Ben C

Default Major ceiling crack

Hi

My new home has a gigantic crack across the bedroom ceiling running
diagonally from corner to corner. The ceiling sags in the middle too and it
disintegrates if I try gently pushing it up with my fingers. Above the
ceiling is the loft - I've gone up and looked at it from the other side and
beneath the insulation are the wooden beams running the length of the house
and beneath that is the plasterboard that forms the ceiling.

The plasterboard obviously needs replacing, but it's such an embedded part
of the building that I don't know how to go about this. Can it be done
without removing the beams that support the roof? This is a major job and I
would appreciate any advice before I try calling in the 'professionals'...

Cheers,
Ben

Joe Bobst

This is a major job and I would appreciate any advice

You need a hands-on kind of structural engineer person to see this disaster.
Ask to have recxommendations as to what part of the work you can do yourself
and what should be jobbed out because of special tools or equipment. Good
advice will always save you a bundle and is worth the price. HTH

Joe

Wade Lippman

Are the beams sagging, or just the drywall?

If it is just the drywall, then it is not such a big deal. Did your roof
leak at some time, and the ceiling got water damaged?

Wade Lippman

Are the beams sagging, or just the drywall?

If it is just the drywall, then it is not such a big deal. Did your roof
leak at some time, and the ceiling got water damaged?

JTM

"Ben C" wrote in message
Hi

My new home has a gigantic crack across the bedroom ceiling running
diagonally from corner to corner. The ceiling sags in the middle too and it
disintegrates if I try gently pushing it up with my fingers. Above the
ceiling is the loft - I've gone up and looked at it from the other side and
beneath the insulation are the wooden beams running the length of the house
and beneath that is the plasterboard that forms the ceiling.

The plasterboard obviously needs replacing, but it's such an embedded part
of the building that I don't know how to go about this. Can it be done
without removing the beams that support the roof? This is a major job and I
would appreciate any advice before I try calling in the 'professionals'...

The fact that this crack runs diagonally across several sheets of drywall
indicates a serious stuctural issue such as foundation settling, termite damage,
water damage, among other things. The underlying problem(s) need to be
addressed before attempting any repair.

Get an independent assessment from a house inspector or engineer (someone not
connected with anyone doing repairs). Do not take advantage of offers for
"free" inspections from people in the business of doing repairs.

Regards,

John