Posted to alt.home.repair

Default That's not a Snowbrush, *This* is a Snowbrush

I bought 4 of these this weekend for ~$17 apiece. One for me and one for
each of my ladies.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...9071feb.v1.jpg

The brush/broom portion rotates 90°, the handle extends to 60" with a
lever button - nothing to unscrew - and there are 2 scrapers, a wide
flat one and narrow one with aggressive teeth.

3 out of the 4 us are short so we need the extra length. I have an Ody
and SWMBO has an Element, so the 60" will be great for clearing the
roofs, windshields and hoods of those "tall" vehicles.

Pushing/pulling heavy snow is so much easier than brushing it off with
those straight brushes. This unit may be overkill for a light dusting
but when we eventually get hammered, we'll all be ready.

The unit seems pretty solid, time will tell if it can stand up to
the ice and snow following a mid-winter nor'easter.

Bring it on!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 11:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I've had one for 4 years now, and in Minnesota its gets plenty of use.
Still going strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 12:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I have used similar combination scraper/brushes for years on both sedans
and SUV's. The telescoping models make the job way easier. I can't vouch
for that particular model but it does look sturdy!

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 2:34:42 PM UTC-5, SeaNymph wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear it! Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

... here's mine ... Made in Canada ! :-)

http://www.oempromo.com/product/Scra...per-314320.htm

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 11:40:44 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'm down South, we don't need no stinking snow brushes! ¯\_—‰€¿—‰_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Icy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 06:43 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm down South, we don't need no stinking snow brushes!

I was in Atlanta once when it snowed a couple of inches. They needed a
lot more than brushes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:11:15 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I've been using one like this for 40 years. Fits easily in the back
seat, and when I have passengers it goes in the trunk. Very fast.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genuine-Jo...tural/22129457
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-30 10:16 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2015 06:43 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm down South, we don't need no stinking snow brushes!

I was in Atlanta once when it snowed a couple of inches. They needed a
lot more than brushes.

They wouldn't know how to use them as they go into full scale panic down
there. I live in Canada, we go snow here, but not nearly as much as
other parts of the country. We get good amounts now and then, I think
the major issue is the deep south of the US it seldom gets cold enough
for light fluffy brushable snow, it come down wet.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 10:25:23 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

If anyone comes near my cars with one of those, I'll use one of these:

http://www.kygunco.com/prodimages/25745-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 9:15:04 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2015 06:43 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm down South, we don't need no stinking snow brushes!

I was in Atlanta once when it snowed a couple of inches. They needed a
lot more than brushes.

I survived The Blizzard Of 93 here in Birmingham. It was a fraking disaster since people in The South can't cope with any snow. I actually had to dig my car out of a snowbank. There may not be another snowfall like that again around here for decades but it could be much sooner. The real climate scientists warn of Global Cooling which is on its way because of the diminished solar output based on their study of sunspot cycles. Yea, Climate Change, when it gets cold, those Global Warming freaks will wish for lots of greenhouse gasses. They'll be howling that the old smokestacks should be belching pollution again. Somebody please set a rain forest afire, we're cold! ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Greenhouse Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 08:27 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
We get good amounts now and then, I think the major issue is the deep
south of the US it seldom gets cold enough for light fluffy brushable
snow, it come down wet.

It comes down wet and the power lines are designed for a heavy load of
sunshine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 09:06 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Somebody please set a rain forest afire, we're cold!

It's supposed to get above 32 sometime this week. That would be nice. I
don't mind 10 to 15 but a little global warming wouldn't break my heart
either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i have vans and use a large push broom to clean off my vans. the law prohibits driving around with snow on the roof, which has caused accidents when it blows off and the person behind cant see.

the broom drags the snow off easily, and i dont have to get up close and personal with it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-30 10:16 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2015 06:43 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm down South, we don't need no stinking snow brushes!

I was in Atlanta once when it snowed a couple of inches. They needed a
lot more than brushes.

They wouldn't know how to use them as they go into full scale panic down
there. I live in Canada, we go snow here, but not nearly as much as
other parts of the country. We get good amounts now and then, I think
the major issue is the deep south of the US it seldom gets cold enough
for light fluffy brushable snow, it come down wet.

