Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flexseal TV scam

You have likely seen the tv commercial for Flexseal. It sells for
$19.99 per can, but the commercial says you get a FREE can, (plus
separate shipping and handling). I checked into this on their website.
The S&H is $9.99 per can. Thus, those two cans cost you about $40.

Walmart sells it. $12.99 per can. Thus you'll pay about $26 for two
cans, and save $14 (not to mention the wait time). [Ok, there will
probably be sales tax, but no where near $14].

So much for their "FREE" can.
You can actually get about 3 cans at Walmart for the same price as the
"order by mail", and that allows for the sales tax.

*WHAT A SCAM*

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 10, 2014 1:56:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
You have likely seen the tv commercial for Flexseal. It sells for

$19.99 per can, but the commercial says you get a FREE can, (plus

separate shipping and handling). I checked into this on their website.

The S&H is $9.99 per can. Thus, those two cans cost you about $40.

Walmart sells it. $12.99 per can. Thus you'll pay about $26 for two

cans, and save $14 (not to mention the wait time). [Ok, there will

probably be sales tax, but no where near $14].

So much for their "FREE" can.

You can actually get about 3 cans at Walmart for the same price as the

"order by mail", and that allows for the sales tax.

*WHAT A SCAM*

Anyone try this stuff for those small cracks in certain drywall
locations that keep reappearing, ie spraying it with that, then
painting over it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If you don't want to actually *fix* it by re-taping, use acrylic caulk...rub
in with finger, paint when dry.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 10, 2014 1:56:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
You have likely seen the tv commercial for Flexseal. It sells for $19.99 per can, but the commercial says you get a FREE can, (plus separate shipping and handling). I checked into this on their website. The S&H is $9.99 per can. Thus, those two cans cost you about $40.

I was scammed. It cost me 50 bucks for the two cans. Upon calling I was told I must have received their larger cans.
I still have not tried the stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Retaping it doesn't always work and it's a lot more work.
In a house there is always going to be some amount of movement,
especially over temp and humidity variations. I'm sure if you
kept a house a 70F year round, it would eliminate a lot of these
problems. But if it sees temp swings from 50F to 85F, I think
that can certainly contribute to cracks. Just becaus you have
something taped, doesn't mean that it can't crack again. It
depends on the forces involved. Even taped, it can't withstand
much lateral movement.

I was aware of the idea of using caulk and was thinking of
doing that. But a spray on product sounds like an even better
idea. Since making the post, I see Goof makes a product like
that designed for cracks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 10, 2014 10:45:27 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:

On Friday, January 10, 2014 1:56:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:

You have likely seen the tv commercial for Flexseal. It sells for

$19.99 per can, but the commercial says you get a FREE can, (plus

separate shipping and handling). I checked into this on their website.

The S&H is $9.99 per can. Thus, those two cans cost you about $40.

Walmart sells it. $12.99 per can. Thus you'll pay about $26 for two

cans, and save $14 (not to mention the wait time). [Ok, there will

probably be sales tax, but no where near $14].

So much for their "FREE" can.

You can actually get about 3 cans at Walmart for the same price as the

"order by mail", and that allows for the sales tax.

*WHAT A SCAM*

Anyone try this stuff for those small cracks in certain drywall

locations that keep reappearing, ie spraying it with that, then

painting over it?

HMmm,

So I gather you got scammed? I never anything shown on TV like that.

Good things sell themselves, no ad. needed.

I guess either you don't have infomercials up there in CA or
else you never watch TV in the 2pm - 5pm time period. There is
one product after another like that on the air here. Even during
regular hours, it's not unusual to see some similar thing. I
just saw an ad for a "burger stuffer", for example, during regular
programming. And a very high percentage of them do what was done
with the flex-seal stuff, ie for the incredible price of $19.99,
you don't get just one, you get TWO. All you have to do is pay
for the additional "handling and shipping charges" for the second
"free" one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think there is a missing word between 'never' and 'anything' in Tony's
response. It could be 'buy' or 'see' You apparently think 'see'. I
thought 'buy'.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:45:27 -0700, Tony Hwang

[...]

And in a month or so it will be available at your local surplus
emporium for about half the advertized price, and no shipping. And
you can see the product up close before putting your money down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

If you don't want to actually *fix* it by re-taping,
use acrylic caulk...rub

in with finger, paint when dry.

Retaping it doesn't always work and it's a lot more work.
In a house there is always going to be some amount of
movement, especially over temp and humidity variations.
I'm sure if you kept a house a 70F year round, it would
eliminate a lot of these problems. But if it sees temp
swings from 50F to 85F, I think that can certainly
contribute to cracks.

