Cory Lechner

Default screws through stucco into sheathing??

I am putting vinyl siding on the front of our house that presently has the
rock style stucco on it.

I want to put furring strips, then siding right over top of the stucco, but
I need a screw to go through the 1/2" furring strip, them self tap through
the stucco, then into the plywood sheathing. Any ideas what I could use? I
might try screws that are used for self tapping into cement flooring board
(though isn't this cement board a lot softer than stucco?). I tried
ordinary screws, and they don't want to penetrate the stucco? Any advice
would be great! I don't want to have to drill a pilot hole each time I put
in a screw!

Cory

Motor Man

Cory Lechner wrote:

I am putting vinyl siding on the front of our house that presently has the
rock style stucco on it.

I want to put furring strips, then siding right over top of the stucco, but
I need a screw to go through the 1/2" furring strip, them self tap through
the stucco, then into the plywood sheathing. Any ideas what I could use? I
might try screws that are used for self tapping into cement flooring board
(though isn't this cement board a lot softer than stucco?). I tried
ordinary screws, and they don't want to penetrate the stucco? Any advice
would be great! I don't want to have to drill a pilot hole each time I put
in a screw!

Cory

Yes. Jim McNamara does. He will be along anytime now to instruct you
in this. He is an expert at everything in the entire universe. He's
the Anti-Christ.

Cory Lechner

The stucco is the rock style, so it is fairly even & level...

"mark Ransley" wrote in message
you could try tapcons they might be a bit expensive, another issue you
may not have thought of is the uneveness of stucco and how you new
siding may come out very bad. any waviness will be magnified with
siding . you should check your lath before putting your siding up to be
sure its all level. Its possible it will not work.