Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener help

In April or May we had a new garage door opener installed. Our garage is
tiny. Can't park a car in it so how it is called a garage, I do not know.
New unit is a Chamberlin and from what I can see on line, the cheapest one.
Came with one Clicker. Purchased two additional Clickers and a keypad.

So for about three weeks, we had assorted problems, mainly because the
installer was, IMO a buffoon. But finally another guy came out to put
things right and everything seemed fine until two days ago.

Daughter rang the doorbell. I then asked her why she didn't come in through
the garage and her answer was that the keypad didn't work. And it didn't.
Keys lit up but nothing happened when we put in the code.

I did change the battery but wasn't sure of its age. Still didn't work.
Bought new battery and put it in. Still didn't work. Now this isn't the
code but I will use it for the sake of this problem. Let's say that our
code was 12345.

Installer snapped the battery in more firmly. Still didn't work. Asked me
if I had a phone. Obviously I did as he had called me on it. He had a
phone in his hand. But I went into the house to get the phone. Why? Still
don't know. He never asked to use it. But...

When I got back with the phone, he told me that he had reprogrammed the
unit. Not sure how since he had no ladder or step stool and I had only been
gone for less than a minute. Maybe 20 seconds. Then he said that we needed
to put in 123455. Say what? How could 12345 have worked all this time?
And we did not have to press the # either. Just the numbers, although my
instructions say to press the # button.

Oh and... While I was waiting for him to come, I tried to put in the code.
And repeatedly, as I put in 1 and 2, the door began to come down. Came down
one section, stopped and then went back up. It did this several times. And
then it did nothing when I tried to put in the code.

When I told my daughter of this she insisted that it can not be right. She
is the one who usually uses the keypad and she knows what number she has put
in. She has used 12345 for at least 4 months and it worked!

So then I went out to try it. Tried 123455 three times and nothing. Then
waited about 10 minutes and tried it again. It worked! And it worked
repeatedly.

I feel like I am in crazy land. How could this have been? I am waiting for
the installer to call me back and I will go out and keep trying it to see
what happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie,

Manufacturer? Model number?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Is the keypad on wireless? Usually they are programmed from KP and there
is procedure in the owner's manual. Isn't it on warranty? Call
Chamberlain customer support is one way to solve the problem. I am Genie
screw drive fan all my adult life. I install and take care of it
myself. Not only that I can replace springs, cable, what not on GDO.
And higher priced unit already includes extra clicker and KP, etc.
At the end there may not be enough difference in price. If they did not
give you owner's manual, I am sure it is available on-line and Youtube
is a firend in this case for visual tutorial. Ah, also make sure the
antenna wire is in place well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Martel" wrote in message
Julie,

Manufacturer? Model number?

Dave M.

It's a Chamberlain and from what I can tell, the cheapest. I have no way to
get up there and see what model number it is. I wouldn't think that would
matter. The wireless key pad is what is the problem. I think...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

It is wireless and they left me no owner's manual. I don't know if there is
a warranty on it. At the time it was installed I had just gotten out of the
hospital after nearly dying and I was in no condition to be dealing with any
of this.

We had a Genie prior and I assumed that would be what was put in. The guy
did check the antennae wire.

But my question would be... Why would the wrong pass code have worked for
all this time? This is what makes no sense. And why when I put in two
digits of it would it have started to close.

I did have to contact Chamberlain for something else. It was a royal PITA
to get to the right person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"David Martel" wrote in message
Julie,

Manufacturer? Model number?

Dave M.

It's a Chamberlain and from what I can tell, the cheapest. I have no way to
get up there and see what model number it is. I wouldn't think that would
matter. The wireless key pad is what is the problem. I think...

then why are you asking for help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

general experience has demonstrated she never gets the owners manual and
just won't call up any company to get service from them

I am Genie
screw drive fan all my adult life. I install and take care of it
myself. Not only that I can replace springs, cable, what not on GDO.
And higher priced unit already includes extra clicker and KP, etc.
At the end there may not be enough difference in price. If they did not
give you owner's manual, I am sure it is available on-line and Youtube
is a firend in this case for visual tutorial. Ah, also make sure the
antenna wire is in place well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

[...]

this is why your water heater doesn't work
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

You can enter whatever code you want according to the procedure. If it
does not work KP or receiver module in the opener is bad I would
imagine. In case of my Genie GDO, I program the KP and at the end right
away I push a button on the GDO(Need a step ladder to reach) then light
blinks acknowledging the program is complete. Chamberlain may be little
different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I tried youtube. Search "How to program Chamberlain GDO Keypad" Many
came up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

If it involves getting up to the unit, forget it. I'm disabled and I can't
get up there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 19, 2014 12:06:48 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,

Tony Hwang wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell
us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help,
doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put in
a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 04:38:49 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell
us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help,
doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put in
a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.