Yep, that's the problem. Usually in the south, everything closes down,
which is the right move imo. Then you have the rash of people injuring
themselves because they don't know how to shovel snow. That's followed
by a lot of people running out to buy snow blowers, which they'll
probably never use again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 11:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2015 09:06 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Somebody please set a rain forest afire, we're cold!

It's supposed to get above 32 sometime this week. That would be nice. I
don't mind 10 to 15 but a little global warming wouldn't break my heart
either.

We have temps next week which, according to the local weather folks,
should be in the low 40's. I think that's way too warm for December. I
like winter, but we're not getting much of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 10:25 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

I've been using this for a couple of years now. Similar idea.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s...8849/9120012-P
Like it so much I bought a couple to give to friends. Work great, push
or pull.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per SeaNymph:
We have temps next week which, according to the local weather folks,
should be in the low 40's. I think that's way too warm for December. I
like winter, but we're not getting much of it.

Am I the only one who thinks that low-forties-high-humidity feels much
colder than mid-twenties ?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ed Pawlowski:
I've been using this for a couple of years now. Similar idea.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s...8849/9120012-P
Like it so much I bought a couple to give to friends. Work great, push
or pull.

That's been my choice for at least 10 years.

Got mine from relatives in Germany. "Sno Brum"
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per (PeteCresswell):
Got mine from relatives in Germany. "Sno Brum"

I think I must be lying about the Germany part.

Label on it says made in Worcester, Mass....
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2015 10:14 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per SeaNymph:
We have temps next week which, according to the local weather folks,
should be in the low 40's. I think that's way too warm for December. I
like winter, but we're not getting much of it.

Am I the only one who thinks that low-forties-high-humidity feels much
colder than mid-twenties ?

Not at all. I lived in Indiana for years, and they have the worst
weather of any place I've lived in. Winter is cold, grey and damp.
Here, it's much colder, but the sun shines most days and its fine. I
like the winter a lot, which is saying something for a person who grew
up on the gulf coast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2015 11:14 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per SeaNymph:
We have temps next week which, according to the local weather folks,
should be in the low 40's. I think that's way too warm for December. I
like winter, but we're not getting much of it.

Am I the only one who thinks that low-forties-high-humidity feels much
colder than mid-twenties ?

First couple weeks of this forties cold really
is miserable for me. Even indoors is cold.

I love those T shaped snow brushes. Much easier
to remove snow.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 11:47:28 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2015 09:06 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Somebody please set a rain forest afire, we're cold!

It's supposed to get above 32 sometime this week. That would be nice. I
don't mind 10 to 15 but a little global warming wouldn't break my heart
either.

It's rainy, 67F, 90% humidity at noon here in Birmingham and the temperature is supposed to plummet to 52F with rain tonight. OMG! It is so cold here! ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Frozen Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 11:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2015 09:06 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Somebody please set a rain forest afire, we're cold!

It's supposed to get above 32 sometime this week. That would be nice. I
don't mind 10 to 15 but a little global warming wouldn't break my heart
either.

We've been skirting freezing the last week, but luckily we didn't get
any freezing rain this past weekend!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 7:26:59 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
i have vans and use a large push broom to clean off my vans. the law prohibits driving around with snow on the roof, which has caused accidents when it blows off and the person behind cant see.

In my opinion, the blowing snow from the car in front is not the real
problem. We drive in blowing snow quite often. We can change lanes, we
can slow down, etc.

The real problem occurs when the driver with the snow on the roof hits
the brakes and the snow slides down onto the windshield. In most cases,
when there is enough heavy snow that it didn't blow off, the wipers are
useless against the weight. Now the driver is blind and there is not a
thing he can do about it.

I clean my roof not because of the law or because of the driver behind me,
but because I really like seeing where I am going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per SeaNymph:

Not at all. I lived in Indiana for years, and they have the worst
weather of any place I've lived in. Winter is cold, grey and damp.
Here, it's much colder, but the sun shines most days and its fine. I
like the winter a lot, which is saying something for a person who grew
up on the gulf coast.

