Paul Franklin

Default Broken garage door spring

Dave,

Most big box stores don't carry them because they can be quite
dangerous to install. I suggest you do a google search on torsion
spring installation and you will get lots of warnings not to do this
yourself.

That said, I replaced two of them myself with little difficulty.
Bought them at sears hardware, but that was a few years back; don't
know if they still stock them. If you are at all unsure of your
ability to do this, call a pro...it's not that expensive.

Measure the diameter of the spring, its length, and the diameter of
the spring wire to get the proper size replacement.

HTH,

Paul

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:50:42 -0400, "DJA" wrote:

The lift spring on my older automatic garage door broke today. This is a
single coil spring (torsion) type system with a rod running horizontally in
the header above the door. As the door opens and closes, the rod and spring
turn as one. This "loads" the spring (when closing) to counter the weight of
the door.

I ran to Home Depot to see if I can buy a new torsion spring but all they
have are the extension springs that mount parallel to the top track on each
side. Can I still buy torsion type springs? Do I have to convert to the
extension type system?

Thanks,
Dave

Gene Moon

I just had that happen to me last week, I had someone come in and do it,
cost $40 per spring (I had two) and $75 for the labor, but for what he did,
I wouldn't want the chance of losing a finger over it.

Gene

"DJA" wrote in message
The lift spring on my older automatic garage door broke today. This is a
single coil spring (torsion) type system with a rod running horizontally

in
the header above the door. As the door opens and closes, the rod and

spring
turn as one. This "loads" the spring (when closing) to counter the weight

of
the door.

I ran to Home Depot to see if I can buy a new torsion spring but all they
have are the extension springs that mount parallel to the top track on

each
side. Can I still buy torsion type springs? Do I have to convert to the
extension type system?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just had a torsion spring go on a double car garage door. I did all
the reasearch and knew how to measure and get all the info, but when I
priced the springs and would be at $100, just for springs I called and
got several quotes and they went from $190 to $400. I called the $190
guy and he was here in 30 minutes, took 2 hours, and away he went.

A couple interesting things we
a) He replaced the springs with the door in the up position, which
meant no pressure on the springs. He said he always did it this way
becasue it was much, much safer. I watched and it was.

b) He carried springs in 10' lengths in his truck and then just cut
them to the exact length. Put new end caps and hardware on and
reassembled everything.

I do alot of things myself, but this was not one I really wanted to
tackle from what I had read, but watching him do this with the door in
the up position sure made a lot of sense.

I commend him on how he disconnected all power sources, clamped the
door to make sure it did move, and wore glasses. Very professional
and nice guy.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:16:02 GMT, Paul Franklin
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 08:34:37 -0500, Big John
wrote:

[...]

Replacing garage door springs is one of the few tasks where you might
NOT want to make it a do-it-yourself project.

Unless you have the specialized knowlege and experience, you can
either kill or severely injure yourself if you mess up.

As the poster indicates, most urban areas have competent professionals
who can do the job for a fair price.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Replacing a spring isnt rocket science . It is something most anyone could
learn with say an hour of instruction and supervised experience. It is
something that you dont want to screw up. I did and put a steel bar you use
to adjust it with through the ceciling. I knew what I was doing I just let
it slip out of my hand. I must admit I didnt know you could cut them to
length, that news to me.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Replacing a spring isnt rocket science . It is something most anyone could
learn with say an hour of instruction and supervised experience. It is
something that you dont want to screw up. I did and put a steel bar you
use to adjust it with through the ceciling. I knew what I was doing I just
let it slip out of my hand. I must admit I didnt know you could cut them
to length, that news to me.

Jimmie

Hey Jimmie,

You sound knowledgeable, my question isn't rocket science either.
Can you help me convert my springs. I want to change one 140 pound 8x7
garage door with 400-8 drums from 10,000 to at least 25,000 cycles?
Door currently uses two springs measuring .187 wire x 18.5 length x 1-3/4
inside diameter.
What would the dimensions for 25,000 cycle springs be?

Thanks,

George

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Hi George, I never worked on them long enough to get that envolved with
them, Worked about six months and never saw anything that had to be figured
out like this. The boss probably knew how but after 20 years he had it all
in his head, I doubt if there was anything he hadnt seen before. I imagine
he is retired now with his sons doing the work, Im sure they have a copmuter
program to work something like this out if there is actually any call to do
this. Like I said an hrs instruction for replacement and repair not design.
Well after 6 months there I got a job with Raytheon doing missile
maintenance. After 19 years I still dont have to know how to design a
missile either.

My question is why would you want to replace them before they needed it. I
would get the life out of what I had already paid for before I replaced
them. I think the ones you have would probabaly last about 15 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1-3/4" x .207" x 28.5" wound 7.9 turns with 400-8 drums will give you 25,000
cycles.
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/torsion-spring.html

Rich
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

That would be for one pair of springs with the dimensions specified.

Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818