....an won't ask a neighbor or her daughter to step up a ladder and
take a photo of the model label.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 03:40:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

If it involves getting up to the unit, forget it. I'm disabled and I can't
get up there.

Did you have a recent storm with lightning? Do you have a neighbor?
Can your daughter climb a ladder?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell
us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help,
doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put in
a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.

...an won't ask a neighbor or her daughter to step up a ladder and
take a photo of the model label.

oh, that's an easy one: the neighbor will be too old and not have a
camera and she won't let the daughter do it because it's too dangerous

a bigger question is if the "garage" is too small for a car, why not
build a wall and use a regular door, and why does the daughter enter the
house thru the garage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message

wrote:

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell
us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help,
doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put in
a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.

...an won't ask a neighbor or her daughter to step up a ladder and
take a photo of the model label.

oh, that's an easy one: the neighbor will be too old and not have a
camera and she won't let the daughter do it because it's too dangerous

a bigger question is if the "garage" is too small for a car, why not
build a wall and use a regular door, and why does the daughter enter the
house thru the garage?

You guys are new to this one. She has been pulling these stunts for years
on other newsgroups. Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:48:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"David Martel" wrote in message
Julie,

Manufacturer? Model number?

Dave M.

It's a Chamberlain and from what I can tell, the cheapest. I have no way to
get up there and see what model number it is. I wouldn't think that would
matter. The wireless key pad is what is the problem. I think...

Mine quit about 2 days after the warranty ran out. It was NOT a
wireless one..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:51:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

It wasn't properly programmed. The seller SHOULD have provided you
with the manual with progctions. Some have an "abreviated" closing
mode where you only need to touch one or 2 buttons to close. I believe
it was a feature on a very few keypads. Your dealer/installer SHOULD
have explained it to you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:00:55 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

wrote:

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell
us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help,
doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put in
a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.

...an won't ask a neighbor or her daughter to step up a ladder and
take a photo of the model label.

oh, that's an easy one: the neighbor will be too old and not have a
camera and she won't let the daughter do it because it's too dangerous

a bigger question is if the "garage" is too small for a car, why not
build a wall and use a regular door, and why does the daughter enter the
house thru the garage?

Lots of older "garages" are too small for a car, but the garage door
makes it easy to get the bikes, snowblower, lawnmower, and garbage
cans in and out. As for the daughter -- mabee she can't be trusted not
to lose the key????

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

he did. You just don't know this OP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:04:47 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Smoked or fried Black mullet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Smoked or fried Black mullet?

No, nothing at all. It is an unbelievable experience with her over at
rec.food.cooking, and you have had only a "taste" of it here with her.

Just leave her be and she may go away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 13:58:00 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Smoked or fried Black mullet?

No, nothing at all. It is an unbelievable experience with her over at
rec.food.cooking, and you have had only a "taste" of it here with her.

Just leave her be and she may go away.

Sounds like she doesn't give good head.! I do note she ran off in this
thread. Sara did the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Smoked or fried Black mullet?

No, nothing at all. It is an unbelievable experience with her over at
rec.food.cooking, and you have had only a "taste" of it here with her.

Just leave her be and she may go away.

Sounds like she doesn't give good head.! I do note she ran off in this
thread. Sara did the same thing.

You have no idea. At least here people catch on quick. Elsewhere she
tosses a few grenades and the reverberations last for weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If it involves getting up to the unit, forget it. I'm disabled and I
can't
get up there.

Did you have a recent storm with lightning? Do you have a neighbor?
Can your daughter climb a ladder?

No, yes and yes but... I looked up about the Clicker and there is no way I
would try to reprogram it. The thing didn't get very good reviews and
people said it was very hard to program. Apparently you do it all at the
Clicker unit itself. My fear is that something would go wrong and then we'd
still have to call for repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

He was a total idiot and ass. I had just gotten out of the hospital and was
very ill and weak. I couldn't stay out there and watch him. He just kept
leaving again and again and didn't put things right. I spent hours and
hours all through the day and night trying to get the company to answer the
phone. I didn't even think to ask for the manuals but from what I read
online, this unit is a bitch to reprogram.

But... None of this would explain why when I put in the 2 digits, it would
start to close and then reopen. At any rate, this guy didn't know what he
was doing at all.

If there are any more problems, I will not call this place again. I will
call my bro's neighbor. Yes, I'll have to pay. But I don't care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

No he did not. You don't know the installer. He wouldn't even answer his
phone after they told him to come out here. I suspect it is because he did
not like me. And he knows that I did not like him. Especially after he
tried to scam me out of some money that my husband had already paid him.
And because they had to keep sending him back again and again to put the job
right. It still isn't right but it was as good as I was going to get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Friday, September 19, 2014 12:06:48 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds
wrote:
In article ,

Tony Hwang wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

As I said... I already called them once. They sent me two new Clickers so
I could take the clips off of them. I don't think the make and model are
even necessary to know. The item in question is not the garage door opener
itself but the item called the Clicker. It is the wireless keypad. This is
it right here. You can see the model number there.

http://www.chamberlain.com/clicker-a...s-entry-system

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell
us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help,
doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put in
a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.

...an won't ask a neighbor or her daughter to step up a ladder and
take a photo of the model label.

Here's the link again.

http://www.chamberlain.com/clicker-a...s-entry-system

Why would it be necessary to know what the garage door opener is? The
problem is with the Clicker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell
us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help,
doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put
in
a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.

...an won't ask a neighbor or her daughter to step up a ladder and
take a photo of the model label.

oh, that's an easy one: the neighbor will be too old and not have a
camera and she won't let the daughter do it because it's too dangerous

a bigger question is if the "garage" is too small for a car, why not
build a wall and use a regular door, and why does the daughter enter the
house thru the garage?

You guys are new to this one. She has been pulling these stunts for years
on other newsgroups. Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

I'm not pulling anything. All of the ranch style houses have the little
garage. I don't know why it is that way except that they have the water
heater out there. This used to be a very small 2 bedroom house. It has a
small shed built in on the outside of the garage so why the garage is on
there is beyond me. Had I built the house, I would have made a much larger
kitchen with a pantry. The garage is what I wound up using as a pantry
because there isn't enough space in the kitchen for much food.

This house and many others that used to be like it have been remodeled.
This house is now 1700 sq. feet with three bedrooms and two full baths.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Smoked or fried Black mullet?

No, nothing at all. It is an unbelievable experience with her over at
rec.food.cooking, and you have had only a "taste" of it here with her.

Just leave her be and she may go away.

I wish you'd go away. I did ask about specific things and so far nobody I
have asked has had an answer. I suppose I could try calling support again
but when I had to do that for the clips I spent several hours on the phone
being bounced from wrong department to wrong department.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Smoked or fried Black mullet?

No, nothing at all. It is an unbelievable experience with her over at
rec.food.cooking, and you have had only a "taste" of it here with her.

Just leave her be and she may go away.

Sounds like she doesn't give good head.! I do note she ran off in this
thread. Sara did the same thing.

I didn't run off. I've been busy and not home. Two questions remain. If
the code that we were using was wrong... How could the door have been
opening for months? And why when I put in the first two digits did it start
to close but then did not. Did this three times then wouldn't do a thing
when I put in the code.

Also when the guy left, I tried the code three different times and it
wouldn't work. But then it started working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Smoked or fried Black mullet?

No, nothing at all. It is an unbelievable experience with her over at
rec.food.cooking, and you have had only a "taste" of it here with her.

Just leave her be and she may go away.

Sounds like she doesn't give good head.! I do note she ran off in this
thread. Sara did the same thing.

You have no idea. At least here people catch on quick. Elsewhere she
tosses a few grenades and the reverberations last for weeks.

There is nothing to catch on to. Everything I have said is the truth but
nothing about this makes any sense to me. My friends were freaking out
about it and telling me to change the passcode. Yeah, the tech. knows it
but I can't figure out how to do it and I'm pretty sure nobody else could
figure it out given the confusing online instructions. So... I'd still
have to call another tech. to change it. Plus, we are not wealthy and we
have nothing really of value in here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:00:55 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I don't really want her climbing ladders. She had a stress fracture in her
back and then some problems following that. Husband and I are both disabled
but in different ways. Neither of us should climb a ladder but... In
looking it up online, the reprogramming is done totally at the Clicker
itself and not the garage door opener. But the three reviewers said it was
a PITA to try to reprogram so I don't want to try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"David Martel" wrote in message
Julie,

Manufacturer? Model number?

