Posted to alt.home.repair

Default National do not call list

On 2016-02-11 5:37 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 2/11/2016 4:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Well , the verdict is in . You really are just a prick that likes to
insult people . **** off and die .

There are a few more of them hanging around this group, too. Luckily, I
figured that out long ago what they were and never see their posts.

Awww, so you really lub me, she really does folks. To the best of my
knowledge I have hit very few kill files, I just attack idiots, this one
just turned into a chicken ****. Seanymph is blocked as well all from
stuff that happened in another group.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 2/11/2016 4:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Well , the verdict is in . You really are just a prick that likes
to insult people . **** off and die .

There are a few more of them hanging around this group, too. Luckily,
I figured that out long ago what they were and never see their posts.

I won't be seeing any more of his ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2016 6:08 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 2/11/2016 4:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Well , the verdict is in . You really are just a prick that likes
to insult people . **** off and die .

There are a few more of them hanging around this group, too. Luckily,
I figured that out long ago what they were and never see their posts.

I won't be seeing any more of his ...

I don't really like to block people, but I've got a small list and it's
made things so much easier to find the decent people on this group.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:32:15 -0500, FrozenNorth
wrote:

blocked as well all from
stuff that happened in another group.

I wish I knew what the heck all this fighting is about in other
groups. And Why it all moved here in AHR. One day those knowing will
explain it. I'm not talking about trolls, I can figure them out by
myself. WTF happened? Maggie et al?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2016 6:31 PM, Oren wrote:

I wish I knew what the heck all this fighting is about in other
groups. And Why it all moved here in AHR. One day those knowing will
explain it. I'm not talking about trolls, I can figure them out by
myself. WTF happened? Maggie et al?

I'm not fighting with anyone.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

blocked as well all from
stuff that happened in another group.

I wish I knew what the heck all this fighting is about in other
groups. And Why it all moved here in AHR. One day those knowing will
explain it. I'm not talking about trolls, I can figure them out by
myself. WTF happened? Maggie et al?

No idea, myself, Jenn was and apparently always will be an idiot, she
for that very reason got outed after she invaded a computer group,
****ed off a bunch of regs we went to her her home group and outed her,
and has come here for her trolling. She never knows when to stop and
shut the hell up.

I had been here long before she came by, but recognized her immediately.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

burfordTJustice wrote: "Why do people complain about phone calls and the Do not call list.
Can't you figure out how to screen calls, read caller ID and/or
not answer and let the answering machine take a message. "

Because *maybe* some of just want our
peace and quiet back - both at work and
in our homes, without a phone ringing

EVERY

FIFTEEN

MINUTES!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 6:47:29 PM UTC-6, FrozenNorth wrote:

No idea, myself, Jenn was and apparently always will be an idiot, she
for that very reason got outed after she invaded a computer group,
****ed off a bunch of regs we went to her her home group and outed her,
and has come here for her trolling. She never knows when to stop and
shut the hell up.

I had been here long before she came by, but recognized her immediately.

Not sure what was going-on in the other group...but I find nothing offensive or irritating in her posts. Sorry for you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 2/11/2016 4:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Well , the verdict is in . You really are just a prick that likes
to insult people . **** off and die .

There are a few more of them hanging around this group, too.
Luckily, I figured that out long ago what they were and never see
their posts.

I won't be seeing any more of his ...

I don't really like to block people, but I've got a small list and
it's made things so much easier to find the decent people on this
group.

I usually filter by number of crossposts and whether on or off topic .
Politics is allowed in some groups , but not in for instance a metalworking
group . I've got a pretty large killfile , and it makes reading the
newsgroups much more enjoyable . There are a few more that might should be
there , but they do manage to post something useful occasionally .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote: "- show quoted text -
I don't really like to block people, but I've got a small list and it's
made things so much easier to find the decent people on this group.

--
Maggie "

I guess I'm one of the kill-files: I don't see
any response to what I've posted. I may be
strongly opinionated, but I'm not a jerk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 2/11/2016 4:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Well , the verdict is in . You really are just a prick that likes
to insult people . **** off and die .

There are a few more of them hanging around this group, too.
Luckily, I figured that out long ago what they were and never see
their posts.

I won't be seeing any more of his ...

I don't really like to block people, but I've got a small list and
it's made things so much easier to find the decent people on this
group.

I usually filter by number of crossposts and whether on or off topic .
Politics is allowed in some groups , but not in for instance a metalworking
group . I've got a pretty large killfile , and it makes reading the
newsgroups much more enjoyable . There are a few more that might should be
there , but they do manage to post something useful occasionally .

I do enjoy reading your posts, here. You've always come across as a
nice person to me. I don't respond to all of your posts, though, even
though I read them.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2016 4:53 PM, bob haller wrote:

well i have a small business so not answering a call might cost me
money.

if they hadnt locked out their caller id i wouldnt of answered it.

can you understand this?