I suppose t could but IME it doesn't. If it was a major factor, most of the
houses in the US (Canada too) would have lots of cracks.
___________________

Just becaus you have something
taped, doesn't mean that it can't crack again. It depends
on the forces involved. Even taped, it can't withstand
much lateral movement.

True. But the DW itself isn't moving. Oh, OK, if a sinkhole opens up under
your house the DW is going to move
_______________________

I was aware of the idea of using caulk and was thinking of
doing that. But a spray on product sounds like an even
better idea. Since making the post, I see Goof makes a
product like that designed for cracks.

I'd still use caulk, easy to put just where you want it; not so with spray.
___________________

I don't have vast experience with drywalled walls. Many of the places I
lived pre-dated drywall. The major ones that had/have it were my offices
and condo. Both used steel studs, neither ever had a DW crack during the 17
years I occupied them.

The last is my current house; I contracted it and have lived in it for 18
years. There has never been a crack in either a long or butt seam save
three on narrow (12" or less) pieces. Those three had been poorly
taped/fastened.

The one place I had a bigger problem was on a couple of corners. The metal
corner beads are nailed/screwed to the face of the studs as opposed to the
edges for long/butt seams; wider surface = more movement. A couple of them
developed hairline cracks where the corner metal laps the DW. Makers of
paper faced metal beads attribute that to the metal bead moving slightly
with the stud. So why didn't long/butt seams crack? Two reasons I can
think of...

1. As stated previously, the corner bead cracks were where the bead was
attached to the FACE of the stud and the face is wider, therefore move more.

2. IMO, the primary reason is that although the long/butt seams are
attached to the edge of the studs the tape is attached ONLY to the DW which
means that any expansion/contraction of the stud would affect only the DW
itself AND that effect would be evidenced by slight enlargement of the
nail/screw holes in the DW and/or the wood.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 10, 2014 1:59:05 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

If you don't want to actually *fix* it by re-taping,

use acrylic caulk...rub

in with finger, paint when dry.

Retaping it doesn't always work and it's a lot more work.

In a house there is always going to be some amount of

movement, especially over temp and humidity variations.

I'm sure if you kept a house a 70F year round, it would

eliminate a lot of these problems. But if it sees temp

swings from 50F to 85F, I think that can certainly

contribute to cracks.

I suppose t could but IME it doesn't. If it was a major factor, most of the

houses in the US (Canada too) would have lots of cracks.

___________________

Don't they? Every house I've ever lived in had some drywall cracks
somewhere.

Just becaus you have something

taped, doesn't mean that it can't crack again. It depends

on the forces involved. Even taped, it can't withstand

much lateral movement.

True. But the DW itself isn't moving.

Why not? All materials expand/contract with temp, humidity,
etc. There is bound to be some movement. If you measured a piece
of wood, drywall etc, do you think the dimensions are going to
be exactly the same across all temps and humidity? Even a simple
wood door can swell up when it's very humid so that it won't close
properly.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 23:44:48 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Save $26 by not buying the scam junk all together.

Buy Hello Kitty products.

http://news.3yen.com/wp-content/images/hello-kitty-duct-tape.jpeg
--
"There's nothing like the scent of Cordite in a woman's hair."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Word 2 da wize: If it seems too good to be true, It's probably "$19.95"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You have likely seen the tv commercial for Flexseal. It sells for
$19.99 per can, but the commercial says you get a FREE can, (plus
separate shipping and handling). I checked into this on their website.
The S&H is $9.99 per can. Thus, those two cans cost you about $40.

Walmart sells it. $12.99 per can. Thus you'll pay about $26 for two
cans, and save $14 (not to mention the wait time). [Ok, there will
probably be sales tax, but no where near $14].

So much for their "FREE" can.
You can actually get about 3 cans at Walmart for the same price as the
"order by mail", and that allows for the sales tax.

*WHAT A SCAM*

It's not a scam. Well, the claims about the product usefulness might be a
scam, but the pricing and the free can offer are not.

scam: to swindle (someone) by means of a trick, a fraudulent scheme

Where's the trick or fraudulent scheme?

They are selling a product at a known price: $19.99. They are charging the
consumer a known price for S&H: $9.99. If you accept their offer of a "free
can" and pay the S&H cost for that can, you aren't getting scammed because
you know exactly what you are getting and what you are paying for. 1 can
for $19.99, 1 can for $0.00, and 2 sets of S&H for $9.99 each.

Just because you can get the product much cheaper someplace else and not
pay any S&H doesn't make the TV offer a scam. You know what you are paying
for upfront. There are no hidden fees, on-going charges or anything
fraudulent going on.

No swindle, no fraudulent scheme - at least not from a pricing perspective.
Now, whether the product itself is a complete rip-off or not is a totally
different discussion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:45:27 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

HMmm,
So I gather you got scammed? I never anything shown on TV like that.
Good things sell themselves, no ad. needed.

