Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really
and truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Thanks, as always,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:50:40 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really
and truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Thanks, as always,
Bob

I'm sure the Borg will have something, but can't say a brand.

This article states to add liquid dish soap to the bleach solution.

Also see 5 & 6 - related to shady areas.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-moss-blacktop-58355.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2016 8:50 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really
and truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Thanks, as always,
Bob

I've got mildew spray that works and it probably has bleach in it.
You should wash off residue as it probably promotes new growth.
Shaded areas will come back and require repetition in the future.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 5:50:42 AM UTC-7, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really
and truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Thanks, as always,
Bob

Years ago I used bottle of iron sulphate (FeSO4) solution that killed off moss (for a while)
May have been called "moss away"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2016 5:50 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really and
truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Copper Sulfate? (Bordeaux Mixture)

IME, mosses are hard to get rid of; any site that they occupy is
ideal for them to REoccupy!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Copper Sulfate? (Bordeaux Mixture)

no!

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 May 2016 15:18:33 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Copper Sulfate? (Bordeaux Mixture)

no!

Then what?

Zinc :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try a gallon jug of cheap white vinegar.

Algae & Moss removal rick UK diy 5 November 25th 15 02:47 PM
Algae & Moss Removal (corrected) rick UK diy 10 November 4th 15 06:57 PM
Killing Driveway Moss / Algae ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 6 August 24th 14 03:29 AM
Advice for moss and algae on asphalt roof shingles [email protected] Home Repair 38 November 28th 09 11:08 PM
Moss algae removal ste UK diy 40 October 8th 07 08:22 AM