No caller ID is a big red flag to NOT answer...
can you understand this?

Seems not so best advice is live with it and stop ****ing whining!

i get some calls from all over the nation. most have no caller id.

phone soliciators should be required by law to have accurate caller id

Right, as soon as the legislators in India get back in session suggest
it. Most of the calls come from offshore locations.

You have two weak weapons. Don't answer, or if you do, just hand up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2016 7:59 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 6:47:29 PM UTC-6, FrozenNorth wrote:

No idea, myself, Jenn was and apparently always will be an idiot, she
for that very reason got outed after she invaded a computer group,
****ed off a bunch of regs we went to her her home group and outed her,
and has come here for her trolling. She never knows when to stop and
shut the hell up.

I had been here long before she came by, but recognized her immediately.

Not sure what was going-on in the other group...but I find nothing offensive or irritating in her posts. Sorry for you!

Not offensive, just on and on in "discussions" no one will ever win. I
just KF the thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote: "You have two weak weapons. Don't answer, or if you do, just hand up. "

And one LOUD weapon: AC/DC on demand. Stick
the phone in the loudspeaker and give the pricks
an earful of Bon Scott!

And demand legislation that domestic phone companies
do a better job of blocking overseas solicitors from
VOIPing in as callers from "Bristol, CT" or "Private
Caller".

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
Does a religious based caller selling a product for profit have to comply with the do not call list?

i got a call tonight trying to sell cemetary plots. their caller id was marked private. they called during my dinner.

this group treated me and my family very poorly when i was a kid. my mom was a single parent. the church posted the donation amount inside the church. we were broke.......

the call ended poorly, the sales lady after hearing what happened to me and my family said i was possed by the devil.

i suggested she works for a corrupt organization.

i would like to report tham for a do not call infraction

I use the free call interception service at www.nomorobo.com. When your phone
rings, it also rings at Nomorobo. Nomorobo searches its database and if the
calling number is on their block list, their computer answers the call and
provides an appropriate message to the incoming call. Otherwise it lets the call
continue to ring your phone.

It does ring once on your telephone but after that, peace. Your telephone
service has to support Simultaneous Ring Service (e.g. Verizon FiOS) which
allows the incoming call to ring at both your home and Nomorobo at the same
time. It only works with Residence lines, not Business lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 9:24:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote: "You have two weak weapons. Don't answer, or if you do, just hand up. "

And one LOUD weapon: AC/DC on demand. Stick
the phone in the loudspeaker and give the pricks
an earful of Bon Scott!

And demand legislation that domestic phone companies
do a better job of blocking overseas solicitors from
VOIPing in as callers from "Bristol, CT" or "Private
Caller".

my point, this was a call from the catholic cemetary association and it was a american caller,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:45:25 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

i would like to report tham for a do not call infraction

This will solve your problem.
http://www.thisisarecording.com/z/920-264-9036.mp3

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default National do not call list (and Catholic donations of record)

On 2/11/2016 10:52 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 10:44:20 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The parable of the widow's mite is told in some
Christian churches (such as Mormons / The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Are you inviting
me to share the parable with this usenet list?

please do.

While I almost never go to church, mostly social thing like weddings and funerals.

my exprience with. After a near death exprience. i decided to help others.

have on multiple occasions taken in homeless people we

know. house fires etc... have helped a friend with a
inner city minestries....

lots of wierd helping people.

I TRULY believe the following, its not where you go on

sunday, its how you live the rest of your life.......
try to help others
.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/ma...44?lang=eng#40
41 ¶And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld
how the people cast money into the treasury: and many
that were rich cast in much.

42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw
in two mites, which make a farthing.

43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith
unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow
hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into
the treasury:

44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but
she of her want did cast in all that she had, even
all her living.
================================

My view of this parable, is that donations can be
judged based on the wealth of the donor. A person
who is poor might be more generous with a few
cents than a wealthy man who donates largely.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2016 10:52 AM, bob haller wrote:
While I almost never go to church, mostly social thing like weddings and funerals.

my exprience with. After a near death exprience. i decided to help others.

have on multiple occasions taken in homeless people we know. house fires etc... have helped a friend with a inner city minestries....

lots of wierd helping people.

I TRULY believe the following, its not where you go on sunday, its how you live the rest of your life....... try to help others

Many people share your belief. And being good to others
is a noble way to live. My belief is that God has given
us commandment and ordinances which are essential. So,
doing good is a start. But, there is much more to
be done. Baptism, confirmation, endowment, sealing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 08:13:43 -0500
Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 2/11/2016 10:52 AM, bob haller wrote:
While I almost never go to church, mostly social thing like
weddings and funerals.

my exprience with. After a near death exprience. i decided to help
others.

have on multiple occasions taken in homeless people we know. house
fires etc... have helped a friend with a inner city minestries....

lots of wierd helping people.

