Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange refrigerator noises

Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I
assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put
an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the
rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker
function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

Suggestions?

Maytag PTB2153DRW

Thanks,

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 16:33:52 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I
assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put
an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the
rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker
function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

Suggestions?

Maytag PTB2153DRW

Thanks,

R1

Johnny Reb,

I'd would not worry much unless this is a malfunction in the unit..
Your manual may speak to odd noises an owner may hear. Every unit
makes some type of noise. If it works, meets your expectations - I'd
ignore the sounds. There are many parts and sounds that present
themselves. Sounds are low or high in the unit. Your's seems like it
is as the top of the unit.

Describe the sound you hear g.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

As I said, it's like ice cubes falling into a collection container.
Lasts several seconds. I think it only happens when the compressor is
running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2014 4:33 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I
assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put
an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the
rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker
function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

Suggestions?

Maytag PTB2153DRW

Thanks,

R1

I found the owner's manual. Here's what it says:

"Certain sounds may accompany the various cycles of
the ice maker. The motor may have a slight hum, the
cubes will rattle as they fall into an empty storage pan
and the water valve may click or €śbuzz€ť occasionally."

Problem is, I hear the rattling even if not cubes are falling into the pan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found the owner's manual. Here's what it says:

"Certain sounds may accompany the various cycles of
the ice maker. The motor may have a slight hum, the
cubes will rattle as they fall into an empty storage pan
and the water valve may click or €śbuzz€ť occasionally."

My concern is, I hear the rattling even if no cubes are falling into the
pan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 16:55:48 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Describe the sound you hear g.

As I said, it's like ice cubes falling into a collection container.
Lasts several seconds. I think it only happens when the compressor is
running.

I may be wrong; that it is the auger is binding in the ice maker.

Next time you hear the sound open the door and listen closely. Try to
isolate where the noise comes from.

So. Does the sound prevent the unit from serving your purpose and
being functional?

What broke, other than you hearing sounds?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 17:24:00 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

I found the owner's manual. Here's what it says:

"Certain sounds may accompany the various cycles of
the ice maker. The motor may have a slight hum, the
cubes will rattle as they fall into an empty storage pan
and the water valve may click or “buzz” occasionally."

My concern is, I hear the rattling even if no cubes are falling into the
pan.

I'd empty the ice, check that the auger is correctly seated. Frozen
together cubes can make the ice maker auger to chatter. YMMV

Let us know the solutions you find G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 17:18:58 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

[...]

The ice maker makes noises at various points of its cycle - not just
when the cubes fall. There is noise when the tray fills with water,
when the mechanism is changing positions (for example, from make ice
to get ready to dump ice) and when it actually dumps the ice. Your
noise could be one of those or something else entirely. All you say
is "noises" so that makes it hard to disgnose remotely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 18:09:19 -0400, Pat wrote:

The ice maker makes noises at various points of its cycle - not just
when the cubes fall. There is noise when the tray fills with water,
when the mechanism is changing positions (for example, from make ice
to get ready to dump ice) and when it actually dumps the ice. Your
noise could be one of those or something else entirely. All you say
is "noises" so that makes it hard to disgnose remotely.

_+1, Exactly/.Something is accountable...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I
assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put
an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the
rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker
function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

Suggestions?

Maytag PTB2153DRW

Thanks,

R1

I get an noise when an ice cube is stuck in the tray, forcing the unit
to continue to recycle until I force the stuck cube out. Check this
out.

Senior Member

Rebel1:

I would imagine that an ice maker has a way of breaking the ice free of whatever it's frozen too before it dumps the ice into the ice tray.

Could the noise you hear simply be the ice breaking free of whatever it's frozen to before being dumped?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/14, 4:33 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I
assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put
an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the
rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker
function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

Suggestions?

Maytag PTB2153DRW

Thanks,

R1

I hear it, too, and I don't have an ice maker. Now that you've got me
wondering, I'll log the times I hear it. I think it might be the
evaporator cooling after a defrost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2014 5:18 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
I found the owner's manual. Here's what it says:

"Certain sounds may accompany the various cycles of
the ice maker. The motor may have a slight hum, the
cubes will rattle as they fall into an empty storage pan
and the water valve may click or €śbuzz€ť occasionally."

Problem is, I hear the rattling even if not cubes are falling into the pan.

From here, it "sounds like" (sorry) a bit of a
non issue. If the noise is irritating, it's not
dificult to remove the ice maker in most freezers.
Couple screws, and a wire.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I found the owner's manual. Here's what it says:

"Certain sounds may accompany the various cycles of
the ice maker. The motor may have a slight hum, the
cubes will rattle as they fall into an empty storage pan
and the water valve may click or “buzz” occasionally."

My concern is, I hear the rattling even if no cubes are falling into the
pan.

