes

HvacTech2 wrote:

Hi dkarnes, hope you are having a nice day

On 05-Aug-03 At About 18:46:26, dkarnes wrote to All
Subject: oasis Dehumidifier?

d From: dkarnes

d dehumidifier. it is a oasis model d30l-003p. i believe the
d humidistat(i think that is what it is called)

Actually it is a dehumidistat.

d knob will not shut it
d off. it runs all the time no matter what. can i get the part at a
d appliance repair place and most important is it fairly easy to
d install. thanks jdk

I would start by trying to find the manufacturer online. from there you can
find their nearest distributor. as far as ease of installation, I don't know
your abilities so I can't say. if you have any doubts you could look up
their nearest authorized repair center. hmmm, Just a thought but maybe it is
in warranty?

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

no it is 4 years old. i am fairly handy. i have not looked at the cabinet and
how it comes off. if the humidistat is held by screws and wired i can handle
that. but i have never taken one apart before. thanks

CBHvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'm sure glad to hear from someone who has actual, field tested

experience.
I mean, it's so easy to sit at your computer and dispense bad advice. But,
only a very few people actually have real life experience. Thank you.

Yea..it sucks ass when you are an out of work HVAC grunt..you
know...installer, and not even a tech, and you go around dispensing bad
advice from behind your computer....its soooo easy...
As far as real life experence...you have none in AC and I doubt you have met
Jesus to know much about him..really.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

What the hell are you talking about?? humidity transfers quite nicely
through
air and no matter where you put the dehumidifier the whole open area will

be
the same. you really need to stop trying to answer these questions!!

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92?+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Stormin Mormon

I presume your cellar or wherever is dry enough that it SHOULD shut off?

I can't comment on the appliance placing having one, but they are a fairly
simple replacement.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dkarnes" wrote in message
HvacTech2 wrote:

i hope the experts havactech, cbhvac or dano can help me with my
dehumidifier.
it is a oasis model d30l-003p. i believe the humidistat(i think that is what
it
is called) knob will not shut it off. it runs all the time no matter what.
can
i get the part at a appliance repair place and most important is it fairly
easy
to install. thanks jdk

dkarnes

Liam McGowan wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I presume your cellar or wherever is dry enough that it SHOULD shut off?

I can't comment on the appliance placing having one, but they are a fairly
simple replacement.

You shouldn't comment on anything. You're a clueless newbie installer.
Your advice is bunk, like your religion.

--
Mormonism exposed:
http://www.irr.org/mit/
http://nowscape.com/mormon/zindler1.htm
http://www.answeringlds.org/
http://www.saintsalive.com/mormonism.html
http://www.watchman.org/lds/index.htm
http://nowscape.com/mormons1.htm

Joseph Smith exposed:
http://www.truth-in-love.org/josephsmith.htm

thanks to everyone. i am calling then number given and then probably go to a
good appliance repair store and see if i can get one. thanks again jdk

Joseph Meehan

Default oasis update

Yea, I know them, they are on North Hamilton Ave on the East side near
the airport. They mostly make commercial products.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"charlie karnes" wrote in message
thanks again dan o and others. i called their number and they are
located here in cols ohio. the guy on the phone was very nice. also he
said the part was about 15.00 and the company was owned by a local family.

David Combs

In article ,
HvacTech2 wrote:

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 04-Aug-03 At About 00:16:28, Stormin Mormon wrote to All

SM From: "Stormin Mormon"

SM On the local home repair show, some weeks ago they suggested mounting
SM a dehum about three feet up from floor level. And good air
SM circulation to the unit. So it doesn't make a dry corner and not dry
SM out the rest of the cellar.

What the hell are you talking about?? humidity transfers quite nicely through
air and no matter where you put the dehumidifier the whole open area will be
the same. you really need to stop trying to answer these questions!!

-= HvacTech2 =-

I don't know about humidity, but I do know about my
own window-air-conditioner: lot colder near the AC
than in the far part of the room.

Which is why I put a large fan directly in front of the
louvers, to blast that cold (and dry) air around the room.

Also, I note that even there's a doorway, wide open,
usually, into the bathroom, when I carry the (very)
large fan over to the bathroom door and start blasting
room-air into the bathroom, the air that comes out
is far more humid than the rest of the room.

(No, shower is not on, no leaky faucets.)

------

QUESTION: do OTHER people have similar experience
with (window) AC -- or is the air pretty much the
same temp and humidity THROUGHOUT the room?

David

Stormin Mormon

Default AC Windowshaker cools one side of room

Try the fan blowing TOWARDS the AC. I can't explain it, but it sure cools a
lot better. I've tried towards and away, both, and towards cools better.

My windowshaker cools right in front of it, and hardly at all on the other
side of the room.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Combs" wrote in message

I don't know about humidity, but I do know about my
own window-air-conditioner: lot colder near the AC
than in the far part of the room.

Which is why I put a large fan directly in front of the
louvers, to blast that cold (and dry) air around the room.

Also, I note that even there's a doorway, wide open,
usually, into the bathroom, when I carry the (very)
large fan over to the bathroom door and start blasting
room-air into the bathroom, the air that comes out
is far more humid than the rest of the room.

(No, shower is not on, no leaky faucets.)

------

QUESTION: do OTHER people have similar experience
with (window) AC -- or is the air pretty much the
same temp and humidity THROUGHOUT the room?

David

Stormin Mormon

Try fan blowing towards the AC. Seems to wrok better, though I don't totally
know why.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Combs" wrote in message

I don't know about humidity, but I do know about my
own window-air-conditioner: lot colder near the AC
than in the far part of the room.

Which is why I put a large fan directly in front of the
louvers, to blast that cold (and dry) air around the room.

Also, I note that even there's a doorway, wide open,
usually, into the bathroom, when I carry the (very)
large fan over to the bathroom door and start blasting
room-air into the bathroom, the air that comes out
is far more humid than the rest of the room.

(No, shower is not on, no leaky faucets.)

------

QUESTION: do OTHER people have similar experience
with (window) AC -- or is the air pretty much the
same temp and humidity THROUGHOUT the room?

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, 2 August 2003 17:52:02 UTC+1, Arthur wrote:
I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase. Cold
air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?

My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of
the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?

Arthur

--
For email replies:
Remove xy99spam

hi if i leave my dehumidifier in the lounnge will it do a 2 bed house ok without moving it thanks

Location of isolation valve for gas hob? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 2 March 4th 04 10:10 PM
consumer unit location Mark UK diy 8 February 18th 04 01:39 AM
Using signal generation to detect the location of a line breakin my Asimov Electronics Repair 0 November 17th 03 04:34 AM