Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting contractor

Long time lurker here, great group BTW. I need to hire someone to stain my
place, and the economy must be good, or maybe what I have in mind doesn't
appeal to painters.

I bought stain last year because I got a good deal on some BM stain.
They're changing formula's for a lower VOC. Anyways got the $56 a gallon
stain for $14 per, so I told them mix up all they had. So here I sit on 13
gallons of it for my place.

Got my knee injured, and wife decided I'm too old to be climbing ladders
anyways, so I sold my 32 ft wood ladder, but still have my 28 footer.

So, in my attempt to contact painting contractors, none of them want my
business when I tell them I will supply the stain. I'm willing to sign off
on the material that they wouldn't be held responsible etc, but they're not
interested at all.

Since I want anywhere that needs caulking, re-caulked (shouldn't be a big
deal, I did the house 15 years ago), and this stain applied (I have
brushes, paint pails, hooks, etc) since I've did that too. Would you trust
a handyman or? Exactly what "got cha's" do I need to watch out for?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 8, 2013 4:40:40 PM UTC-4, Spunky Weaver wrote:
[...]

I would keep calling other painters. There has to be painters
that will use your paint. I recently went out for some quotes and
found painters to be a bit quirky too. Not too astute at business
practices, getting back to you with quotes, listening to what you
want to do, etc.

I think one aspect of them supplying the paint is that it's
an easy way for them to cheat a homeowner and plenty of them
probably do. The typical homeowner probably isn't going to
demand to see the empty pails of paint. They wouldn't know if
the used 10 gallons or 15. An extra 5 gallons is $200 extra
in their pocket. If I were a painter, I would not want to use
some crap paint, but what you have is BM, which any respectable
painter should be willing to use. Did you ask them what the
problem is with you supplying the paint?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Spunky Weaver belched:
[...]

Since you know what you want done and how you would like it done, why not be
your own contractor/supervisor and hire some local kids(first choice) or the
day labor center?
Watch them and show them what you want and how to do it and you teach them
something and they get some cash in their pockets. WIN -WIN
The hard part will be find the kids that would be interested? Neighborhood
newsletter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Spunky Weaver" wrote in message
[...]

Just made a deal to have the house painted. Price was just for labor and I
pay for all materials. He gives me the slip showing what was purchased and
I pay him as needed. I'm probably in the 8-10 Gal range.
I also got an estimate from a Handyman--problem there was that he worked
alone and he estimated about 2-3 wks to paint the house ( includes power
wash, sand, scrape, reglazing windows etc). His quote was very close to the
contractor's
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2013 3:31 PM, ChairMan wrote:
In ,
Spunky Weaver belched:
[...]

how much would it cost if one of those kids fell off a 28' ladder?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ChairMan wrote:
In ,
Spunky Weaver belched:
[...]

If you go the kid way, call your insurance agent and buy worker's
compensation insurance before you hire them!

You may find the cost of the premiums will make that way unattractive
compared to hiring a pro WITH insurance you've checked before he starts
the job.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/08/2013 05:31 PM, ChairMan wrote:

[snip]

Since you know what you want done and how you would like it done, why not be
your own contractor/supervisor and hire some local kids(first choice) or the
day labor center?

I remember something on TV where an electrician used a trained rat to
pull wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:27:24 PM UTC-4, jeff_wisnia wrote:
ChairMan wrote:

In ,

Spunky Weaver belched:

[...]

And why would anyone think untrained, unskilled kids would be
capable of doing a decent paint job? How would they have the
skill to cut in around windows for example? Just one bucket of
paint spilled on the porch, sidewalk, house, whatever would be
a disaster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 16:01:57 -0500, sam E
wrote:

On 07/08/2013 05:31 PM, ChairMan wrote:

[snip]

Since you know what you want done and how you would like it done, why not be
your own contractor/supervisor and hire some local kids(first choice) or the
day labor center?

I remember something on TV where an electrician used a trained rat to
pull wires.

That was a hardy boys book IIRC - I've used a remote control
bugy" to pull wires over high suspended ceilings. - Had to pull from a
mezanine in a pharmacy to the POS terminal which was at a post in the
center of the store. There was a hole at the post . The ceiling was
over 22 feet high - I think closer to 30. I ran the buggy over the
ceiling in reverse (big wheels first) pulling a string - which kept
the buggy from crashing to the floor when it went through the hole at
the post about 75 feet away - and then pulled the cable up with the
string. About a 20 minute job with no ladder and no disruption of the
stoor below.