Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Large Garden Window over Small Bathroom Window

Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

PS - Then I could put a back on it and seal it well against the window frame, like this...
http://i68.tinypic.com/1076xq9.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 17:12:23 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

What do you think about [...] a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

I had to look at the picture to see what you meant. I've never in my
life ever seen such a construct, not imagined such a thing.

I cannot see any 'pro'. 'Con's:

- More glass to break, clean, lose heat.
- Glass angled to break due to falling objects. (Hail, branches.)
- In the way of ladder when cleaning gutter, painting, etc.
- In the way if you need to dig close to house. (Bathroom drain.)
- In the way cutting grass, raking leaves, etc.
- Damage to house during install. (Ref: in-wall vent pipe & wires.)
- Damage to house if it works loose.
- Looks ugly from outside.
- Dangerous manouver in slippery tub for view better than current.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 21:42:02 -0400, Mike Duffy
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 17:12:23 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

What do you think about [...] a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

I had to look at the picture to see what you meant. I've never in my
life ever seen such a construct, not imagined such a thing.

I cannot see any 'pro'. 'Con's:

- More glass to break, clean, lose heat.
- Glass angled to break due to falling objects. (Hail, branches.)
- In the way of ladder when cleaning gutter, painting, etc.
- In the way if you need to dig close to house. (Bathroom drain.)
- In the way cutting grass, raking leaves, etc.
- Damage to house during install. (Ref: in-wall vent pipe & wires.)
- Damage to house if it works loose.
- Looks ugly from outside.
- Dangerous manouver in slippery tub for view better than current.

They're pretty common in my neighborhood. When I had my house
re-windowed we considered one for the kitchen window (wife), but it
cost twice as much than the other windows, so she decided against it.
I think they look fine, and if they're good quality and properly
installed the only con is thermal transfer.
They are called "garden" windows because they are excellent for
growing plants - even in the winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 17:12:23 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

What do you think about [...] a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

I had to look at the picture to see what you meant. I've never in my
life ever seen such a construct, not imagined such a thing.

I cannot see any 'pro'. 'Con's:

- More glass to break, clean, lose heat.
- Glass angled to break due to falling objects. (Hail, branches.)
- In the way of ladder when cleaning gutter, painting, etc.
- In the way if you need to dig close to house. (Bathroom drain.)
- In the way cutting grass, raking leaves, etc.
- Damage to house during install. (Ref: in-wall vent pipe & wires.)
- Damage to house if it works loose.
- Looks ugly from outside.
- Dangerous manouver in slippery tub for view better than current.

We have one in the kitchen, my wife has several plants and we also grow
some herbs in it. No gutters or anything to paint in the area, I am 6'5"
and can almost walk under it. No different to install vs a standard
window, and my neighbour actually likes it, seeing our plants in the
window, when she looks out hers.

--
Froz....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

It is a little small at 16" but it may make the room look a bit larger
since it extends out. One advantage though, you can put plants in it
and the plant will produce some oxygen to replace the methane gas you
leave in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

It is a little small at 16" but it may make the room look a bit larger
since it extends out.

Note the subject line and the pictures.

The existing window is 16 but the garden window is larger. Only the opening is 16.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10:31:55 PM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

Your install may have been no different vs. a standard window, but that wouldn't be the case
in Snuffy's situation. He is planning on using a garden window that is bigger than the
existing window. i.e. it will mounted (somehow) to the exterior wall, not mounted in the
window's RO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 8:21:42 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

PS - Then I could put a back on it and seal it well against the window frame, like this...
http://i68.tinypic.com/1076xq9.jpg

It seems like an interesting idea but I would imagine that you might have warranty issues
due to a non-standard installation. Not that that's a show-stopper as long as you accept
that upfront.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

You are right, I missed the over an existing window part, ours was made
to fit the existing RO.

--
Froz....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:58:52 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

Your install may have been no different vs. a standard window, but that wouldn't be the case
in Snuffy's situation. He is planning on using a garden window that is bigger than the
existing window. i.e. it will mounted (somehow) to the exterior wall, not mounted in the
window's RO.