I TRULY believe the following, its not where you go on sunday, its
how you live the rest of your life....... try to help others

Many people share your belief. And being good to others
is a noble way to live. My belief is that God has given
us commandment and ordinances which are essential. So,
doing good is a start. But, there is much more to
be done. Baptism, confirmation, endowment, sealing.

Is that why the fat chicks in the vans come knocking
on the door to get some good done to them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per bob haller:

phone soliciators should be required by law to have accurate caller id

The best idea I have heard so far (besides challenge-response) is a
variation on the European cell phone system: Caller Pays.

The variation would be that the recipient could press, for instance,
"*9" and the charge would then be made against the recipient's phone...
and 99% of people would do that as a courtesy.... but the added cost
would reduce the effectiveness of telephone solicitation.

Personally, I am about *that* far from going to Challenge/Response. The
only thing keeping me from going is that I would have to move my
incoming calls to my VOIP provider and I do not know how that would play
out with 911 services.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :
This will solve your problem.
http://www.thisisarecording.com/z/920-264-9036.mp3

I am assuming that page is offering up various downloadable SIT codes.

If that is the case, I would offer up that I've had the "Not In Service"
SIT code in the beginning of my answering machine's message for several
years - and I am still getting a ratio of about 5 robocalls/solicitors
to every legit call.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 3:35:32 PM UTC-5, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 12:30:31 -0800 (PST)
bob haller wrote:

Why do people complain about phone calls and the Do not call list.
Can't you figure out how to screen calls, read caller ID and/or
not answer and let the answering machine take a message.

Gad Damn it ain't that hard.

well i have a small business so not answering a call might cost me
money.

if they hadnt locked out their caller id i wouldnt of answered it.

can you understand this?

No caller ID is a big red flag to NOT answer...
can you understand this?

Seems not so best advice is live with it and stop ****ing whining!

i get some calls from all over the nation. most have no caller id.

phone soliciators should be required by law to have accurate caller id

Part of the proble is with the phone companies themselves. Some have what
is call 'net billing' I don't bill you for th CID data you don't bill me.

Those that don't have such agreements can and do block the data from the
sourse to avoid paying.

Cell phone companies are high on the list of those that treat the data as a
profit center and block the data as part of their business plan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2016 7:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

================================

My view of this parable, is that donations can be
judged based on the wealth of the donor. A person
who is poor might be more generous with a few
cents than a wealthy man who donates largely.

I agree. It's a fairly well known parable and most everyone I'm
familiar with interprets it exactly the same way.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2016 8:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My view of this parable, is that donations can be
judged based on the wealth of the donor. A person
who is poor might be more generous with a few
cents than a wealthy man who donates largely.

Yes. I see that often. Many times people with little are very willing
to share what they have and help others. Not just money. Split a
lunch, give a ride, sleep on the sofa, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Thanks ! And that's fine , if everybody replied to every post it would make
a real mess . I try to help when I can , without criticizing someone else's
way of doing something . I can't possibly know everything about what someone
else is doing ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

You're welcome!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per burfordTjustice:
Seems not so best advice is live with it and stop ****ing whining!

How many robocalls and telephone solicitor calls do you get per day ?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

Per bob haller:

phone soliciators should be required by law to have accurate caller id

The best idea I have heard so far (besides challenge-response) is a
variation on the European cell phone system: Caller Pays.

The variation would be that the recipient could press, for instance,
"*9" and the charge would then be made against the recipient's phone...
and 99% of people would do that as a courtesy.... but the added cost
would reduce the effectiveness of telephone solicitation.

Personally, I am about *that* far from going to Challenge/Response. The
only thing keeping me from going is that I would have to move my
incoming calls to my VOIP provider and I do not know how that would play
out with 911 services.

Pete, that should not be a problem, as long as the VOIP provider does their
job properly. You can always call 911 after setup and confirm with the
center they are seeing the correct information. Just state what you are
doing and no response is needed. You may get a visit from the PD if the
dispatcher codes it wrong, you would have to explain again. Better to check
than to assume because it's your ass on the line...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2016 11:17 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 2/12/2016 7:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

================================

My view of this parable, is that donations can be
judged based on the wealth of the donor. A person
who is poor might be more generous with a few
cents than a wealthy man who donates largely.

I agree. It's a fairly well known parable and most everyone I'm
familiar with interprets it exactly the same way.

I'll admit, I was mildly surprised the other
poster didn't recognize. But, well, perhaps he
was being polite and giving me the floor.