NO. I have never bought any of those "As Seen on Tv Items". But I
noticed it at Walmart and wanted to see what it would actually cost for
the mailed tv stuff.

Senior Member

I agree with DerbyDad that the FlexSeal Infomercial deal really isn't a scam.

Whomever is selling this FlexSeal stuff is going to market it in every way they can.

If I was in that guy's shoes, I'd try to sell it on TV infomercials. But, I also try to convince Wal-Mart and Target to stock it in their stores, too. He's obviously going to offer the FlexSeal to Wal-Mart at a lower price because Wal-Mart will sell a lot more FlexSeal for him than he can by himself.

It's up to us as consumers to decide what to buy and where to buy it from. Lots of stores carry products advertised on TV infomercials.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Where's the trick or fraudulent scheme?

I agree scam is a little too strong a word but I've looked at quite a few of
those TV ads and I have NEVER seen them list the actual cost of the
*additional* postage and handling on the screen. They are hoping, quite
fervently I assume, that you find out about the $10+ shipping charge only
when you get the bill. I think they have to tell you the total charge
before you approve it, but that's an assumption.

I've never felt compelled to find out what "just pay separate postage and
handling fees" actually are - when I see "just pay separate P&H" I simply
assume it's going to be so steep it negates the true concept of "buy two,
get one for free." If the items arrive in the same box, are you really
paying "separate" postage and handling or just getting gouged?

I'd say that a failure to list the actual cost on the solicitation to buy is
just a wee bit deceptive. Most people would assume that adding a second
(usually) lightweight item to a box that they're already paying shipping for
won't be two or three times (or more) the actual shipping cost.

How much handling could there realistically be in putting two items in one
box instead of one? Same shipping label for each, probably even the same
size box. Paying wildly over-inflated shipping costs stretches my
definition of "free" but of course, YMMV.

I will agree that it's just mildly deceptive sales practice and not really a
scam when compared to the "legitimate" scams going on out there. (-:

http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/a...er-frauds-2012

(Not sure how this will display - looks great on my screen but I am almost
sure my news server will reformat it into an unreadable mess.)
The following is the 2012 list of the top ten consumer complaints by
category:

CATEGORY NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS

1. Internet
(privacy issues; spyware;consumer frauds) 4,096

2. Credit
(debt collection; credit card billing; debt settlement) 3,167

3. Automobile
(buying; leasing; repair; service contracts; rentals) 2,950

4. Consumer-Related Services
(security systems; restaurant/catering services; tech repairs; dating
services) 2,070

5. Landlord / Tenant
(deposit releases; tenant-harassment) 1,808

6. Mortgage
(mortgage modifications; mortgage and loan broker fraud; foreclosures)
1,511

7. Home Repair / Construction
(home improvement services not delivered or done poorly) 1,125

8. Retail Sales
(any sale of goods: food; clothing; rent to own; wholesale clubs)
974

9. Mail Order
(purchases made online or from a catalog) 868

10. Telecommunications
(phone cards; cellular services; pay-per-call; slamming; cramming)
805

Anyone remember the X-ray glasses they used to sell, along with 100 toy
soldiers (the size of fingernail clippings) or "seamonkeys" in ads in the
back of magazines? Those were the days of *real* scams!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dadiOH , Arizona Bill wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

wrote in message

I suppose t could but IME it doesn't. If it was a major factor, most of

the

houses in the US (Canada too) would have lots of cracks.

Hey Folks. I have build homes for 40 years. If having DW crack problems,
caulk casing, base, all inside corners, crown molding and significant
cracks with a 35-50 year acrylic/silicone, paintable caulking. Use a good
quality elastomeric roof coating as interior paint colored to your
preference... I use it on exterior stucco also and it is flexible enough
to bridge underlying 'minor' cracking. After several years of exposure,
you can still eat off it. End of story!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:m531d9lqu0c7s93at2mhtfusv637771338@
4ax.com:

wrote:

Save $26 by not buying the scam junk all together.

Buy Hello Kitty products.

http://news.3yen.com/wp-content/images/hello-kitty-duct-tape.jpeg

Yet another Internet scam trying to get my denaros! DucKKKKKKKK tape is for
quacks.

Has anyone tried Flexseal®? [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 21st 19 12:40 AM
MAKE THOUSANDS FAST!!! NOT A SCAM, I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A SCAM Rico Home Ownership 0 September 3rd 10 12:36 AM
New scam? Jack Home Repair 9 April 19th 10 02:45 AM
New scam? Jack Home Repair 2 April 18th 10 05:35 PM
New scam? Jack Home Repair 17 April 16th 10 11:24 PM