You are right, I missed the over an existing window part, ours was made
to fit the existing RO.

Snuffy could enlarge the RO and mount the garden window securely. I'd
not mount it outside on the wall and expect it to not leak and move.

....just sayin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Your install may have been no different vs. a standard window, but that wouldn't be the case
in Snuffy's situation. He is planning on using a garden window that is bigger than the
existing window. i.e. it will mounted (somehow) to the exterior wall, not mounted in the
window's RO.

You are right, I missed the over an existing window part, ours was made
to fit the existing RO.

Snuffy could enlarge the RO and mount the garden window securely. I'd
not mount it outside on the wall and expect it to not leak and move.

...just sayin'

Yep, it is heavy, when the guy came to measure all the windows in our
house for replacement, he mentioned a garden window at that location, I
had never heard of such a beast before, then I saw my wife's eyes widen
and knew we were getting one. If ya'know what I mean. :-)

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Your install may have been no different vs. a standard window, but that wouldn't be the case
in Snuffy's situation. He is planning on using a garden window that is bigger than the
existing window. i.e. it will mounted (somehow) to the exterior wall, not mounted in the
window's RO.

You are right, I missed the over an existing window part, ours was made
to fit the existing RO.

Snuffy could enlarge the RO and mount the garden window securely. I'd
not mount it outside on the wall and expect it to not leak and move.

...just sayin'

Snuffy stated "has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall."

It sounds like enlarging the RO might not be as easy a task as one might hope.

....just sayin'

BTW...I'm curious about who "the lovely Miseries" is and those "2 scents"
that she put in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Your install may have been no different vs. a standard window, but that wouldn't be the case
in Snuffy's situation. He is planning on using a garden window that is bigger than the
existing window. i.e. it will mounted (somehow) to the exterior wall, not mounted in the
window's RO.

You are right, I missed the over an existing window part, ours was made
to fit the existing RO.

Snuffy could enlarge the RO and mount the garden window securely. I'd
not mount it outside on the wall and expect it to not leak and move.

...just sayin'

Yep, it is heavy, when the guy came to measure all the windows in our
house for replacement, he mentioned a garden window at that location, I
had never heard of such a beast before, then I saw my wife's eyes widen
and knew we were getting one. If ya'know what I mean. :-)

I worked on one job, the garden unit would not fit the RO for what
ever reason or miscalculation on a custom one.

Boss decided to modify the RO - it worked. (think we took out jack
studs on each side - long ago)

Best than sending the window back and temporarily close the hole until
a new window arrived.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

The first question that comes to mind is what is the purpose of this
new garden window going to be? I can see putting one in that's the
same size as the existing window, but I don't see the added benefit
of having one hung on the outside that's larger. You can't easily get
to the area to the left and right, it's going to be harder to clean
the windows. I'd go with either one that fits or one that fits an
enlarged opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2016 5:12 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

That's the kinda crap you find in Section 8 housing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

ummm...a garden, perhaps?

I can see putting one in that's the
same size as the existing window, but I don't see the added benefit
of having one hung on the outside that's larger. You can't easily get
to the area to the left and right, it's going to be harder to clean
the windows. I'd go with either one that fits or one that fits an
enlarged opening.

I'm not seeing the connection between the window's purpose and the
cleanabililty of the area to the left and right.

I'm not saying you're not justified in saying that, just that cleaning
that area is going to be hard regardless of the purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 3:04:52 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is a little small at 16" but it may make the room look a bit larger
since it extends out. One advantage though, you can put plants in it
and the plant will produce some oxygen to replace the methane gas you
leave in there.

Farts actually have little methane in them...(what follows is knowledge you probably have little use for, but....)

A typical fart is made of:
59% nitrogen
21% hydrogen
9% carbon dioxide
7% methane
4% oxygen
1% hydrogen sulfide

A fart is so pungent that people can smell them at levels of 1 part in 100 million.
(No ****!)

