Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Faucet

How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought this
house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since, perhaps 8
years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the faucet about 2
years after it was put in. The ring (appears decorative) around the sprayer
came totally loose. Then the sprayer began sticking in the on position.
Now it has gotten to the point of being severe. So much so that I am afraid
to use the sprayer.

The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think he
ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use Mr.
Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him until I have a
list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just to get him in the
door.

But... How long should a faucet normally last?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:55:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought this
house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since, perhaps 8
years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the faucet about 2
years after it was put in. The ring (appears decorative) around the sprayer
came totally loose. Then the sprayer began sticking in the on position.
Now it has gotten to the point of being severe. So much so that I am afraid
to use the sprayer.

The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think he
ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use Mr.
Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him until I have a
list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just to get him in the
door.

But... How long should a faucet normally last?

Are you saying you need to fix the sprayer head or the faucet?

A local hardware store should have a replacement sprayer head to fit
the hose. Easy fix.The sprayer head may have just a bad O-ring. I
can't see it from here, though.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove View Post
But... How long should a faucet normally last?
Well, I own a small apartment block with 21 kitchen sink faucets in it. I replaced them a good 20+ years ago, and most of them are still in service.

So, if you want a number, I'd say the mean lifespan of a quality kitchen sink faucet would be about 30 years.

What greatly affects the lifespan of the faucet is the hardness of your water. If you have hard water, then scale accumulates on the working parts of the faucet and makes the faucet malfunction. That may very well be why your sprayer stopped working. If you live in a major city, you SHOULD HAVE soft water and that shouldn't be a problem. But, if you get your water from a well on your property, all bets are off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2014 9:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought this
house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since, perhaps 8
years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the faucet
about 2 years after it was put in. The ring (appears decorative) around
the sprayer came totally loose. Then the sprayer began sticking in the
on position. Now it has gotten to the point of being severe. So much so
that I am afraid to use the sprayer.

The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think
he ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use
Mr. Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him until I
have a list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just to get him
in the door.

But... How long should a faucet normally last?

How long it should last is also a function of your water quality. A
sediment filter greatly changed how long the inside guts lasted in mine
from 6 months to over 20 years.

Stick with better brands like Delta, Moen, Kohler, and avoid cheap store
brands.

The sprayer is easily replaced by any competent DIYer if you know one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I still don't get it. Is it faucet or spray head and hose(repelacement
kit available at HW stores) I had one problem with diverter valve for
the spray head which was cheap plastic. I replaced it with bronze piece,
no more problem since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" writes:

How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought
this house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since,
perhaps 8 years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the
faucet about 2 years after it was put in. The ring (appears
decorative) around the sprayer came totally loose. Then the sprayer
began sticking in the on position. Now it has gotten to the point of
being severe. So much so that I am afraid to use the sprayer.

The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think
he ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will
use Mr. Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him
until I have a list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just
to get him in the door.

But... How long should a faucet normally last?

Faucets come in a range of prices and quality.
You can pay a lot more than $250 on just the faucet.

Hoses and spray heads don't last as long as the faucet body
and controls.

14 years and I recently replaced the stainless steel clad hose.
Really a very simple job if you can screw and unscrew things.
The part cost $45.

The sprayer is due for replacement soon, I get dripping out of
the spray nozzles without the button being depressed.
The sprayer head is simple to replace too.
The part cost for that is $87.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just want a whole new thing. The faucet is leaking as well.

A local hardware store should have a replacement sprayer head to fit
the hose. Easy fix.The sprayer head may have just a bad O-ring. I
can't see it from here, though.

Could be but I have had nothing but trouble with it. The hose to the
sprayer also keeps getting caught on the plumbing below and that's a pain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
[...]

Soft water so no sediment.

Stick with better brands like Delta, Moen, Kohler, and avoid cheap store
brands.

In looking at online reviews, Delta isn't good. I have no clue what brand
this is. I can't see a brand on it anywhere.