I'd empty the ice, check that the auger is correctly seated. Frozen
together cubes can make the ice maker auger to chatter. YMMV

Let us know the solutions you find G

I have a Whirlpool side by side and the ice will drop, but sometimes,
not into the bucket! I never took it apart to look, but I have heard the
fill water running and then, a second or so after the fill, the ice
drops into the bucket. So there are either 2 trays or a "holding area".
Weird!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 3, 2014 6:31:00 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 18:09:19 -0400, Pat wrote:

The ice maker makes noises at various points of its cycle - not just

when the cubes fall. There is noise when the tray fills with water,

when the mechanism is changing positions (for example, from make ice

to get ready to dump ice) and when it actually dumps the ice. Your

noise could be one of those or something else entirely. All you say

is "noises" so that makes it hard to disgnose remotely.

_+1, Exactly/.Something is accountable...

Is it possible something in there cycles every once in a while just to
keep the movement free, it doesn't get covered in ice, etc? Like you
said, opening the door when the sound occurs to try to isolate it would
be a logical step.

I have a through the door dispenser and I think something in it cycles
every once in a while even if it's undisturbed and not making ice. I'll
have to pay more attention to it. In any case, I agree it's probably not
a malfunction, more of a curiousity. I guess a related question would be
if it's always done this or it's new?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it the same time every day, that implies something on a clock. Could it be melting ice during the defrost cycle?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 09:30:00 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

I have a Whirlpool side by side and the ice will drop, but sometimes,
not into the bucket! I never took it apart to look, but I have heard the
fill water running and then, a second or so after the fill, the ice
drops into the bucket. So there are either 2 trays or a "holding area".
Weird!

There are occasions the arm lever will not lift to turn off the ice
maker. I've found cubes in parts of the freezer - shelves or on the
bottom. I attribute it to the "bucket" filling and a few ice cubes
fall before the metal arm turns off the unit. Or the arm lever knocks
a few cubes off the stack before it turns off the ice maker. IMHO
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Whirlpool side by side and the ice will drop, but sometimes,
not into the bucket! I never took it apart to look, but I have heard the
fill water running and then, a second or so after the fill, the ice
drops into the bucket. So there are either 2 trays or a "holding area".
Weird!

There are occasions the arm lever will not lift to turn off the ice
maker. I've found cubes in parts of the freezer - shelves or on the
bottom. I attribute it to the "bucket" filling and a few ice cubes
fall before the metal arm turns off the unit. Or the arm lever knocks
a few cubes off the stack before it turns off the ice maker. IMHO

Well, said WP actually uses a photo sensor across the bucket. I'll have
to look in to see where the holding cell is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2014 4:33 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I
assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put
an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the
rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker
function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

Suggestions?

Maytag PTB2153DRW

Thanks,

R1

The sound is definitely not coming from the ice maker, which is on the
left side of the freezer. More from the right wall, but knocking on it
with my knuckles doesn't trigger the sound. The rattling only occurs
when the motor is running.

Even stranger than the rattling is there is no shut off valve on the
copper water line to the ice maker. The line emerges from the baseboard.
On the opposite side is a bedroom. Bizarre! If the line leaked, I'd have
to shut the water to the entire house off as far as I can tell. I've
been here only a month, so I don't know all the in's and out's of the house.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/14, 10:19 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

I get noises a little like ice cubes dropping, and I don't have an ice
maker. When I mentioned it before, it was two or three days before I
heard it again. Then it seemed to happen every time the compressor started.

It might last ten seconds, maybe a dozen knocks, irregularly spaced like
corn popping.

I checked my defrost cycle. It's 10 minutes at 363 watts following by 20
minutes of rest.

I haven't checked to see if it's always 10 minutes of heat. If it is,
that's probably the minimum to keep things working. Depending on the
dew point in the house and how much the door is open while the blower is
running, that might not be quite enough for everything to drip down and
drain. Maybe there's a little ice left on the evaporator, and the
dripping water forms icicles, and they pick up frost. When the blower
comes on, some little icicles break off and are blown into something.

That's my theory. I suppose I could prove it by unscrewing the panel at
the back of the compartment and looking for bits of ice the next time I
hear it. I'm too lazy for that, so I'll assume it's harmless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2014 1:27 AM, J Burns wrote:
[...]

Interesting theory. I'll try finding a similar pattern. Yes, the noise
does appear harmless, but I'm a perfectionist, and in all my years (more
than 70), I've never hear such a noise. The house I just sold had a
15-year-old refrig that never made any noise other than the compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 3, 2014 4:33:52 PM UTC-4, Rebel1 wrote:
Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I

assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put

an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the

rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker

function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

I'm going to go waaaay out on a limb here and say it has nothing to do with the ice maker and everything to do with the refrigerant.

My bottom-freezer unit makes this noise from time to time that I describe as metallic bubbling or popping or chattering. I had a Kenmore (mea culpa, mea culpa) repairman say he could find no problem. Said it had to do with the coolant line.

Flash-forward two years, and the new refrigerator/freezer we bought for the church kitchen had the same issue. Had a repair person from the local company we bought it from come out, and as soon as he heard it said it was a problem with the new R-410A refrigerant they now use in all new refrigerators.. It's not a problem, it won't break anything, but damned if "progress" isn't noisy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2014 9:38 PM, Kyle wrote:

My bottom-freezer unit makes this noise from time to

time that I describe as metallic bubbling or popping
or chattering. I had a Kenmore (mea culpa, mea culpa)
repairman say he could find no problem. Said it had
to do with the coolant line.

Flash-forward two years, and the new refrigerator/

freezer we bought for the church kitchen had the same
issue. Had a repair person from the local company we
bought it from come out, and as soon as he heard it
said it was a problem with the new R-410A refrigerant
they now use in all new refrigerators. It's not a
problem, it won't break anything, but damned if
"progress" isn't noisy.

I've know of compressors to gurgle when charged. And
who knows? Might be part of the refrigeration system.

As to refrigerators, I've seen R134a. R-410a is used
in newer central AC systems. Some freezers take R404a.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 22:19:56 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

The rattling only occurs
when the motor is running.

I'd then check the bolts and rubber mounts on the compressor mount.
I've seen them loosen, causing more vibration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The rattling only occurs
when the motor is running.

I'd then check the bolts and rubber mounts on the compressor mount.
I've seen them loosen, causing more vibration.

Some times that's the case. Other times, the
rattle is within the sealed compressor. OP can
do some further checking.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange refrigerator noises - Problem isolated

On 10/3/2014 4:33 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I
assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put
an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the
rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker
function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

Suggestions?

Maytag PTB2153DRW

Thanks,

R1

Here's a picture of the bottom rear of the refrigerator:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/15671214191/

The problem is in the shock-mounted unit on the right. Its fan has axial
play, about 1/16", that causes the "rattling." With power off, if I rap
my knuckles against the unit, I will hear the rattling every time.

Maybe if I intentionally "unleveled" the refrigerator so the left or
right side is slightly higher, the noise will go away. Even without
taking any further measures, just knowing the source of the rattling is
comforting.

Thank, everyone, for your comments.

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2014 9:07 AM, Rebel1 wrote:

Here's a picture of the bottom rear of the refrigerator:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/15671214191/

The problem is in the shock-mounted unit on the right. Its fan has axial
play, about 1/16", that causes the "rattling." With power off, if I rap
my knuckles against the unit, I will hear the rattling every time.

Maybe if I intentionally "unleveled" the refrigerator so the left or
right side is slightly higher, the noise will go away. Even without
taking any further measures, just knowing the source of the rattling is
comforting.

Thank, everyone, for your comments.

R1

Lucky you, that's plenty of room to work. If you want
to replace that fan, a good appliance parts house can
get you a drop in replacement. A two watt CCW fan motor
called a "unit motor" should run twenty or thirty bucks.

I've replaced those with pretty much no room to work,
and no fun at all.

Please replace the cardboard on back of the fridge, the
cardboard is essential to it running properly.

OK to use some compressed air and blow gun to clean
the dust out of the black condenser, just right of the
fan (as we're viewing the unit).

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you tried bending some part of the metal involved, just a little bit, but enuf to see if that stops the annoying noise. You don't want to bend the tubing, but there are other things you could bend. You could also use a piece of sponge rubber wedged in various locations to see the effect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2014 9:41 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

I like the idea of replacing just the fan motor. I would never that
considered doing that. Here's a video of how to do it:

http://www.partselect.com/Models/PTB...ntent_PagerTop

Here's another video:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/wh....html#autoplay

At time 4:00 he warns to make sure the screws are tight or else there
could be a rattle. Maybe that's my problem. I'll check tomorrow.

What's puzzling is why the rattling comes and goes during the on cycle
for no apparent reason.

Thanks,

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2014 6:41 PM, Rebel1 wrote:

What's puzzling is why the rattling comes and goes during the on cycle
for no apparent reason.

Thanks,

R1

Was someone murdered in your refrigerator? Might
need to call a priest.

Happy haloween. Sleep well.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange refrigerator noises - Problem isolated - update

[...]

I went to a local parts place for a replacement fan motor. It had the
same amount of axial play as my present one, so I didn't buy it.

As the clerk and I were talking, he suggested the source of the rattling
was the compressor. That does make sense, because the sound does come
from that side of the refrigerator (lower right, looking in from the
front). I can rap the compressor, but it won't trigger the rattling. I
guess it's an amazing coincidence that rapping the condenser coils
triggers the rattling sound, but rapping the compressor doesn't.

There is a loose cover over the electrical connections to the compressor
(not shown in the photo). It doesn't make the same rattling noise, but I
tightened it by wedging several thickness of paper around it. The
intermittent rattling still exists.

Something I hadn't mentioned is that there is a large vertical coil of
copper tubing leading to the ice maker, which "unwinds" as I pull the
'frig forward. With the 'frig in its normal location close to the wall,
I thought the coils might be vibrating against each other, but they aren't.

I'm going to take the advice offered several days ago and just live with
it as long as the 'frig is working.

Thanks, again, to all for your thoughtful suggestions.

R1