Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:31:30 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
typed:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:07:13 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

And, I sometimes thought it would be interesting if all outlets were
designed so that there would be not "up" or "down" position. For
example, if all duplex outlets had the ground pin of each outlet on
each end and the other two prongs in the center, then there would be
no "up" or "down" orientation -- the outlet would look the same
regardless of which way it was installed. But, there would be
problems with that idea because that would result it the hot side
screw of one outlet being on the same side as the neutral side screw
of the other outlet in the duplex.

Like this

http://www.legrand.us/~/media/produc...=0&h=181&w=181

Wow, interesting! Yes, like that! -- except maybe a duplex receptacle
instead of a "quad".

I found this info on the one you posted:

SPECIFICATION GRADE QUAD RECEPTACLE, 415W , Pass & Seymour

http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour...uads/415w.aspx

I have also seen a duplex with them going up and down (ground on both
ends)
There is a quad out there with them in all 4 orientations too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:

wrote:

[...]

I have never seen one, but I would like to find one so I could check it out
and see how they are constructed etc.
There is a quad out there with them in all 4 orientations too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2016 06:25 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

[snip]

And every *consumer* right-angle or wall-hugging plug I've ever seen was
designed for the ground pin on the bottom.

I have several of those adapters (converts duplex grounded outlet to 6),
with the outlets on the sides. There seems to be nothing about them that
would be better with one orientation (ground down or ground up) than the
other.

--
86 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so
few engage in it." -- Henry Ford
Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR posted for all of us...

A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house were
"upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin hole at the top and
the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I agree that, to me, they "look"
like they are upside down, and I think they would "look" better with the
ground pin hole on the bottom. But, my belief is that the National
Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question and that there is no right
or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that
electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down" and
that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the bottom to
pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down" and the
other way is the "correct" orientation?

Let us NOT go through this again, especially as this was brought up just
last week. DAGS

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/30/2016 03:14 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Yah, so much drama. After the inspection, switch them to any position you like.

I guarantee it's faster to reorient the receptacles than to fight a bunch of brainless bureaucrats at city hall.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 09:17:18 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

In article , says...

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
[...]

This is a question I tackled, successfully, years ago, here at Sunset
Chateau.
The neutral pin on the top is a safety precaution all us expert
electrical types know about and perform on a routine basis. The
purpose of such arrangement is to prevent a short should, for example,
someone drop a metal object on partially exposed pins.

May the Eye of Horus be which you.

You're partially correct. The ground pin is not known as a neutral pin.
The flat blade that's currently made wider than the other flat blade is
the neutral. While both of them are grounded, the neutral is intended
to carry current, and the ground only carries current in the event of a
fault. It is safer to have the ground on top for the reason you
mentioned, but I know of nothing in the NEC that dictates which way you
mount them, unless it's a recent change.

This was one of my main complaints with electrical inspectors, back when
I had to deal with them. Sometimes they make **** up and claim it's a
code violation, when it isn't. We had an old saying: "Those who can,
do. Those who can't, inspect".

Expect Fakey along any hour now to embarrass himself by proving his
fathomless ignorance of all things electrical engineering. Again.

--
Friendly Neighborhood Vote Wrangler Nadegda

Fakey couldn't teach a monkey to eat a banana, much less answer a direct
question posed to him. -- Fakey's Dogwhistle Holder
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
[...]

The FVNWe needs to come along and straighten out Checkmate's
display of electrical ignorance.

Poor Checkmate claims the neutral pin/wire carries the current.

Duh, doesn't he know there needs to be a circuit before any
current may be carried. Thus it needs the neutral and the
hot to carry the current. It doesn't need the ground. This
is why one can snip off the ground pin on a power tool so
it can be plugged into a two-slot outlet.

HTH

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."

Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.flame,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article ,
says...

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
[...]

You're ignorant enough, without going out of your way to appear more so.
Of course the power flows between the neutral side and the hot side.
Most novices refer to grounds and neutrals as if they were the same
thing, because both are grounded. They're not the same thing for the
reason that I so eloquently stated. Now go butter up your butt and
paddle your little dong dinghy to shore for some Friday night fag
****ing.

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.flame,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:33:25 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote:

You're ignorant enough, without going out of your way to appear more so.
Of course the power flows between the neutral side and the hot side.
Most novices refer to grounds and neutrals as if they were the same
thing, because both are grounded. They're not the same thing for the
reason that I so eloquently stated. Now go butter up your butt and
paddle your little dong dinghy to shore for some Friday night fag
****ing.

Oh damn! Didn't you promise to stop by the boat tonight for
that?

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.flame,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:46:06 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:33:25 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote:

You're ignorant enough, without going out of your way to appear more so.
Of course the power flows between the neutral side and the hot side.
Most novices refer to grounds and neutrals as if they were the same
thing, because both are grounded. They're not the same thing for the
reason that I so eloquently stated. Now go butter up your butt and
paddle your little dong dinghy to shore for some Friday night fag
****ing.

Oh damn! Didn't you promise to stop by the boat tonight for
that?

I wouldn't stop by if your bote was parked across the street.

I'm thinking of putting it on a trailer and driving to
Washington state where I can park it on a certain vacant
lot in Yachats. LOL.

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 11:21:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:18:13 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house were
"upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin hole at the top and
the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I agree that, to me, they "look"
like they are upside down, and I think they would "look" better with the
ground pin hole on the bottom. But, my belief is that the National
Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question and that there is no right
or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that
electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down" and
that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the bottom to
pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down" and the
other way is the "correct" orientation?

Short answer, No. There is no rule about how they are mounted and
there is even a school of thought that ground up is better. Something
falling between the plug and the wall would hit the ground.

Typically when a receptacle is different than the rest, it is
switched.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wanted the ground pin up on the construction sites where I worked. There was a concern about an extension cord plug being partially pulled out of the wall and someone dropping a suspended ceiling tie wire and it hitting the wall, sliding down and landing on the exposed prongs. I've seen it happen on other job sites where the ground pin was down and the plug was pulled out a bit. There were some sparks until the breaker kicked and a good plug was ruined. Me and my fellow electricians repaired a lot of extension cords for the other trades like carpenters who sawed their cords in half. If an electrical accident can happen, it often does on a construction site. Most are minor like those with damaged extension cords but tragically there are those rare occasions when some idiot gets in contact with a live 4160 line. o_O

Here in Birmingham, the electrical inspectors want the ground pin up but in the next city over, the inspectors don't care about the sexual orientation of an electrical outlet. If you look at right angle dryer cords, the ground pin is at what I think of as the top end of the plug. Coat hangers can be good electrical conductors. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-App.../dp/B00009W3PA

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-App.../dp/B0014KO11O

[8~{} Uncle Grounded Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 5:55:24 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

news 04:44:33 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Any inspector who wont pass someone's wiring because of the
mounting direction of outlets is an idiot. I'd like to see that
one taken in front of a board of electricians. It's not code, so
it cant be enforced either way.

If local code exists specifying ground pin up in a specific location,
it's to be ground pin up. Just because NEC doesn't care one way or
another doesn't mean you'll have power connected because you chose to
violate local code. You'll **** off the inspector, they'll be a real
hardass when they come to inspect you for the second time.

Until you pass inspection, your jobsite doesn't go farther than temp
power and, as the name implies, it's temporary power. Keep ****ing
around, you won't even have temp power on the jobsite. Nobody will
like you then.

Word may get around that you're a troublemaker, too. Until your work
passes their inspection, the power company isn't going to hook up
permanent power. Having the reputation as a troublemaker and one who
holds up job sites can put you out of business. Nobody wants to deal
with a self righteous asshat who costs them more time and money.

Arguing with an electrical inspector is like wrestling with a pig in
the mud. Sooner or later, you'll realize, the pig is enjoying it.
--

Rule #1 in the electricians handbook: Never argue with the electrical inspector. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Agreeable Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 10:56:30 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
HerHusband was thinking very hard :

and quoted someone without attribution.

I think they look stupid when they are upside down (ground on top). I
put them with ground on bottom because thats what I'm used to and what
looks best.

and then added

I agree, but I suppose that's due to the way we recognize faces in humans
and most animals. We are accustomed to seeing two eyes on top and a mouth
below. So we tend to see faces even in inanimate objects. When the ground
is placed on top, it just instinctively looks "wrong". At least that's my
theory...

Does that cloud look like an electrical outlet?