So, there is at least one thing Christians
agree? That's astounding. Next thing you know,
people will stop bashing Mormons?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2016 11:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/12/2016 8:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My view of this parable, is that donations can be
judged based on the wealth of the donor. A person
who is poor might be more generous with a few
cents than a wealthy man who donates largely.

Yes. I see that often. Many times people with little are very willing
to share what they have and help others. Not just money. Split a
lunch, give a ride, sleep on the sofa, etc.

There is a paradox, some folks with little material
goods are far more generous than the wealthy. Just
as you describe. Perhaps humble people are closer
to God?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2016 10:33 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:

[snip]

Why do people complain about phone calls and the Do not call list.
Can't you figure out how to screen calls, read caller ID and/or
not answer and let the answering machine take a message.

Gad Damn it ain't that hard.

You still have the interruption (ringing).

Then there's the blank messages some are leaving now. Just a little hiss
(or mumbling), but enough your answering machine thinks it's a message.

I've turned off the ringer on my phone, and just look at the answering
machine occasionally. It's usually one or more blank messages.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The inventor of the plow did more good than the maker of the first
rosary; because, say what you will, plowing is better than praying." --
R.G. Ingersoll
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2016 02:35 PM, burfordTjustice wrote:

[snip]

if they hadnt locked out their caller id i wouldnt of answered it.

can you understand this?

No caller ID is a big red flag to NOT answer...
can you understand this?

I agree. IIRC, I haven't received even one "no caller ID" call this
century that wasn't junk.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The inventor of the plow did more good than the maker of the first
rosary; because, say what you will, plowing is better than praying." --
R.G. Ingersoll

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2016 03:53 PM, bob haller wrote:

[snip]

phone solicitors should be required by law to have accurate caller id

And the name should NOT be:

state (unless it's state government)

or

city state (unless it's city government)

or

TOLL FREE CALL

or

meaningless initials like "IBI Inc."

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The inventor of the plow did more good than the maker of the first
rosary; because, say what you will, plowing is better than praying." --
R.G. Ingersoll
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2016 4:42 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 02/11/2016 10:33 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:

[snip]

Why do people complain about phone calls and the Do not call list.
Can't you figure out how to screen calls, read caller ID and/or
not answer and let the answering machine take a message.

Gad Damn it ain't that hard.

You still have the interruption (ringing).

Then there's the blank messages some are leaving now. Just a little hiss
(or mumbling), but enough your answering machine thinks it's a message.

I've turned off the ringer on my phone, and just look at the answering
machine occasionally. It's usually one or more blank messages.

I've turned off the ringers on all the phones, but the phone base for
the digital phone we have still rings, and I can't find any button or
setting to turn that last ringer off.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2016 5:54 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

And the name should NOT be:

TOLL FREE CALL

That is the way the pharmacy comes through to leave a message that a
prescription is ready. PITA for you but not those waiting for
medication. This is a major chain so I don't know why their name does
not appear.

or

meaningless initials like "IBI Inc."

Not meaningless to IBI Group or Integrated Benefits Institute.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Tekkie®:
The
only thing keeping me from going is that I would have to move my
incoming calls to my VOIP provider and I do not know how that would play
out with 911 services.

Pete, that should not be a problem, as long as the VOIP provider does their
job properly. You can always call 911 after setup and confirm with the
center they are seeing the correct information. Just state what you are
doing and no response is needed. You may get a visit from the PD if the
dispatcher codes it wrong, you would have to explain again. Better to check
than to assume because it's your ass on the line...

Yeah... That's what I think too.... but if somebody else in the house
ever had a medical emergency and it turned out that some lookup table
somewhere got munged... and they died while I was talking to the
emergency response center in Broken Pelvis, Montana - just because I had
such a woodie for robocalls....I don't think I could live with it.

The other option that somebody else brought up - and which I may
actually invoke - is paying the xtra bucks to upgrade my POTS service
from the current $14.00 basic to FIOS with CallerID and Simultaneous
Ring... and then giving NoMoRobo a try.... seems like the best option
CYA-wise.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

The other option that somebody else brought up - and which I may
actually invoke - is paying the xtra bucks to upgrade my POTS service
from the current $14.00 basic to FIOS with CallerID and Simultaneous
Ring... and then giving NoMoRobo a try.... seems like the best option
CYA-wise.
--
Pete Cresswell

FIOS depends on backup batteries and lots of high tech technology thats not as reliable as copper.

I had a FIOS line that wasnt reliable, noisey calls you couldnt hear each other, terrible customer support, always blaming our intenior wiring even after the first road tech reproduced the problem, with our house completely disconnected.

fios sales calls, mail etc were on the edge of harrasement, the fios battery failed after just 2 months, and verizon refused to cover it under warranty..

when my contract was over, i cancelled.

oh and the problem?

a bad router card in my local central office....

this was the worst customer service experience of my entire life