Dave M.

It's a Chamberlain and from what I can tell, the cheapest. I have no way
get up there and see what model number it is. I wouldn't think that would
matter. The wireless key pad is what is the problem. I think...

Mine quit about 2 days after the warranty ran out. It was NOT a
wireless one..

I didn't know that they made them that were not wireless. Hmmm... At any
rate I know know that this model isn't a very good one. At least not
according to online reviews.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:16:08 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

In April or May we had a new garage door opener installed.

When I got back with the phone, he told me that he had
reprogrammed the unit. Not sure how since he had no ladder
or step stool and I had only been gone for less than a minute.
Maybe 20 seconds. Then he said that we needed o put in 123455.
Say what? How could 12345 have worked all this time?
And we did not have to press the # either. Just the numbers,
although my instructions say to press the # button.

Can you find the model number by matching your opener, including its
accessories (keypad, remotes, wall console), to a picture at
HomeDepot.com, Sears.com, or Amazon.com?

You can get instructions from Chamberlain's website, but I think
that requires specifying the model number. However Sears.com
sells both Chamberlain and Sears Craftsman brand openers (made
by Chamberlain) and has user manuals available on each model's
web page.

You can change the PIN of the keypad unit without pressing the
purple button on the overhead unit if you can get the current
PIN to work: Enter the current PIN, then press and hold # until
the overhead unit blinks or clicks. Then enter the new PIN and
hit ENTER. With my Chamberlain, you don't normally press #
after entering the PIN, and the PIN can be only 4 digits, not 5 or
6.

With some models you can also program the other remotes without
pressing the purple button on the overhead unit, provided the
wall console has more than one button. Some require pressing
and holding the LIGHT button and then then the open/close button,
while other consoles have a LEARN button, possibly hidden behind
a swing-up lid:

http://i.sears.com/s/d/pdf/mp-tc/spi...rod_1009154912

http://download.sears.com/own/spin_prod_660159701.pdf

However the following model does not allow configuring the remotes
through the wall console because it has only one button:

http://download.sears.com/own/spin_prod_683911801.pdf

It may be possible that installing a multi-button wall console
will allow programming the remotes through it, but I wouldn't
be surprised if the overhead unit isn't designed for that.

If you phone Chamberlain, beware that they have 3 levels of
employees: installers, technicians, and senior technicians,
and you probably want to speak with one of the last two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, yes and yes but... I looked up about the Clicker and there is no
way I would try to reprogram it. The thing didn't get very good reviews
and people said it was very hard to program. Apparently you do it all
at the Clicker unit itself. My fear is that something would go wrong
and then we'd still have to call for repair.

Excuse me, Julie but you're an ASS

Reading your crap for amusement - or is that abusement - I am amazed,
simply amazed that you survive without being hooked up to life support!

"My fear is that something could go wrong and..." You dumbass! How is
that any different than the predicament you ALLEGEDLY find yourself in now?

"I'm sitting here in the dark and I'm afraid to flip the light switch.
It might not work and I'll be sitting in the dark."

Dumbass? or Ass? ASS gets the vote here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/21/2014 2:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

I wish you'd go away. I did ask about specific things and so far nobody
I have asked has had an answer. I suppose I could try calling support
again but when I had to do that for the clips I spent several hours on
the phone being bounced from wrong department to wrong department.

Julie, the only reason you got bounced around from department to
department was sheer vindictiveness. There are folks at Chamberlain who
have it in for their co-workers. What better way to ruin their day than
to foist a drama queen like on them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, yes and yes but... I looked up about the Clicker and there is no
way I would try to reprogram it. The thing didn't get very good reviews
and people said it was very hard to program. Apparently you do it all
at the Clicker unit itself. My fear is that something would go wrong
and then we'd still have to call for repair.

Excuse me, Julie but you're an ASS

Reading your crap for amusement - or is that abusement - I am amazed,
simply amazed that you survive without being hooked up to life support!

"My fear is that something could go wrong and..." You dumbass! How is
that any different than the predicament you ALLEGEDLY find yourself in
now?

"I'm sitting here in the dark and I'm afraid to flip the light switch. It
might not work and I'll be sitting in the dark."

Dumbass? or Ass? ASS gets the vote here.

I have been begging the folks over in a food group to just ignore this one.
I personally think she is made up, as her stories never make sense, her
threads lack consistency, and her posts seem designed to stir things up to
no end.

Save A.H.R. Don't respond to this one, or to those suckers who respond to
her.