GE Dryer won't stay running.

Old July 6th 03, 02:33 PM
jeff

Default GE Dryer won't stay running.

"Oscar_lives" wrote in message news:5KMNa.47435$fG.32181@sccrnsc01...
My 1997 electric GE clothes dryer won't stay running. It runs for a while
and then stops in the middle of the cycle. If I push the start button it
will restart right away, but will quit again after a few minutes. This
happens on any cycle (timed or auto) or on any temperature.

The blower/exhaust is clear-- and there is good airflow through the 3 foot
vent system. It doesn't appear to be getting too hot. I doubt if it is the
motor overload--seems that would keep it from restarting until it cooled
off.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Model#??
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Model# helps.

The blower/exhaust is clear-- and there is good airflow through the 3 foot
vent system.

Vent hood is ok, benting behind the dryer is not pinched, ducts inside
the dryer are ok.

I doubt if it is the
motor overload--seems that would keep it from restarting until it cooled
off.

Still could be the motor, but many GE dryers have a safety/limit
thermostat in series with the motor...if this thermostat senses poor
air flow or too hot in the element cage area the dryer goes off, this
usually needs cooling down time as well before going again.

Loose wire ( in dryer or in main power supply ), door switch, timer
contacts, belt break switch are -some- possible trouble makers.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Old July 6th 03, 03:18 PM
Oscar_lives

"jeff" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Model DPXQ473ET3WW

Serial SR737195A

Old July 8th 03, 12:58 AM
jeff

"Oscar_lives" wrote in message news:KcWNa.51052$Xm3.12538@sccrnsc02...

Model DPXQ473ET3WW

Serial SR737195A

This is the dryers safety/thermal switch that may be tripping, usually
can bypass it to test...
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=276438

Belt break switch which is down beside the motor...
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=271552

Motor if needed...
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=275427

Timer contacts have been known to be wishy/washy on these dryer, but
usually effects the heat only.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Old July 8th 03, 11:41 AM
jeff

"Oscar_lives" wrote in message news:KcWNa.51052$Xm3.12538@sccrnsc02...

It runs for a while and then stops in the middle of the cycle. If I push the start button it will restart right away, but will quit again after a few
minutes.

Might be worth having a volt meter handy to ensure that none of the
power or nuetral lines are opening up to the dryer as well...a loose
wire/connection in the supply may also intermittantly open/stop the
dryer a well

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/