Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flue reducer

I need to replace the flange for my furnace flue.

The old oil furnace had a 6" flue and my replacement gas furnace has a
4" flue.

The reducing flange at the chimney is rusted out and when I went to Home
Depot all they had were adapters for 3" exhaust pipes.

This should be a common item but I don't seem to be able to find a
replacement.

I suppose I could just make one myself I have quite a bit of heavy duty
sheet metal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:08:03 -0500, philo* wrote:

I need to replace the flange for my furnace flue.

The old oil furnace had a 6" flue and my replacement gas furnace has a
4" flue.

The reducing flange at the chimney is rusted out and when I went to Home
Depot all they had were adapters for 3" exhaust pipes.

This should be a common item but I don't seem to be able to find a
replacement.

I suppose I could just make one myself I have quite a bit of heavy duty
sheet metal.

Try a stove shop or real hardware store. Home Depot has 250,000
items, but not what you need.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/494...e-Reducer.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/2014 04:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:08:03 -0500, philo wrote:

I need to replace the flange for my furnace flue.

The old oil furnace had a 6" flue and my replacement gas furnace has a
4" flue.

The reducing flange at the chimney is rusted out and when I went to Home
Depot all they had were adapters for 3" exhaust pipes.

This should be a common item but I don't seem to be able to find a
replacement.

I suppose I could just make one myself I have quite a bit of heavy duty
sheet metal.

Try a stove shop or real hardware store. Home Depot has 250,000
items, but not what you need.

Kind of what I thought.

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/494...e-Reducer.html

Thanks

I bet I end up making my own though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 28, 2014 8:28:29 AM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
On 07/28/2014 04:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:08:03 -0500, philo wrote:

I need to replace the flange for my furnace flue.

The old oil furnace had a 6" flue and my replacement gas furnace has a

4" flue.

The reducing flange at the chimney is rusted out and when I went to Home

Depot all they had were adapters for 3" exhaust pipes.

This should be a common item but I don't seem to be able to find a

replacement.

I suppose I could just make one myself I have quite a bit of heavy duty

sheet metal.

Try a stove shop or real hardware store. Home Depot has 250,000

items, but not what you need.

Kind of what I thought.

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/494...e-Reducer.html

Thanks

I bet I end up making my own though.

Plumbing/heating supply would have it. Plumbers put in WH all the time
and have to work with vent pipes and such, plus they usually sell boilers,
etc too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/2014 07:44 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Thanks

I bet I end up making my own though.

Plumbing/heating supply would have it. Plumbers put in WH all the time
and have to work with vent pipes and such, plus they usually sell boilers,
etc too.

I found a nice plate that's about 3/8" thick and all I have to do is
cut a hole in it with a 4" hole saw. The piece that rusted through was
almost paper thin yet it laster over 20 years. The piece I intend to put
in should last 100 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2014 12:57 PM, philo wrote:

I found a nice plate that's about 3/8" thick and all I have to do is
cut a hole in it with a 4" hole saw. The piece that rusted through was
almost paper thin yet it laster over 20 years. The piece I intend to put
in should last 100 years.

We anticipate your update in 100 years, via
Google Groups.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/2014 12:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/28/2014 12:57 PM, philo wrote:

I found a nice plate that's about 3/8" thick and all I have to do is
cut a hole in it with a 4" hole saw. The piece that rusted through was
almost paper thin yet it laster over 20 years. The piece I intend to put
in should last 100 years.

We anticipate your update in 100 years, via
Google Groups.

LOL

actually I went back to Home Depot for some other parts and looking in
the "duct" isle again and found some 4" flanges. Since they are so thin
I bought two and doubled them up. So, they may only be good for 40 years.

Reducer (Plumbing) p.mc[_2_] UK diy 4 February 25th 11 10:31 PM
pipe cup reducer terminology? R D S[_2_] UK diy 1 August 4th 08 08:58 AM
Stool Reducer Duff[_2_] Home Repair 10 January 15th 08 01:45 AM
Gas fire to fit on an external wall with a bent flue or a long (approx 1metre) flue david UK diy 2 October 22nd 06 01:54 PM
22x15mm internal reducer - how do I use it? Reestit Mutton UK diy 10 December 20th 05 12:04 AM