Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just curious whether an attic fan is apropos here

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:04:34 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
Oren wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:26:45 -0700:

Ordinarily, the whole house fan is mounted in a hallway ceiling. I

don't think that would be the best option.

There is one of these in most rooms...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3896/1...e81f083e_c.jpg

Is that a 'whole house fan'?

Yes, it's just missing the 3 ft round hole above to push air into
the attic. Get a saw and cut that whole all around the fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:04:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...ef7ef803_b.jpg

That looks like a bathroom ventilation fan to extract moisture from

the bathroom. It's mounted in the ceiling in the bathroom? Going out a

soffit vent...

Yeah, that isn't supposed to be, but I've seen it before. Proably not the
worst thing, but I think it's a code violation. Also, maybe it's just the
perspective, but don't those rafters seems kind of far apart? And he
did say it's a tile roof.

I'd be concerned with moisture collecting in the ducts. Pooling in low
spots for potential leaks later.

I can't tell if the duct lines are rigid or flexible. How they are
pitched or why the use a soffit vent for exhaust?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:09:08 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

There is one of these in most rooms...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3896/1...e81f083e_c.jpg

Is that a 'whole house fan'?

Yes, it's just missing the 3 ft round hole above to push air into
the attic. Get a saw and cut that whole all around the fan.

Giggle. Don't tell Danny that. You and I almost had to fly out there
and fix his pool pump
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:33:23 -0700:

I think the only ventilation is what these little openings provide.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...ef7ef803_b.jpg

That looks like a bathroom ventilation fan to extract moisture from
the bathroom. It's mounted in the ceiling in the bathroom? Going out a
soffit vent...

Yes. That was connected to the bathroom. I hadn't even known that
but when you said this, I turned it on, and then went to the attic
two floors up, and noticed that it was humming. So, you know what
it is, better than I do!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...ef7ef803_b.jpg

That looks like a bathroom ventilation fan to extract moisture from

the bathroom. It's mounted in the ceiling in the bathroom? Going out a

soffit vent...

Yeah, that isn't supposed to be, but I've seen it before. Proably not the

worst thing, but I think it's a code violation. Also, maybe it's just the

perspective, but don't those rafters seems kind of far apart? And he

did say it's a tile roof.

I'd be concerned with moisture collecting in the ducts. Pooling in low

spots for potential leaks later.

I can't tell if the duct lines are rigid or flexible. How they are

pitched or why the use a soffit vent for exhaust?

Typically they are flex, very easy to install. The easy part is also why
a lot of them wind up run to soffit vents, though as I said IDT that's code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:04:33 -0700:

but don't those rafters seems kind of far apart? And he
did say it's a tile roof.

The roof is definitely tile, no doubt about that.
I just measured, center to center, that they're 24 inches:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3884/1...c946f1ca_b.jpg
And that they're six inches tall:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3842/1...3cd7acaa_b.jpg

Is that not normal?
NOTE: We don't get snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:04:51 +0000:

I just measured, center to center, that they're 24 inches:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3884/1...c946f1ca_b.jpg
And that they're six inches tall:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3842/1...3cd7acaa_b.jpg

oops. 9 inches tall, 24 inches apart.
Is that not normal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:54:46 -0700:

You and I almost had to fly out there
and fix his pool pump

Yeah, and my garage door rube goldberg plate metal to hold
the supports, and my sister's garbage disposal, and her
bathroom toilet cooties, and my alarm system ... and ... and ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:08:03 -0700:

There's only a vent in one gable? Nothing in the other ends?
Depending on how it would look, what those other sides face, you
could put another gable vent in. That would double the exit venting.
And also help even more, maybe, depending on the prevailing winds.

There are about five of those gables. All of them meet in the
middle of the house, so, they all kinda combine at different levels.

One time I drilled between floors, and it took 5 feet of drill just
to get from one floor to the ceiling of the other floor, so, they
have all sorts of secret passageways (all closed off) between the
floors.

Dunno why. I'm not the original owner. But the point is that the
five attics all kind of meet in the middle, but not really. You
can only crawl between two of them. The rest are totally self
contained.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 7:05:46 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
Danny D. wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:04:51 +0000:

I just measured, center to center, that they're 24 inches:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3884/1...c946f1ca_b.jpg

And that they're six inches tall:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3842/1...3cd7acaa_b.jpg

oops. 9 inches tall, 24 inches apart.

Is that not normal?

Those are some whopping big uns, 2 x 10s. I wouldn't have thought they
were that from the pic. So, yeah I think they're fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:15:36 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote in

Last I checked, the 520 foot well was producing gray water, which is
water that I saw myself (they wouldn't let me photograph it so that
picture is from across the neighbor's yard).

For two weeks, they had pumped the water out of that new 520 foot
well, but it was *still* as gray as paint! I saw it with my own eyes.

The guy showed me a white 5-gallon bucket with the water in it and
he said the gray is part of the water. It doesn't settle out.

Well, that doesn't sound good at all. I hope it clears up, and it
should have after two weeks of pumping. Let us know how it works out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG wrote, on Mon, 01 Sep 2014 08:07:05 -0500:

Well, that doesn't sound good at all. I hope it clears up, and it
should have after two weeks of pumping. Let us know how it works out.

I'll try.
The problem is that every house is gated, so, I can't just walk up
to anyone's property. Also, the neighbor I help is the next-door
neighbor to the one who did the drilling. Up until this new well,
they shared a well; but now they're divorcing from that contract,
so to speak. I'll see what I can find out, especially if/when I
see the drillers, I'll pump them for information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 22:55:16 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Oren wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:33:23 -0700:

I think the only ventilation is what these little openings provide.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...ef7ef803_b.jpg

That looks like a bathroom ventilation fan to extract moisture from
the bathroom. It's mounted in the ceiling in the bathroom? Going out a
soffit vent...

Yes. That was connected to the bathroom. I hadn't even known that
but when you said this, I turned it on, and then went to the attic
two floors up, and noticed that it was humming. So, you know what
it is, better than I do!

Remember, I told your the story about huckleberries and baskets wink

Now you know!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:05:46 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Danny D. wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:04:51 +0000:

I just measured, center to center, that they're 24 inches:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3884/1...c946f1ca_b.jpg
And that they're six inches tall:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3842/1...3cd7acaa_b.jpg

oops. 9 inches tall, 24 inches apart.
Is that not normal?

My roof trusses are 2X4 construction with a tile roof. I'd not worry
about the spacing. The truss engineer figured it all out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:09:46 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Oren wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:54:46 -0700:

You and I almost had to fly out there
and fix his pool pump

Yeah, and my garage door rube goldberg plate metal to hold
the supports, and my sister's garbage disposal, and her
bathroom toilet cooties, and my alarm system ... and ... and ...

....because we love you G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:20:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I just measured, center to center, that they're 24 inches:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3884/1...c946f1ca_b.jpg

And that they're six inches tall:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3842/1...3cd7acaa_b.jpg

oops. 9 inches tall, 24 inches apart.

Is that not normal?

Those are some whopping big uns, 2 x 10s. I wouldn't have thought they
were that from the pic. So, yeah I think they're fine.

Notice the 2X10s have no knots. Nice wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote, on Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:20:35 -0700:

Notice the 2X10s have no knots. Nice wood.

What size are "normal" rafters?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote, on Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:14:38 -0700:

...because we love you G

Well, there was that one guy from southern California,
who didn't ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 00:04:15 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Oren wrote, on Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:20:35 -0700:

Notice the 2X10s have no knots. Nice wood.

What size are "normal" rafters?

Depends on what the truss engineer calls for from the blueprints, best
I can tell. Mine are 2X4, your's are 2X10. I've seen some 2X6 inch.

I'd image a lot goes into it the calculations, like roof loads, etc.
It's outside my pay grade
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 00:05:13 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

...because we love you G

Well, there was that one guy from southern California,
who didn't ...

Did it take any beans off your plate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote, on Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:16:56 -0700:

Mine are 2X4, your's are 2X10. I've seen some 2X6 inch.

Well, I guess with mine being larger, I shouldn't worry; but someone had
said they thought the framing was funky so, I was just a bit worried.

Thanks, as always, for your insight!