2nd story on post / beam

Old July 31st 03, 03:34 AM
barry martin

Default 2nd story on post / beam

Hi Tim!

T Hello all. My wife and I own a 3/2 single story home, 1100 square
T feet.
T We are thinking of adding a second story to increase the living space.
T There's not too much room to add outward, hence we thought a second
T story would make the most sense.
T The home was built in 1948 and is a post and beam construction with a
T crawl space. The current roof is a rafter style construction and
T there is one large load bearing wall running through the middle of the
T house.

Probably the hardest part is going to be determining where the
stairway to your new second story is going to be, or is this the "3/2"
part? House here is "1ź" story and there was finished stairway to the
room in the attic.

Last summer we added a master bedroom and bath above the dining room
addition a previous owner had built on to the back of the house.
Definately get a contractor who should get an architect to determine
loads and other design specifications. Contractor should also obtain
all the necessary permits, obtain electricians, plumbers, roofers,
drywallers, etc. You can do your own painting, hire your own carpet
installers.

T Is it a major deal adding a second story to a post and beam home, i.e.
T jacking up the house to reinforce the beams, etc.. etc..

I'm thinking not much of a problem but don't know the details.
Presume it boils down to the contractor ripping off the existing roof
and plopping a second story (with roof) up there. You might be able
to add a foot or so to the existing footprint with cantilevered
construction -- house in the next block over did that.

BTW, expect some additional settling. The dining room addition here
was also built over a crawl space (the original house has a basement)
and it appears with the additional weight there was some slight
shifting in the DR: just enough to rip the wallpaper at a couple of
drywall seams.

-
» barry.martin■AT■thesafebbs.zeppole.com «

* The purpose of a skeleton is to hitch the meat to.
---
■ RoseReader 2.52ß P003186
■ The Safe BBS ■ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
■ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *