Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chair goes too far back

I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the
slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.

"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to
work with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 11:20:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the
slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.

"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to
work with.

Like some things here, we need a make and model number:-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the
slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.

"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to
work with.

Like some things here, we need a make and model number:-\

It is just a generic chair for an outside table. When you lean back it
keeps going over. I can't find either.
This is what it looks like. The ones with the round bases.
http://www.doitbest.com/Patio+sets-D...doitbest-sku-8
00281.dib
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2013 11:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 4, 12:54 pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the
slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.

"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to
work with.

My guess is that it is a reclining chair, which is now reclining too
far, to the point that it is wanting to tip backwards. In such a
scenario, one would first have to ascertain the specific reclining
mechanism (like a spring lever), then find out why it's behavior is
different now than it was before (ie, what broke).

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 17:34:45 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

It is just a generic chair for an outside table. When you lean back it
keeps going over. I can't find either.
This is what it looks like. The ones with the round bases.

Link fixed:

http://www.doitbest.com/Patio+sets-Do+it+Best-model-A-7A06-doitbest-sku-800281.dib

Check under the seat. Ensure the seat is fastened to the swivel base.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We need photos. Too many different types of chairs.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message m...
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never worked on one of those. Wish I could offer more.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message m...

It is just a generic chair for an outside table. When you lean back it
keeps going over. I can't find either.
This is what it looks like. The ones with the round bases.
http://www.doitbest.com/Patio+sets-D...sku-800281.dib

the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It is just a generic chair for an outside table. When you lean back it
keeps going over. I can't find either.
This is what it looks like. The ones with the round bases.

Link fixed:

http://www.doitbest.com/Patio+sets-Do+it+Best-model-A-7A06-doitbest-s...

Check under the seat. Ensure the seat is fastened to the swivel base.

Do you have an identical but non-tipping chair?? Compare the mounting
differences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In m,
Kurt Ullman belched:

wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:54 pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of
sudden decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any
suggestions on how to either fix it or McGyver something so it
won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the
slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.

"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to
work with.

Like some things here, we need a make and model number:-\

It is just a generic chair for an outside table. When you lean back it
keeps going over. I can't find either.
This is what it looks like. The ones with the round bases.
http://www.doitbest.com/Patio+sets-D...doitbest-sku-8
00281.dib

I assume it's a swivel base?
If so, the only thing I can think of is the base(post) on the chair is
improperly mounted.
Try removing it and turning it around, it should change the center of the
chair and eliminate the tipping.
If not, get new chairsg

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jon Danniken wrote:

[...]

Nothing obvious... even comparing it with the one that is still good.
That was one of the reasons I asked for suggestions as to what to look
for.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 12:54:10 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Move it to the deck rail. Tie it to it if needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the
slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.

"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to
work with.

Like some things here, we need a make and model number:-\

Come on Oren, it's just like 1000 other chairs. You can't tell him
how to fix it g .

I agree, a picture or make/model number always helps for starters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 20:04:54 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

I assume it's a swivel base?

Seems so to me.

If so, the only thing I can think of is the base(post) on the chair is
improperly mounted.

Yes

Try removing it and turning it around, it should change the center of the
chair and eliminate the tipping.

Count the fasteners. If you get an odd number, add one and divide by
two.

If not, get new chairsg

.... or keep counting
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Some of the new chairs use two rectangular blocks of metal instead of
more traditional springs. They are like a single layer leaf spring.
If one of the two is broken or has become disconnected, it might not
be obvious when looking at it without someone sitting in it try to
lean back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the
slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.

"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to
work with.

Like some things here, we need a make and model number:-\

Come on Oren, it's just like 1000 other chairs. You can't tell him
how to fix it g .

I agree, a picture or make/model number always helps for starters.

I have some pics, should have them up on flickr by tomorrow. I'll post
the URLs then.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 08:02:21 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the
slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.

"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to
work with.

Like some things here, we need a make and model number:-\

Come on Oren, it's just like 1000 other chairs. You can't tell him
how to fix it g .

I agree, a picture or make/model number always helps for starters.

I have some pics, should have them up on flickr by tomorrow. I'll post
the URLs then.

Kurt, I didn't mean to sound like I was getting on your case. I meant
it in a generic sense and I know sometimes we all forget.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Doug" wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 08:02:21 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I just took it as a suggestion of how I could get better advice. Nothing
more. After 15 years as a Psych RN, I am hard to upset anyway. As I
mention to people quite often it is hard to get my riled up since I am
used to having been insulted by pros (grin).
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 8:53*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

*"Doug" wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 08:02:21 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Kurt-

I stayed out of the thread until some of the details were sorted out.

I've sat in these (similar) chairs at someone's house.. they fun &
comfortable
but I found them to be border line for me wrt to balance.
I've had them "spook" me a couple times by giving me the feeling they
were going over backwards.

I always felt that the circular bases were just a bit too small.

But if you've got some chairs that "work" & one that doesn't,
I'm a bit stumped ... maybe just variation in spring force?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Connect the chair to a 240 volt outlet, with a nearby switch. Then
invite someone you hate to come over for cocktails. Sit them in that
chair, and you can figure out the rest......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

I had an office chair I landed on my ass a few times.

Duct tape it.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 10:53*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

*"Doug" wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 08:02:21 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe- Hide quoted text -

Are you going to post pix of the bad chair as well as pix of a good
chair (the actual mechanism, that is, not the catalog/poster pictures
you originally posted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 19:22:35 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Are you going to post pix of the bad chair as well as pix of a good
chair (the actual mechanism, that is, not the catalog/poster pictures
you originally posted?

tap, tap, tap, tap.

Standing by.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Are you going to post pix of the bad chair as well as pix of a good
chair (the actual mechanism, that is, not the catalog/poster pictures
you originally posted?

tap, tap, tap, tap.

Standing by.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

It's a generic chair, so any generic fix should work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Are you going to post pix of the bad chair as well as pix of a good
chair (the actual mechanism, that is, not the catalog/poster pictures
you originally posted?

tap, tap, tap, tap.

Standing by.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

It's a generic chair, so any generic fix should work.

Name one

Can't...he needs the generic fix that is specific to his generic chair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you going to post pix of the bad chair as well as pix of a good
chair (the actual mechanism, that is, not the catalog/poster pictures
you originally posted?

tap, tap, tap, tap.

Standing by.

Sorry. Client problems have surfaced. It may be this weekend before I
have the time. I'll post when I get them up.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2013 8:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 6/5/2013 8:47 PM, gregz wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden
decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on
how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

I had an office chair I landed on my ass a few times.

Duct tape it.

Greg

His ass?

What's a donkey got to do with it? ^_^