Deborah

Default doorbell wiring help

While replacing an old doorbell, which was working, my husband got the
wires all mixed up and now we don't know what to hook up where. It
looks as if it was wired for three doors but we only have two... so
three sets of red and white wires (twisted together in pairs)and
another which has red white and green. The doorbell unit itself has
Back, Front and Transformer. Can someone please tell which wires go
where?

Thanks in advance,

Deborah
volts500

"volts500" wrote in message
. ..

"Deborah" wrote in message
om...
While replacing an old doorbell, which was working, my husband got the
wires all mixed up and now we don't know what to hook up where. It
looks as if it was wired for three doors but we only have two... so
three sets of red and white wires (twisted together in pairs)and
another which has red white and green. The doorbell unit itself has
Back, Front and Transformer. Can someone please tell which wires go
where?

Thanks in advance,

Deborah

Here's a web page that may help you figure out what is what:

http://www.homewiringandmore.com/hom...ng/doorbell/do
orbell.html
You'll need to figure out which twisted pair is the transformer feed
though. You can do that by selecting any twisted pair and connect the

white
wire to the "common" screw on the doorbell then touch the red wire to

either
of the other two screws........if the doorbell activates, you've found the
transformer feed.......continue until you find the transformer feed. Once
you've found the transformer twisted pair, connect the white wire to the
"common" screw on the doorbell. Wire nut the red from the transformer
twisted pair to the other two red wires of the remaining two twisted

pairs.
Then connect the two remaining white wires to the other screws on the
doorbell.......you may have to reverse those two wires depending on what
sound that you want each push button to make. The 3 wire twisted pair is
probably a feed to another doorbell..........in which case you connect

those
three wires to the three screws on the first doorbell, then check the

other
doorbell to see that those wires are connected to the corresponding

screws.
Check the web page if the above is not the case, as your wiring scheme may
be different than what I've stated.

Sorry, that link doesn't take you straight to the page.........you can still
click on the link, click "home", then "site map", then "doorbell system".

Deborah

"volts500" wrote in message m...
"volts500" wrote in message
. ..

"Deborah" wrote in message
om...
[...]

WONDERFUL!!! Thank you Thank you! I now have a chime at both doors!!
but... only the back door button has the light on, any suggestions?

Deborah

Joseph Meehan

If the front door button rings the bell and does not light, it is likely
defective.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Deborah" wrote in message
om...
"volts500" wrote in message

m...
"volts500" wrote in message
. ..

"Deborah" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Tim Fischer

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
If the front door button rings the bell and does not light, it is

likely
defective.

Yep -- the light is simply wired across the switch, so if you don't get a
light, it's pro'lly burned out.

-Tim

Deborah

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message news:_2aWa.29702$o%2.16480@sccrnsc02...
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
If the front door button rings the bell and does not light, it is

likely
defective.

Yep -- the light is simply wired across the switch, so if you don't get a
light, it's pro'lly burned out.

-Tim

It's not the light because I changed the button and still nothing.

Joseph Meehan

Or the socket or wires to the light.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Deborah" wrote in message
om...
"Tim Fischer" wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
If the front door button rings the bell and does not light, it is

likely
defective.

Yep -- the light is simply wired across the switch, so if you don't get

light, it's pro'lly burned out.

-Tim

It's not the light because I changed the button and still nothing.

volts500

"Deborah" wrote in message
om...
"Tim Fischer" wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
If the front door button rings the bell and does not light, it is

likely
defective.

Yep -- the light is simply wired across the switch, so if you don't get

light, it's pro'lly burned out.

-Tim

It's not the light because I changed the button and still nothing.

The push button activates the doorbell then, just no light? Did you
accidentally purchase a push button that doesn't have a light?

Deborah

"volts500" wrote in message m...
"Deborah" wrote in message
om...
"Tim Fischer" wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
If the front door button rings the bell and does not light, it is

likely
defective.

Yep -- the light is simply wired across the switch, so if you don't get

light, it's pro'lly burned out.

-Tim

It's not the light because I changed the button and still nothing.

The push button activates the doorbell then, just no light? Did you
accidentally purchase a push button that doesn't have a light?

Okay, I took it back off and guess what? NO LIGHT... I guess I will
go buy the buttons and restrict him from messing with doorbells again!

Thanks so much for your help.

Deborah