Lenine

Default New furnace blower noise problem

Hello -

I just had a new furnace installed. The blower is horribly loud. There is
no way that I can live with this noise, but the installer said that's how
all of the high-efficiency furnaces are now. I really don't believe anyone
would put up with this.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the blower noise on a furnace?
Assuming that it was installed correctly, that is. I wasn't able to find
much in a google search of groups.

Thanks for any info -

Dutchie

David Efflandt

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:31:52 GMT, Lenine wrote:
I just had a new furnace installed. The blower is horribly loud. There is
no way that I can live with this noise, but the installer said that's how
all of the high-efficiency furnaces are now. I really don't believe anyone
would put up with this.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the blower noise on a furnace?
Assuming that it was installed correctly, that is. I wasn't able to find
much in a google search of groups.

Is it blower noise from the air whooshing through the ducts, or something
from forced air induction of the burner. My neighbor has some sort of
(modulating?) high efficiency furnace with PVC inlet/outlet on the side of
their house, that in the dead of the night, I first thought was somebody
casing the neighborhood (sounds like a V8 engine on fast idle). If I can
hear it from next door (across a double lot), I cannot imagine how noisy
it must be in their house (they do say it is noisy).

I have an older home with single pipe steam heat which is relatively
quiet.

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/
Wade Lippman

I am not (repeat "not") a HVAC expert, but the HE furnace on my old house
was intolerably loud. I was able to cut the noise by half by gluing wood to
the ducts. It damped the vibrations significantly. It was still noisy, but
at least I could live with it.
The house is still there 12 years later, so it didn't start a fire!

The one I just put in my new house isn't bad at all; so obviously it isn't
"all" of them.

Art Begun

Is it just at startup or all the time? One of my 3 gas furnaces was
very loud at startup. I thought it was the attic one and it was just
noise going thru the sheetrock ceiling and nothing could be done..
After 2 years of that, I'm in the basement and the noisy one starts
off like a roar. Turned out the source was the basement and the gas
pipe was close to a PVC exhaust pipe and that vibrated against the PVC
when the thing started up creating a roar throughout the house. A
sponge between the 2 solved the problem forever.

"Lenine" wrote in message
Hello -

I just had a new furnace installed. The blower is horribly loud.

There is
no way that I can live with this noise, but the installer said

that's how
all of the high-efficiency furnaces are now. I really don't believe

anyone
would put up with this.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the blower noise on a

furnace?
Assuming that it was installed correctly, that is. I wasn't able to

find
much in a google search of groups.

Thanks for any info -

Dutchie

Jim Walter

I have a very similar situation. The noise occurs while the furnace
is running (the noise of a fan sucking air though the intake vents).

I have a Carrier furnace unit situated in a corner wall, which faces
the kitchen/family room. There are air-intake vents on either side of
the corner. The fan from the unit creates excessive noise (in the
kitchen and family room) when it is running.

"Lenine" wrote in message
Hello -

I just had a new furnace installed. The blower is horribly loud.

There is
no way that I can live with this noise, but the installer said

that's how
all of the high-efficiency furnaces are now. I really don't believe

anyone
would put up with this.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the blower noise on a

furnace?
Assuming that it was installed correctly, that is. I wasn't able to

find
much in a google search of groups.

Thanks for any info -

Dutchie

Jim Walter

"Lenine" wrote in message
Hello -

I just had a new furnace installed. The blower is horribly loud.

There is
no way that I can live with this noise, but the installer said

that's how
all of the high-efficiency furnaces are now. I really don't believe

anyone
would put up with this.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the blower noise on a

furnace?
Assuming that it was installed correctly, that is. I wasn't able to

find
much in a google search of groups.

Thanks for any info -

Dutchie

Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise Quddus UK diy 5 June 28th 04 11:09 AM
TV static charge noise Marky Electronics Repair 6 April 7th 04 06:31 AM
Blower speed Mike Hide Woodworking 2 August 3rd 03 05:22 AM
Sony G410R Monitor problem (and bad Sony support) Steeve M Electronics Repair 7 July 15th 03 01:24 AM