The sprayer is easily replaced by any competent DIYer if you know one.

Yes but there are other issues and I don't know anyone who is handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

The whole thing is crap. The faucet started dripping almost right away.
And now it also leaks at the handle. It is a single handle. I just want
something better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

I looked online at Lowes and Home Depot. Lowes is closer so I suspect that
is where Mr. Handyman will go. That is where he has gone for other things.

This is not what I have but seems to have the best review for this type of
setup.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297441-866-C...ray&facetInfo=

What I have, has the solid piece of metal with the hose attached to it, and
the single handle. I presume this is what I would have to replace it with.
There are not a lot of options. To get something else I would likely have
to replace the sink and I don't really need a new sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297441-866-C...ray&facetInfo=

What I have, has the solid piece of metal with the hose
attached to it, and the single handle. I presume this is
what I would have to replace it with. There are not a lot
of options. To get something else I would likely have to
replace the sink and I don't really need a new sink.

Your sink has at least three, maybe four holes. Two holes are for hot &
cold water, one for the faucet itself; a fourth is for a separate (non-pull
down) sprayer.

You could use any faucet; if it has a pull down sprayer, there are plugs for
the extraneous hole if the faucet body doesn't cover it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2014 9:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought this
house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since, perhaps 8
years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the faucet
about 2 years after it was put in. The ring (appears decorative) around
the sprayer came totally loose. Then the sprayer began sticking in the
on position. Now it has gotten to the point of being severe. So much so
that I am afraid to use the sprayer.

The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think
he ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use
Mr. Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him until I
have a list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just to get him
in the door.

But... How long should a faucet normally last?

Mine have lasted less than 10 years and they were all Moens.
Kitchen faucet is probably most used one in the house.
I had replaced a couple myself in my younger years but now with bifocals
and stiff neck use a plumber and your charge seems about right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:44:40 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
"Dan.Espen" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

Why would you let wherever the handyman shops determine which faucet
you get? You should be able to buy a faucet anywhere and have him
install it.

This is not what I have but seems to have the best review for this type of

setup.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297441-866-C...ray&facetInfo=

What I have, has the solid piece of metal with the hose attached to it, and

the single handle. I presume this is what I would have to replace it with.

There are not a lot of options. To get something else I would likely have

to replace the sink and I don't really need a new sink.

Sinks come in standard hole configurations. Apparently you have a
3 hole sink. There should be a huge number of choices of faucets
from a variety of manufacturers that fit that sink. You can spend
$50 or $500+. IDK where the sweet spot is in terms of reliability
vs cost, but I'd stay away from the low end, plastic stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

I'm not saying HD doesn't carry high end stuff, I don't really know.
But I do know they carry low end stuff.

What I have, has the solid piece of metal with the hose attached to
it, and the single handle. I presume this is what I would have to
replace it with. There are not a lot of options. To get something
else I would likely have to replace the sink and I don't really need a
new sink.

Wrong. The odds are very low that your faucet mount is somehow unique.
You don't have to replace the sink.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

| How long should one last?
| Began having problems with the faucet about 2
| years after it was put in.

There are differences in faucets, but there are
also differences in the people using them. If someone
in the house is rough with the faucet, yanking the
hose without paying attention, or treating the handle
as an on/off switch, that can make a difference.
(I once had a landlord whose electric
appliances were all broken. Whenever he got impatient
with the appliance's performance he'd break something
off to "punish it". Even his Apple computer was missing
much of its face.

Many faucets will come with a weight to attach to
the middle of the hose, so that it will hang easily under
the sink. Whether you have that or not, you need to
arrange things so that the hose does not catch on things
in the cabinet.