LOL

As an aside, one of the purported reasons I read for the ground-up
orientation was that children see a face and try to feed it a nice meal
of paperclips. I'm not entirely convinced of that myself, but there it
is. Two other reasons which made sense were that pictures mounted on
walls with metal wires, and the metal escutcheons on the receptacles
themselves are the perceived hazards.

Apparently none of those were compelling enough for NEC to jump on
board.

[...]

If the screw holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can fall onto the hot and neutral as a plug is removed or is partially unplugged. Whenever I installed receptacles, I install them ground up for a vertical installation and neutral up for a horizontal installation. That's the way I've done it, you can do it your way. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Outlet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:57:58 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

This was discussed recently. Some inspectors want the pin up. The
reason is that in an office a paper clip fell and hit the prongs of a
plug that was not pushed in fully. Pin up would not let it short.
IIRC, national code does not mention it.

I've seen a short-circuit twice from metal getting behind the plug. One *was* caused by it being "prong up", a hospital bed was *raised* and came between the wall and 2 prongs. The other was a pull chain that was too long and hitting the hot wire. In the 2nd case up or down would have made no difference.
I can see why there is no code.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 12:57:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:47:40 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

TimR formulated the question :
It has never made sense to me that the probability of something conductive
landing on the blades was high enough to be detectable. Of course it's not
that hard to do it however the inspector wants.

One problem with that is reading a KilloWatt meter.

European outlets don't have that problem. The pins are insulated halfway
such that the tips don't make contact until they're completely inside.
Ground is top AND bottom IIRC, and pins side by side.

I think the real issue, not yet mentioned, is that a child can plug in a cord
with his/her fingers on the blade. That is FAR more likely than dropping a
paperclip on it.

Oh yeah, that one too, but not just for children. The idea that the
thumb on top might contact the hot blade when plugging or unplugging.

Many possible reasons, but none compelling enough for NEC to mandate.

New Zealand may have a better idea on plugs and receptacles
The plugs have handles on them and the receptacle has a switch so you
can plug things in and turn them on after they are plugged in.
The switch is upside down by our standard tho.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/New%20Zeala...plug%20cap.jpg

Heck those folks are in the opposite hemisphere where everything is upside down. They even drive on the wrong side of the road! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Upside Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2016 07:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Me and my fellow electricians repaired a lot of extension cords for the other trades like carpenters who sawed their cords in half.

Couple years ago my employer got fined by OSHA for having repaired extension cords on the premise. Now when a cord is damaged, both the plug and receptacle must be cut off immediately to prevent use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster expressed precisely :
[...]

One person's metallic receptacle escutcheon is another's metal outlet
cover. They're both screwed if it is a shock hazard when becoming
unscrewed.

Bottom line, there is no NEC code and no proof yet of any local code
mandating either orientation, and evidence of both can be found in the
wild for plugs and receptacles. I suspect it is an inspector's
prerogative to mess with installation people by saying "It's code".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster submitted this idea :
wrote:

[...]

http://www.kordking.com/products/pow...ight-angle.php
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 8:00:07 AM UTC-5, Mr. Safety wrote:
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Good choice Mr. Safety, but often there isn't enough room in the box to use it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2016 01:32 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 8:00:07 AM UTC-5, Mr. Safety wrote:
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Good choice Mr. Safety, but often there isn't enough room in the box to use it!

When it comes to electrical safety, there are no 'short' cuts.

Demo the wall and put in a bigger box. While you're at it, put in a new entrance panel with AFCIs. It's for the kids!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 7:49:45 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
[...]

It is, the inspectors in Birmingham want the ground pin up but the next city over, the electrical inspector doesn't care about the sexual orientation of the outlet. Something to do with a Supreme Court decision. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Plugged Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 3:28:16 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
Me and my fellow electricians repaired a lot of extension cords for the
other trades like carpenters who sawed their cords in half. If an
electrical accident can happen, it often does on a construction site.

Many years ago I spent 2 weeks in the woods, camping with a bunch of friends
and helping a friend build a large cabin on his land. He had a generator so
we had power tools. Sometime near the beginning of the build, someone told a
story about someone else cutting the cord on a circular saw. "Don't cut the
cord!" became sort of rallying cry for the trip. Very often, when someone
turned off a circular saw, someone would yell out "Don't cut the cord!". The
cry would echo from all over the build site, with various people yelling
"Don't cut the cord!", then "Don't cut the cord!", one after another until it
until it finally died out.

On the last day that I was there, guess what I did? Yep, I put the saw down
on the cord as the blade was still spinning and cut the cord. The generator
made a weird noise and just about everyone heard the saw make a noise as the
cord wrapped around the spindle.

It was silent for a second then someone from a far corner of the build site
called out "He cut the cord." The echo chant now changed from "Don't cut the
cord!" to "He cut the cord.", "He cut the cord.". The timing was perfect and
we ending up laughing so hard it hurt.

Cousin I-Cut-The-Cord Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr. Safety explained :
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Prevents 'wall warts' too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote :
[...]

What about the mens rooms, do they have to have prongs sticking out of
the walls so that they feel comfortable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W...-Residential/d
p/B0012DKBL2

Good choice Mr. Safety, but often there isn't enough room in the box
to use it!

Another option, albeit not real attractive, is to use a weatherproof outlet
cover:

https://www.amazon.com/MM410C-Weathe...or-Receptacle-
Protector/dp/B001JEPX44/ref=sr_1_1

Plug the cord in, close the cover, and nothing it going to fall between the
plug and the outlet, not even rain.

I suppose you could paint the cover to match the wall. Perfect for those
situations where you're constantly dropping pieces of metal on your
electrical outlets.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Oct 2016 11:12:28 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

Mr. Safety explained :
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Prevents 'wall warts' too.

Good catch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote: "holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can fall onto the hot and neutral as a plug is
removed or is partially unplugged. Whenever I installed receptacles, I install them ground up for a vertical installation
and neutral up for a horizontal installation. That's the way I've done it, you can do it your way. ^_^ "

^ +1!! ^

Uncle Logical Monster!
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the screw holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can
fall onto the hot and neutral as a plug is removed or is partially
unplugged.

Sheesh, what's with all the loose screws and plugs falling out of outlets?

I can't recall EVER seeing a loose cover plate screw. Assuming they were
tightened when installed, why would the screw work loose? The screw would
not only have to loosen up, but it would have to back out a half inch for
the cover plate to fall off. Even if that were to happen, a plastic cover
plate would solve that problem.

- Use a quality outlet with a plastic cover plate.
- Don't use the back-stab connectors.
- Make sure the plug is fully inserted into the outlet.
- Position the cord where it won't get snagged to pull the plug out.
- Eliminate situations where things could fall on the outlet.
- Use a protective cover if the risk cannot be avoided.

Orient the outlet however the inspector wants it, or what works best for
your situation or personal preference.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2016 10:53 AM, HerHusband wrote:

[snip]

https://www.amazon.com/MM410C-Weathe...or-Receptacle-
Protector/dp/B001JEPX44/ref=sr_1_1

The broken link led to a nice picture of a dog.

The receptacle cover should keep metal objects from falling in. At least
until someone gets tired of dealing with it and removes it.

[snip]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2016 10:12 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Mr. Safety explained :
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Prevents 'wall warts' too.

There are those "power strip savers", 8-inch extension cords.

--
85 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sin: A system devised by the sadistic to manipulate the brainless"
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.flame,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 19:10:52 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'm thinking of putting it on a trailer and driving to
Washington state where I can park it on a certain vacant
lot in Yachats. LOL.

Just sail it 'round the Horn...

It would be easier to sail it around Canada since
Al Gore says there is no ice up there anymore due
to AGW.

LOL!

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 1:32:11 PM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

What happens is a cord often gets yanked sideways putting stress on the outlet and the twisting motion plus vibration can work a cover screw loose. I've seen metal cover plates fall right off where the Bakelite plates shatter.. I like the nylon plates because they don't break. But a lot of problems can be eliminated if spacers are used on the screws behind the ears on the outlet to stabilize it by bringing it out far enough so the outlet cover is not under stress. The spacers are for sale in the electrical area of your local Lowe's Depot. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

IOn Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 10:15:03 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Is there anyone here who has NOT cut the cord of his hedge trimmer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 9:27:48 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:

Is there anyone here who has NOT cut the cord of his hedge trimmer?

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer. ;-)