Colbyt

Default Septic Tank, should it be filled with water?

"Pop" wrote in message
I think its a 1,000 gal. tank. I had it pumped 2 weeks ago. No
problems but it had been two years since last pumping. Everybody in
the neighborhood has to replace there's when they sell due to title 5
septic laws. Most wont pass inspection for sale.

Tank cover is 3 feet down. I added a 2 foot riser so I only have to
dig 1 foot down.

Before it was pumped 2 weeks ago I took the cover off and the water
level was right at the cover. After it was pumped, the water level was
about 6' - 8' down from the lid.

I just went out to bury the riser lid and checked the level. It is
right up to the lid again.

Is this normal?

I'm not sure how these systems work. Solids fall to the bottom of the
tank while the water fills the tank and drains out the "leeching
field".

?????

Any info on this subject would help!

Thanks

Rather than offer my opinion, try these links:

http://www.eco-nomic.com/indexsdd.htm

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/c819-2w.html

Or paste this seach string into your favorite search engine for 57000 more
sites to visit.

septic +system +design

dadiOH

Pop wrote:
I think its a 1,000 gal. tank. I had it pumped 2 weeks ago. No
problems but it had been two years since last pumping. Everybody in
the neighborhood has to replace there's when they sell due to
title 5 septic laws. Most wont pass inspection for sale.

Tank cover is 3 feet down. I added a 2 foot riser so I only have to
dig 1 foot down.

Before it was pumped 2 weeks ago I took the cover off and the water
level was right at the cover. After it was pumped, the water level
was about 6' - 8' down from the lid.

I just went out to bury the riser lid and checked the level. It is
right up to the lid again.

Is this normal?

You have to pump after two years??? My last was after seven and it
didn't need it.

The water level should be at the same height as the drain line. If it
is higher, it means the thing isn't draining into the leech field.
Why? Clogged pipes, saturated drain field, whatever...regardless, it
would require attention.

--
dadiOH
________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
Get it at http://www.gbronline.com/xico/
_________________________________

Eric Tonks

Are you talking about a septic tank or sess-pool? You don't want to disolve
the sludge at the bottom of a septic tank as they will then move out into
the tile bed/drainage field and clog it up. This is what pumping is for. Now
sess-pools, if and where they are allowed are a different story, possibly
you would want to disolve the solids to have them drain out the pool (and
polute the ground water!).

"Home Guy" wrote in message
. net...
Every seven years or so my pool needs servicing. I was told that it's a
waste of money to pump a pool. Several professionals suggested that
chemicals and aeration is the best method of attack. If the pool isn't
draining then pumping will not help it much. You need to take care of the
Aeration will clean the sides of the pool and bottom while the chemicals
will help dissolve the sludge and solids. Figure on spending about 300.00.

"Lorence M" wrote in message
Pop wrote:

[...]

When my septic tank was installed last year I was advised to fill
it with water. The idea is to weigh the tank down, to prevent
it from floating up out of the ground after a heavy rain. An empty
tank is like a bubble in loosely packed saturated ground.
It is normal for one side of a septic tank to be full. The overflow
is what is pumped out to the field.