In general I think the quality difference is more in the
model and cost these days than in the brand. HD
and Lowes carry most popular brands. They seem
to make deals on items of all kinds, often contracting
for models that don't exist elsewhere. The brands they carry
are respectable brands, but that doesn't necessarily mean
the HD models are top quality. What I've noticed
myself is that all of their faucets have been severely
downgraded over the years. As with much other hardware,
the makers try to find ways to replace metal with plastic.
Only 10 years ago a typical faucet base would be chrome
plated metal and the connectors would be thick copper
tubing with threaded ends to fit supply hoses. Now much
of the faucet is plastic with "chrome" paint. The connectors
are either shockingly thin copper tube or plastic hoses.
The sprayer connector itself is a chintzy plastic fitting
rather than threaded brass. I don't know how that compares
to stock from a plumbing supply, but a plumber should know
that.

| The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think he
| ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use Mr.
| Handyman next time if I can wait that long.

$250 for a plumber to replace a faucet is cheap
where I live. Undoubtedly the faucet was cheap.
Did you tell the plumber you wanted the best, regardless
of cost? He/she may have guessed that you valued low
price most.
If you're going to call someone else
next time, who will then buy the faucet at HD or Lowes,
you're going to get another cheap faucet. (Not
necessarily a bad one, but a cheap one.) HD and
Lowes don't specialize in high quality of anything,
in my experience. That's not to say that all of their
stuff is junk, but they're retailers first, and most of
their customers have limited expertise while they're
looking for a cheap price.

If anyone really has the experience to know the
quality difference between models it will be a plumber.
I think you'd be better off finding a plumber who you
trust. While you're at it, ask him or her why the old
faucet wore out. The plumber will likely have a much
better idea than a bunch of people in a newsgroup who
are guessing based on very little information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

For the time being, there is repair kit for that too. springs, o rings,
etc. It will buy you good amount of time. Shut the water off, take the
faucet apart repalce worn parts, done in half an hour. All you need is
basic hand tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This looks like what I got 12 years ago, still functioning just fine
although I did have to put a new seal/washer in the hot water cartridge
a coupe of years ago. You can change the whole faucet in 30 minutes
including a 15 minute coffee break. Some have only one O ring on the
swivel, best to get the ones with two O rings. I don't know what this
country is coming to when a person can't change their own faucets or
look under the counter and determine why the sprayer hose hangs.
About 30 bucks for one like this down at the local "we have
everything" store Made with love from China, actually the machined
parts were high quality, looked like something going on an airplane
instead of the kitchen sink.

http://www.amazon.com/LDR-011-3401-K...923004&sr=1-88

On 4/18/2014 8:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought this
house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since, perhaps 8
years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the faucet
about 2 years after it was put in. The ring (appears decorative) around
the sprayer came totally loose. Then the sprayer began sticking in the
on position. Now it has gotten to the point of being severe. So much so
that I am afraid to use the sprayer.

The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think
he ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use
Mr. Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him until I
have a list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just to get him
in the door.

But... How long should a faucet normally last?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 11:06:42 -0500, Fat-Dumb and Happy
wrote:

This looks like what I got 12 years ago, still functioning just fine
although I did have to put a new seal/washer in the hot water cartridge
a coupe of years ago. You can change the whole faucet in 30 minutes
including a 15 minute coffee break. Some have only one O ring on the
swivel, best to get the ones with two O rings. I don't know what this
country is coming to when a person can't change their own faucets or
look under the counter and determine why the sprayer hose hangs.
About 30 bucks for one like this down at the local "we have
everything" store Made with love from China, actually the machined
parts were high quality, looked like something going on an airplane
instead of the kitchen sink.

http://www.amazon.com/LDR-011-3401-K...923004&sr=1-88

I'm glad you like your purchase. I'll never own another faucet with
Acrylic handles, never. Eventually they will crack and split at the
stem. Could never find the proper ones to fit snug. Most stores
carry a "universal" replacement, which in my opinion is just as bad as
the original Acrylic handles. I did find a set on plated handles that
worked but was not completely satisfied. Sold the house YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fat-Dumb and Happy writes:

I don't know what this country is coming to when a person can't change
their own faucets or look under the counter and determine why the
sprayer hose hangs.

Going to assume you mean the USA, but the OP could be from anywhere.

Usually, it's won't, not can't.

I'm going to cast a little blame on our education.
I don't remember the class where they explained how plumbing works
introduced us to wrenches, the fuse box, a level.

Sure, if you weren't too smart and were taking vocational training
you might have gotten some of that.

Had a plumber here once working on a bathroom remodel.
While he was here I discovered a clogged drain.
He offered to clear it.
I told him, "I'll be damned if I pay a plumber to clear a drain".
Got a really strange look.

Apparently a lot of people are not familiar with snakes.

When I had the drain cleared in a few minutes, he called his brother
(the GC) recounting the story.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297441-866-C...ray&facetInfo=

What I have, has the solid piece of metal with the hose
attached to it, and the single handle. I presume this is
what I would have to replace it with. There are not a lot
of options. To get something else I would likely have to
replace the sink and I don't really need a new sink.

Your sink has at least three, maybe four holes. Two holes are for hot &
cold water, one for the faucet itself; a fourth is for a separate
(non-pull down) sprayer.

You could use any faucet; if it has a pull down sprayer, there are plugs
for the extraneous hole if the faucet body doesn't cover it.

There is another hole. It is an overflow, I think. I am interested in the
pulldown sprayer but not sure how problematic they are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 11:50:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

There is another hole. It is an overflow, I think. I am interested in the
pulldown sprayer but not sure how problematic they are.

You can remove the air gap vent on top of the sink and then use an
under sink solution. The air gap relates to the dishwasher/drainage.

Pics

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/plumbing/16988d1235612177-newly-chronic-overflow-dishwasher-dishwasher-air-gap-installation.gif

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/plumbing/29993d1269632734-dishwasher-overflow-vent-sink-required-high-loop.jpg

Then you can use the hole for a sprayer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in message
| How long should one last?
| Began having problems with the faucet about 2
| years after it was put in.

There are differences in faucets, but there are
also differences in the people using them. If someone
in the house is rough with the faucet, yanking the
hose without paying attention, or treating the handle
as an on/off switch, that can make a difference.
(I once had a landlord whose electric
appliances were all broken. Whenever he got impatient
with the appliance's performance he'd break something
off to "punish it". Even his Apple computer was missing
much of its face.

Many faucets will come with a weight to attach to
the middle of the hose, so that it will hang easily under
the sink. Whether you have that or not, you need to
arrange things so that the hose does not catch on things
in the cabinet.

Hmmm... No weight on mine and I can't really rearrange the knobs down there
which is what it is getting caught on. The old one never did tat.

[...]

Yes. Much of mine is plastic made to look like chrome.

| The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think
he
| ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use
Mr.
| Handyman next time if I can wait that long.

$250 for a plumber to replace a faucet is cheap
where I live. Undoubtedly the faucet was cheap.
Did you tell the plumber you wanted the best, regardless
of cost? He/she may have guessed that you valued low
price most.
If you're going to call someone else
next time, who will then buy the faucet at HD or Lowes,
you're going to get another cheap faucet. (Not
necessarily a bad one, but a cheap one.) HD and
Lowes don't specialize in high quality of anything,
in my experience. That's not to say that all of their
stuff is junk, but they're retailers first, and most of
their customers have limited expertise while they're
looking for a cheap price.

It wasn't $250 to replace. It wa $250 plus installation. There is no way
that this is a $250 faucet! He also put one in the garage. Told me he had
one he would get me a deal on but charged $250 for that too and no sprayer.
It's just a cheap utility sink. That particular plumbing company also
charged me $250 plus installation to replace what was perhaps a $12 toilet
part. I got another guy to intall a whole new toilet for slightly less than
that! Which is why I don't want to use them unless it is in emergency. I
have tried three different plumbing companies. All seem to do shoddy work
in that I have to keep calling them back again and again for the same thing.
At least with Mr. Handyman, if the job wasn't done right, he comes back and
puts it right and doesn't charge me again.