A bunch of years ago we put up a couple of kids traveling with a church
choir from Minnesota.

One said they had been snowed in for two weeks before the trip and the
other said that temperatures at home seldom got above the mid-twenties
that time of year.

At the time it was in the low forties in the moist Philadelphia maritime
climate.... and both said they had never been so cold in all their
lives.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2015 2:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per SeaNymph:

Not at all. I lived in Indiana for years, and they have the worst
weather of any place I've lived in. Winter is cold, grey and damp.
Here, it's much colder, but the sun shines most days and its fine. I
like the winter a lot, which is saying something for a person who grew
up on the gulf coast.

A bunch of years ago we put up a couple of kids traveling with a church
choir from Minnesota.

One said they had been snowed in for two weeks before the trip and the
other said that temperatures at home seldom got above the mid-twenties
that time of year.

At the time it was in the low forties in the moist Philadelphia maritime
climate.... and both said they had never been so cold in all their
lives.

I find it hard to believe that anyone in Minnesota is ever snowed in.
Heck, they plow the sidewalks here

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2015 01:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
A bunch of years ago we put up a couple of kids traveling with a church
choir from Minnesota.

One said they had been snowed in for two weeks before the trip and the
other said that temperatures at home seldom got above the mid-twenties
that time of year.

That was a damn heat wave. We set up a dinnerware plant at Morris MN in
the winter and it had a problem getting much warmer than 20 below. It
hadn't snowed and when they finally got a few inches all the snow
machines were out regardless. You'd go to a restaurant and you couldn't
hang your coat up because the racks were jammed with snowmobile suits.

Fortunately, my job was done before warm weather and the mosquitoes
showed up.

On the way out from St. Paul, we'd pass Lake Minnewaska. It looked like
a town out on the ice with all the shanties. There isn't enough akvavit
in the world to coax me out to a fish shanty at 20 below.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2015 11:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
It's rainy, 67F, 90% humidity at noon here in Birmingham and the temperature is supposed to plummet to 52F with rain tonight. OMG! It is so cold here!

I'll take 15 and so dry the snow squeaks over 90% humidity. One of my
ancestors might have been a fish but I don't have gills.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per SeaNymph:
I find it hard to believe that anyone in Minnesota is ever snowed in.
Heck, they plow the sidewalks here

I think his parents were farmers.

Here in Paoli PA, they plow the sidewalks closed near to where I live.

When clearing an intersection, they'll push the snow so it mounds up
4-5' where the sidewalk feeds into the intersection.

Similarly, when they plow under a railroad bridge, they push the
snow/ice up on to the pedestrian sidewalk under the bridge.

Ditto one of the local 7-11's: they clear the gas station area by
pushing the snow onto the sidewalk.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per rbowman:
That was a damn heat wave. We set up a dinnerware plant at Morris MN in
the winter and it had a problem getting much warmer than 20 below. It
hadn't snowed and when they finally got a few inches all the snow
machines were out regardless. You'd go to a restaurant and you couldn't
hang your coat up because the racks were jammed with snowmobile suits.

Fortunately, my job was done before warm weather and the mosquitoes
showed up.

On the way out from St. Paul, we'd pass Lake Minnewaska. It looked like
a town out on the ice with all the shanties. There isn't enough akvavit
in the world to coax me out to a fish shanty at 20 below.

That seems to agree with one of comments in the Extra" section of the
film Fargo": "Siberia with family restaurants."
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/02/2015 06:52 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
That seems to agree with one of comments in the Extra" section of the
film Fargo": "Siberia with family restaurants."
-

Well, the Minnewaska House was an excellent restaurant Nice buffet
with pickled chicken gizzards. The diner in Morris often had braised
chicken gizzards on the menu too. The fish was problematic since the
pike had more mercury than a thermometer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 12:10:01 AM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2015 11:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
It's rainy, 67F, 90% humidity at noon here in Birmingham and the temperature is supposed to plummet to 52F with rain tonight. OMG! It is so cold here!

I'll take 15 and so dry the snow squeaks over 90% humidity. One of my
ancestors might have been a fish but I don't have gills.

The high humidity makes me feel warm even at 50F. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster