Posted to alt.home.repair

Default blower mulcher for leaves query

anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?
--
dilbert firestorm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 8:43:40 AM UTC-8, firestorm31 wrote:
anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?

Save your money and put a mulching blade and outlet plug on the mower. A few passes and your lawn will look neat, The shredded remains will have disappeared by the next day.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

firestorm31 wrote, on Sun, 21 Dec 2014 10:43:22 -0600:

anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?

I have a vacuum mulcher which I never use because it stinks.

If you find a good one, let us know, because twice I've bought
a blower/vacuum-mulcher, and twice I never used the vacuum
part of it for various reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:13:05 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
firestorm31 wrote, on Sun, 21 Dec 2014 10:43:22 -0600:

anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?

I have a vacuum mulcher which I never use because it stinks.

If you find a good one, let us know, because twice I've bought
a blower/vacuum-mulcher, and twice I never used the vacuum
part of it for various reasons.

I had a Sears one about 10+ years ago that was a combo blower/mulcher.
It worked pretty well, I liked it. You could use it a regular blower
or attach a big tube to the bottom and a shoulder bag to mulch.
The only problem with the mulching is
that with a shoulder bag, you really can't hold a lot. It was still
useful for getting leaves out of basement window wells, shrub beds, etc.
But it's not useful for doing any large, open areas, where blowing or
blowing/raking works. And IDK if Sears has any similar today, how they
compare to what I had, etc.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm31 View Post
anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?
dilbert firestorm
I would recommend that you don't buy one of those blower/mulcher machines unless you simply need a leaf blower.

In my case I had a Black & Decker blower/mulcher and the thing would suck up small branches from trees that would break the plastic housing of the blower. Luckily, the housing broke while the tool was still under warranty, and I got a new one, but I only use it as a blower now because I know it will break if I use it to mulch leaves.

I believe that if you find a blower/mulcher with a rubber impeller in a steel housing, you'd have a much better machine than Black & Decker sell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:05:47 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 8:43:40 AM UTC-8, firestorm31 wrote:
anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?

Save your money and put a mulching blade and outlet plug on the mower. A few passes and your lawn will look neat, The shredded remains will have disappeared by the next day.

Harry K

I used to cut leaves up with a lawn tractor, no mulching blades, in
the late fall. Used them for mulch on my garden or left some on the
ground. After a long winter snow you never knew they were there.
Nutrients for the lawn and garden.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:22:08 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

I have a vacuum mulcher which I never use because it stinks.

Dust? Use a paper mask if it bothers you.

If you find a good one, let us know, because twice I've bought
a blower/vacuum-mulcher, and twice I never used the vacuum
part of it for various reasons.

Toro 3-N-1 is a good one....I have one.

I had a Sears one about 10+ years ago that was a combo blower/mulcher.
It worked pretty well, I liked it. You could use it a regular blower
or attach a big tube to the bottom and a shoulder bag to mulch.
The only problem with the mulching is
that with a shoulder bag, you really can't hold a lot. It was still
useful for getting leaves out of basement window wells, shrub beds, etc.
But it's not useful for doing any large, open areas, where blowing or
blowing/raking works. And IDK if Sears has any similar today, how they
compare to what I had, etc.

TORO makes a new model, the impeller is metal. Older models had a
nylon impeller that would crack and break if you vacuum up a rock.

https://tinyurl.com/mdd4qz6

I bought mine at HD for less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have an older Toro 3 in 1 and I did just that with the propeller. It
broke a wing off the propeller, started vibrating, humming and before I
figured out what was wrong, the motor was beginning to smoke. The good
part is, I was able to buy a new propeller for about $5. It's working
like a charm again. Though, I wonder if I can install a metal one on
this unit.

I use my blower/vac to suck up the leaves in the landscape area (bushes
and plants) and use it to blow the driveway. It's a great little unit
which works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:26:35 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/mdd4qz6

I bought mine at HD for less.

I have an older Toro 3 in 1 and I did just that with the propeller. It
broke a wing off the propeller, started vibrating, humming and before I
figured out what was wrong, the motor was beginning to smoke. The good
part is, I was able to buy a new propeller for about $5. It's working
like a charm again. Though, I wonder if I can install a metal one on
this unit.

I can't say if you can exchange the impeller from nylon to the
magnesium metal one. Worth a look and research. It may work?

I use my blower/vac to suck up the leaves in the landscape area (bushes
and plants) and use it to blow the driveway. It's a great little unit
which works well.

I'm teaching my bride of many years how to use one. Dead leaves on the
ground don't bother me as much as it does her.

I can't do everything :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 8:43:40 AM UTC-8, firestorm31 wrote:
anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?

Save your money and put a mulching blade and outlet plug on the mower. A few passes and your lawn will look neat, The shredded remains will have disappeared by the next day.

Harry K

I used to cut leaves up with a lawn tractor, no mulching blades, in
the late fall.

Yes, when they're dried out, they just disappear when you mow the lawn.

Someone left almost a whole cigar on my fence post. I threw it on the
grass and mowed over it once. No trace of it.

Used them for mulch on my garden or left some on the
ground. After a long winter snow you never knew they were there.
Nutrients for the lawn and garden.

That's what garden shops recommend.

Blowers make a lot of noise and just blow things around If a sidewalk
or or driveway has leaves on it, a broom takes no more time, or leave it
the way nature made it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

firestorm31 wrote:
anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?

I can say, I'm not impressed with my Stihl unit. It somewhat mulches, but
only partially. For bagging, it works for small piles. It works fine
blowing.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2014 11:22 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

did you look to see if the maker of the device has an attachment
accessory to pipe it to a can?

from what research I've done, there are some models that will let you
pipe mulched remains to a garbage can instead of a bag.

--
dilbert firestorm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2014 2:39 PM, nestork wrote:
firestorm31;3324150 Wrote:

anyone recommend a blower mulcher for removing leaves?
dilbert firestorm

I would recommend that you don't buy one of those blower/mulcher
machines unless you simply need a leaf blower.

In my case I had a Black & Decker blower/mulcher and the thing would
suck up small branches from trees that would break the plastic housing
of the blower. Luckily, the housing broke while the tool was still
under warranty, and I got a new one, but I only use it as a blower now
because I know it will break if I use it to mulch leaves.

I believe that if you find a blower/mulcher with a rubber impeller in a
steel housing, you'd have a much better machine than Black & Decker
sell.

thanx for letting me know about black & decker. they're off the list.

--
dilbert firestorm