A study has proven that, when men and woman have eaten exact the same food, woman have more concentrated gas than men. This was also mentioned as a greater odor intensity.
(I suspected as much)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

Well, maybe. But somebody might want one for more light. One person's
idea of a garden is 3 potted plants, in which case, do you need a bit
window? Another person might think they are going to grow vegetables there.
IDK.

I can see putting one in that's the
same size as the existing window, but I don't see the added benefit
of having one hung on the outside that's larger. You can't easily get
to the area to the left and right, it's going to be harder to clean
the windows. I'd go with either one that fits or one that fits an
enlarged opening.

I'm not seeing the connection between the window's purpose and the
cleanabililty of the area to the left and right.

I'm not saying you're not justified in saying that, just that cleaning
that area is going to be hard regardless of the purpose.

My point was that with a larger window hung on outside, it's going to
be harder to clean the side areas than if the window is a normal type,
with the opening the size of the garden window. And that gets back to
what you're going to do with it, how big does it really need to be for that,
and what would you put into those side areas where you can't see it
from inside?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:34:32 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

The first question that comes to mind is what is the purpose of this
new garden window going to be?

ummm...a garden, perhaps?

Aw shucks. You spoiled the whole thread. :-\

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

Things that you want to see (or want others to see) from the outside?

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

Which could be fine, if that's the purpose of this expansion. But if
it's not, or the window is on a side where no one sees it, which wouldn't
be unusual for a bath window, then those side areas aren't going to
serve that purpose. Just figure out what it's supposed to do, that's
all I'm suggesting. And if the bath doesn't have a fan, factor in
how it's going to open to get needed airflow too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's the otherwise lovely wife who has a whole yard full of nice clean dirt (at no cost) just waiting for her to plant veggies and flowers of all shapes and sizes, butt has her heart set on adding a garden window (not by her of course) with space for 2-3.

Went through the fun and excitement of enlarging the kitchen window to fit a small bay-style garden window. $500+ for the window if I recall plus $200+ to remove/enlarge/install. She loves it so it's well worth the $$. The only negative I see is that it trap a lot of heat - good in the winter, not in the summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

I believe to top of most of these windows opens, I know mine does. Mine
has a crank on it, couple turns and the heat flies right out of it.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:55:22 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

I believe to top of most of these windows opens, I know mine does. Mine
has a crank on it, couple turns and the heat flies right out of it.

Right. Some models can have side windows with slide screens.

Germinate seeds, grow cheaper herbs and let the bride clean the glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

In an earlier post you noted that you "missed the over an existing window
part". I guess when you also missed the part of the images that show how
Snuffy's proposed windows open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

I knew the term, have the window, so did not examine the picture
thoroughly for details.

--
Froz....

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

I ain't worried about that. She'll fill it up with something that's for sure. If not, it would be a great place to stash a few extra rolls of bathroom tissue, copies of Field and Stream, Popular Mechanics, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DerbyDad03, KathrynRobertson wrote:
Interesting post!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ow-896632-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:04:28 +0100, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

"KathrynRobertson" wrote in message oups.com...
replying to DerbyDad03, KathrynRobertson wrote:
Interesting post!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ow-896632-.htm

Always nice to support commercial sites who copy original material without paying royalties.

Who cares?

--
Local police hunting the "knitting needle nutter", who has stabbed six people in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What happens about not being able to see into the bathroom?

--
The Royal Family have been declared bankrupt after receiving Richard III's parking fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2016 2:54 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

What happens about not being able to see into the bathroom?

Neighbor kid gives up and masturbates to a girlie magazine instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 21:51:48 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/30/2016 2:54 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

What happens about not being able to see into the bathroom?

Neighbor kid gives up and masturbates to a girlie magazine instead.

I meant you'd see through the window easily between the plants.

--
Auctioneer, n. The man who proclaims with a hammer that he has picked a pocket with his tongue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 5:42:03 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 21:51:48 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/30/2016 2:54 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

What happens about not being able to see into the bathroom?

Neighbor kid gives up and masturbates to a girlie magazine instead.

I meant you'd see through the window easily between the plants.

Yep, once you put in a garden window you are no longer allowed to use
blinds or shades.

It's the law.