If anyone really has the experience to know the
quality difference between models it will be a plumber.
I think you'd be better off finding a plumber who you
trust. While you're at it, ask him or her why the old
faucet wore out. The plumber will likely have a much
better idea than a bunch of people in a newsgroup who
are guessing based on very little information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fat-Dumb and Happy" wrote in message
This looks like what I got 12 years ago, still functioning just fine
although I did have to put a new seal/washer in the hot water cartridge a
coupe of years ago. You can change the whole faucet in 30 minutes
including a 15 minute coffee break. Some have only one O ring on the
swivel, best to get the ones with two O rings. I don't know what this
country is coming to when a person can't change their own faucets or look
under the counter and determine why the sprayer hose hangs.
About 30 bucks for one like this down at the local "we have everything"
store Made with love from China, actually the machined parts were high
quality, looked like something going on an airplane instead of the kitchen
sink.

http://www.amazon.com/LDR-011-3401-K...923004&sr=1-88

Thanks! Looks like what my parents used to have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The ones I've had, have gotten moldy inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
Fat-Dumb and Happy writes:

[...]

Oooh! Do *not* call them snakes in front of a plumber. I had one totally
go off on me. Told me there was no such thing as a snake!

I did manage to clear my slow draining bathtub. Took me the better part of
the day and gallons of hot water, vinegar and a lot of baking soda. But
usually I am no good at plumbing stuff and if anything, I only make things
worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
Fat-Dumb and Happy writes:

[...]

Really? Wikipedia says:

A plumber's snake, sometimes known as a "toilet jack" or "electric
eel", is a flexible auger used to remove clogs in plumbing that cannot
be loosened with a plunger.

What did he want you to call it, an auger?

I did manage to clear my slow draining bathtub. Took me the better
part of the day and gallons of hot water, vinegar and a lot of baking
soda.

Bathtubs are tough. The water/chemical approach doesn't really get the
job done well. A snake can work, but it's not easy. I had a tough
bathtub and fooled with chemicals for a long time. Finally I got in the
tub, used the entry point where the lever is, and pulled out loads of
hair and muck.

But usually I am no good at plumbing stuff and if anything, I
only make things worse.

As with lots of things, persistence pays off.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/19/2014 03:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Oooh! Do *not* call them snakes in front of a plumber. I had one totally go off on me. Told me there was no such thing as a snake!

A professional plumber would *never* insult a customer like that.

And not only was he unprofessional, he's wrong as well.

Send the 'drip' this link so he can buy a plumbing snake.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/snake.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2014 1:55 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
Had a plumber here once working on a bathroom remodel.
While he was here I discovered a clogged drain.
He offered to clear it.
I told him, "I'll be damned if I pay a plumber to clear a drain".
Got a really strange look.

Apparently a lot of people are not familiar with snakes.

When I had the drain cleared in a few minutes, he called his brother
(the GC) recounting the story.

Consider his perspective. Most of his calls are
probably people who can't or won't clear their
own drains. Wish I had a brother who is a GC.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I would just as soon just replace the unit. I really never liked it. But
thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
Fat-Dumb and Happy writes:

[...]

Yep. Auger. He was really angry when I mentioned the snake. I used to
sell plumbing and everyone referred to it as a snake!

I did manage to clear my slow draining bathtub. Took me the better
part of the day and gallons of hot water, vinegar and a lot of baking
soda.

Bathtubs are tough. The water/chemical approach doesn't really get the
job done well. A snake can work, but it's not easy. I had a tough
bathtub and fooled with chemicals for a long time. Finally I got in the
tub, used the entry point where the lever is, and pulled out loads of
hair and muck.

I did not want to have to remove the overflow thing on the tub. It's a bit
oversized, jetted tub. I have a nice little snaking thing that works well
in the shower but due to the design of the tub drain, it won't go in there
very far.

I think the problem with the tub was lint. I only use it for hand wash now.
The design is poor and I was having extreme trouble getting in and out of
it. After slipping twice trying to get out, despite having all sorts of
rubber mats everywhere and then daughter slipping, we just opted for
showers.

But usually I am no good at plumbing stuff and if anything, I
only make things worse.

As with lots of things, persistence pays off.

Yes. I figured I didn't have much to lose with the clog/slow drain. Wasn't
like I was using harsh chemicals or taking anything apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zhang Yijie" wrote in message
b.com...
On 04/19/2014 03:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Oooh! Do *not* call them snakes in front of a plumber. I had one
totally go off on me. Told me there was no such thing as a snake!

A professional plumber would *never* insult a customer like that.

And not only was he unprofessional, he's wrong as well.

Send the 'drip' this link so he can buy a plumbing snake.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/snake.html

Heh! I actually had one guy tell me that plumbing doesn't have vents. This
was a supposed handyman/plumber that I called to unclog the kitchen sink.
It was clogged when we bought the house. I told him it was clogged. He
made me wait two weeks. I assumed this was normal. Having only ever rented
or lived in military housing, I had no idea that I could actually call a
plumber and have them come right away. My parents did own their houses but
in one case, our next door neighbor was a plumber and my dad often did his
own repairs, including putting in faucets and a tub! But he is no longer
with us.

Anyway... When the guy finally got here, he said he didn't do clogs! I
made the mistake of telling this to another guy who was a general
contractor/plumber. Said, "What kind of plumber doesn't do clogs?" He
just laughed and said that he didn't do clogs either. But he did create a
problem in my shower. He was called in (friend of a friend of my gardener)
to fix a leaking pipe from the house to the main line. I'd had it repaired
two years prior but the repairs didn't hold. He put in a whole new copper
pipe. But... A few months later on Christmas Eve, water began pouring from
my shower and wouldn't stop. Long story short, he didn't flush the line out
and flux (I think that's what the plumber said) built up and made its way to
the shower. Grrr...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 4/19/2014 1:55 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
Had a plumber here once working on a bathroom remodel.
While he was here I discovered a clogged drain.
He offered to clear it.
I told him, "I'll be damned if I pay a plumber to clear a drain".
Got a really strange look.

Apparently a lot of people are not familiar with snakes.

When I had the drain cleared in a few minutes, he called his brother
(the GC) recounting the story.

Consider his perspective. Most of his calls are
probably people who can't or won't clear their
own drains. Wish I had a brother who is a GC.

Me too. Mine is good with computers so I can't complain. But still, I wish
we had some home type handy people around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2014 5:37 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

There are a zillion "how to" videos on Youtube....you even have your
choice of a clean-cut professional plumber or a homeowner in a dirty
t-shirt who cusses a lot. Videos often get down to brand-specific help,
and it is worth the time to learn the simple stuff. If you live in a
house or apartment, you need to know how to maintain stuff.

As for the sprayer hose hooking onto the shut-off valve (I think they
all do that), I got a section of pvc pipe, taped (or glued? I don't
remember) it against the wall with the valve inside....it sticks out far
enough that the hose can't reach to loop around it. There are probably
better ways of doing it, like setting a jar of sand in front of the
valve. Good luck in your plumbing endeavors ;O)

Kitchen Faucet Jeff Thies Home Repair 9 October 16th 10 02:34 PM
Squeaking kitchen faucet [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 5th 06 04:44 AM
What to look for in a kitchen faucet? [email protected] Home Repair 25 June 3rd 06 07:52 AM
What to look for in a kitchen faucet? [email protected] Home Ownership 23 June 3rd 06 07:52 AM
3 way kitchen faucet? Toller Home Repair 1 May 5th 06 08:53 PM