Travis Jordan

Default Kenmore Dishwasher - Troubleshoot?

tippybob wrote:
I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher, about 2-1/2 years old. It recently
stopped working; some of the leds on the control panel blink on and
off, but I can't select a cycle or get any action by pressing the
start button. The Sears technician was here today and after seeing
the symptoms informed me that I need a new control panel and computer
module. The total cost for repairs will be over $400.00, and I had to
pay a $70 service call fee just to get the estimate. The dishwasher
had a 2-year warranty on the electronics, and is certainly not worth
repairing at that price. Anyway, before I send this unit to the junk
pile, I would like to see if there is anything I can check myself. I
am handy with tools and a voltmeter, and would like any suggestions as
to what I might be able to check myself. Is there a separate power
supply for the electronics, or anything else that might be simple to
check and/or repair? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Bob

It's a long shot, but is this of any help?

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
tippybob wrote:
[...]

http://pub103.ezboard.com/fappliance...age?topicID=47
8.topic

Art Begun

Dishwashers seem to be for the birds these days. My Asko import
require 4 repairs in 6 years so I dumped it. My new 3 rack Maytag has
flimsy racks and sometimes would run the rinse only cycle 3 times
instead of once. The latter problem may be solved finally after 5
service visits but since it is intermittent I cannot be sure yet.

"tippybob" wrote in message
m...
[...]

jeff

(tippybob) wrote in message om...
[...]

Hi,

Tech sheet is usually tucked under the lower panal(s), or between the
door panals or in the consol...it should have tests/checks for
checking your unit.

The dishwasher
had a 2-year warranty on the electronics, and is certainly not worth
repairing at that price.

Next d/w will have dial control??!!??

*Most* electronic controls had a 5 year parts warranty, I would check
into that!

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
tippybob

[...]

Thanks to everyone who replied. Looks unlikely that it might be a
simple (cheap!) repair, so I am going to get a new dishwasher. Yes,
the salesman had told me that there is a 5-year warranty on the
electronics, but the booklet that came with the dishwasher said that
there is only a 2-yr warranty, so Sears will not cover the repairs. I
did call Sears and register a complaint, but they aren't willing to
make any exceptions to their policies.

Apparently Sears now first sends an "estimator" on each repair. The
man who came to my house spent only 3 or 4 minutes and then gave me an
estimate of over $400 for a repair. He obviously wasn't equipped to
do any repairs himself - he just goes around from house to house
collecting $70 a pop just like he did from me. People who want to
proceed with a repair then schedule a real technician to visit (no
credit given for the cost of the estimator's visit). I guess now most
home appliances are designed to be thrown away rather than repaired,
just like home electronics.

jeff

(tippybob) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Thankx for the update!!

Good luck with Sears

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
tippybob

"Dave Harnish" wrote in message ...
Hi Bob,

I've seen a few of these, Whirlpool - branded, and it's
impossible to prove a diagnosis without disassembling and
testing each touch pad for shorts with a VOM, via the ribbon
cable.

snipped

Dave,

Thanks for the advice - it looks fairly easy to install new
components. The symptoms a timer display blinking "79", and one or
two leds blinking on the front panel. I will check with Sears to see
about getting a new touchpad assembly.

Regards,

Bob
Dan O.

Before you send the unit to the land fill, why don't you get a second
opinion from the company which actually made the dishwasher?

Sears doesn't make any products they sell and you can tell whom made your
Kenmore product using the model number *off the appliance* and the chart at
the following link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/parts/sears.html

Once you find who, contact a local *factory authorized* service depot for
that manufacturer to see if they can help (or at least delve into it a
little(?) deeper).

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+dishwasher

=Ð~~~~~~

tippybob wrote in message

[...]

Art Begun

Default Kenmore Dishwasher - Troubleshoot? (some advice for Bob)

Sears service quality seems to vary dramatically depending on where
you live in the country. It has always been adequate in my area
judging by my experience but one of the news shows had an expose a
while back about how people with Sears service agreements waited
months for service and parts in certain areas.

"Mad Mac" wrote in message
s.com...
Just a few comments (as an ex-Sears appliance tech) re Bob's

experience.

1) Something doesn't sound right here. Sears do not, so far as I'm

aware,
send out "estimators" - the people who come to your home are repair

techs,
who are qualified to carry out repairs. It may have been that he

would have
had to arrange a return visit because he would have had to order

parts.

2) $70 sounds like a trip/estimate (diagnostic) charge. This IS

applied
towards the total repair charge. The only time there is a "basic"

charge
like that is if you decline an estimate. If you have your receipt

from the
tech, it should say something like "38 - CUSTOMER DECLINES

ESTIMATE".

3) I never worked dishwashers, but the 2 year parts warranty on

"electronic
controls" sounds about right. The tech who comes to your home has

some
discretion as to extending the waranty period and/or applying a

customer
satisfaction discount (up to a point). My personal inclination,

given your
circumstances, would have been to cover the parts "in warranty" and

charge
trip/labour. If the tech feels that the level of discount necessary

is
beyond his/her authority, they can contact their manager for
guidance/approval. Your receipt should have a local address/phone

number -
suggest you call that number and ask to speak to a Technical

Manager. I
don't know what area you're in, but where I worked (LA/Ventura

counties,
California), the managers there were fairly decent about keeping

customers
such as yourself (who had spent a considerable sum of money in the

fairly
recent past) happy.

Dan O.

"Dave Harnish" wrote

I've seen a few of these, Whirlpool - branded, and it's
impossible to prove a diagnosis without disassembling and
testing each touch pad for shorts with a VOM, via the ribbon
cable.

snipped

Dave,

Thanks for the advice - it looks fairly easy to install new
components. The symptoms a timer display blinking "79",
and one or two leds blinking on the front panel. I will check
with Sears to see about getting a new touchpad assembly.

tippybob wrote in message

One more thing - is there any way to tell whether the
problem is with the touchpad assembly or the computer
module? The sears person was going to order/replace
both, but if I could be sure which was bad and replace
it myself, it would make sense from a $$$ standpoint,
rather than to buy a new dishwasher.

On electronically controlled dishwashers there is often a 'tech sheet'
behind the access panel and/or inside the motor compartment in a small
pocket or pouch. That tech sheet *might* provide a key to the touchpad's
ribbon connector in which case it may be able to be tested with an ohm
meter.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+dishwasher

=Ð~~~~~~

Arra Movsesien

We just got a new dishwasher a 60 lb labrador retreiver,, even get off
the grease

Arra Movsesien