Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Enclosing AC unit/condenser

Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed
within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for
aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My
plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is
lattice sufficient enough for airflow?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 4:54*pm, Meanie wrote:
Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed
within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for
aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My
plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is
lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

Why didn't you ask the installers? I would say it depends on
how close and what kind of lattice. The air needs to get in from
the sides and exit from the top. Anything that impedes that or
that results in the hot air wrapping around and coming back in,
is going to impede that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2013 3:54 PM, Meanie wrote:
Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed
within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for
aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My
plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is
lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

If you could post a picture, I could make some recommendations. If
you're around deciduous trees, any kind of lattice or screen catches
leaves on the outside and even the inside. You may not see debris
blocking the condensing unit if it's out of sight. When I was servicing
residential HVAC systems, I recommended cleaning a straight AC at least
once a year and a heat pump at least twice a tear. If the condenser is
blowing straight up, you really don't want anything blocking it at all.
Around the sides it's not so critical. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd call and talk with the installers. Failing that, any service company should be able to check superheat and subcooling before and after lattice installed, and the unit running. See if the lattice is interfering with performance.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Meanie" wrote in message ...
Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed
within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for
aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My
plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is
lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 16:54:42 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed
within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for
aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My
plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is
lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

If enclosed on two sides while the rest is open is no problem. If the
lattice is fairly open and a little distance away, still no problem.
Be sure the leaving air is free to go too. If you restrict the fan
you are adding load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed
within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for
aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My
plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is
lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

If enclosed on two sides while the rest is open is no problem. *If the
lattice is fairly open and a little distance away, still no problem.
Be sure the leaving air is free to go too. *If you restrict the fan
you are adding load.

Ditto - Everything already said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed
within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for
aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My
plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is
lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

If enclosed on two sides while the rest is open is no problem. *If the
lattice is fairly open and a little distance away, still no problem.
Be sure the leaving air is free to go too. *If you restrict the fan
you are adding load.

Ditto - *Everything already said.

I'm not so sure about the enclosed on two sides part. I would think
if
you put a lattice that isn't the most open type right up against two
sides
of the unit, you could still substantially reduce the airflow on those
two
sides. Air has to get through there somehow and blocking off 1/2
of it could have an impact, I would think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 8:54*am, "
wrote:
On Jun 9, 10:51*pm, "

wrote:

[...]

blocking any airflow will make the system less efficent, and may
shorten its life......

since OP got a new unit why didnt they have the compressor relocated?

with the skyrocketing cost of electric using more isnt a good idea at
least for your wallet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 10, 2013 9:07:23 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 10, 8:54*am, "

wrote:

On Jun 9, 10:51*pm, "

wrote:

[...]

I'd have found another location myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 05:54:51 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm not so sure about the enclosed on two sides part. I would think
if
you put a lattice that isn't the most open type right up against two
sides
of the unit, you could still substantially reduce the airflow on those
two
sides. Air has to get through there somehow and blocking off 1/2
of it could have an impact, I would think.

The enclosed on two sides assumes there will be some clearance. You
only need a couple of inches to get air flow to the fins. There was
no mention of attaching to the condenser, just putting a visual
shield.
Posted to alt.home.repair

First, thanks for the inputs.

Second, I enclosed a photo for those interested. You can view here
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ad...art/BA-7000-00

The installation partook last August and at that time, I didn't think
about enclosing it. The installers and myself were discussing several
location options and they thought it best where it is. I had to cut away
the section of my deck in order to fit it there. I did not want it on
top of deck for obvious reasons.

The square opening is roughly 46" on each side. You'll see the 4x4 posts
which I already installed. The objective is to install the lattice and
framing to the posts. At this time, I am now thinking of louvers instead
of lattice. Whichever way I go, it'll be encased in a frame and most
likely have eye-bolts to rest on L-hooks on the post, two per side, high
and low for easy removal. I also plan to make a removable screen to rest
on top during the fall and early spring when the Maple seeds drop, since
many end up in the unit.

The framed enclosure (whichever I use), is roughly 6" from the unit. As
you can also see, one side is facing the house, roughly one foot.

Viewing the picture is also facing south. We get a good wind coming from
the west (right of picture) often.

I'm contemplating louvers since I believe it'll allow more airflow.

Anything I left out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oops.....wrong link

Correct link http://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/9010876967/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 7:45*pm, Meanie wrote:
Oops.....wrong link

Correct link http://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/9010876967/

That looks a whole lot more relevant to the topicg.

Anything around the sides is going to make it a lot easier for the air
exhausting the top to get pulled back into the sides unless there is
some sort of additional barricade between the top and the sides, like
a big flat plate with a hole in the middle for the exhaust air, and
extending horizontally to the tops of the side panels.and the building.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:45 pm, Meanie wrote:
Oops.....wrong link

Correct link http://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/9010876967/

That looks a whole lot more relevant to the topicg.

Anything around the sides is going to make it a lot easier for the air
exhausting the top to get pulled back into the sides unless there is
some sort of additional barricade between the top and the sides, like
a big flat plate with a hole in the middle for the exhaust air, and
extending horizontally to the tops of the side panels.and the building.

I don't see that being the case to any large degree. I think the upward
flow sucks air horizontally.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:36:50 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

First, thanks for the inputs.

The square opening is roughly 46" on each side. You'll see the 4x4 posts
which I already installed. The objective is to install the lattice and
framing to the posts. At this time, I am now thinking of louvers instead
of lattice. Whichever way I go, it'll be encased in a frame and most
likely have eye-bolts to rest on L-hooks on the post, two per side, high
and low for easy removal. I also plan to make a removable screen to rest
on top during the fall and early spring when the Maple seeds drop, since
many end up in the unit.

Louvers would be good. I'd make a frame of 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 and set the
louvers inside of it. As you state, mounted for easy removal when
required. You can get fairly large spacing and plenty of air flow.
Done right, there would be minimal restriction.

I'd also keep the back and right side open if not very visible when
enjoying the outdoors. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2013 7:45 PM, Meanie wrote:
Oops.....wrong link

Correct link http://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/9010876967/

That looks like an American Standard unit but heck some of the less
expensive units have started to copy the look now. A lattice with the
3-4" inch square openings is what I have on my back porch and the same
type would work fine around your AC condenser as long as you don't put
anything over the top. The picture helped a lot and I think you'll do
just fine. You are in luck to have the condenser with the type louvers
protecting the coils from any damage. The only problem is you have to
inspect it closely so you can see any dirt or dust build up clogging
the fins. Of course, if you decide to spray it with a water hose, don't
use a high pressure stream because you can bend the thin aluminum fins
covered by the louvered cover, always use a gentle fan spray. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not so sure about the enclosed on two sides part. *I would think
if
you put a lattice that isn't the most open type right up against two
sides
of the unit, you could still substantially reduce the airflow on those
two
sides. *Air has to get through there somehow and blocking off 1/2
of it could have an impact, I would think.

The enclosed on two sides assumes there will be some clearance. *You
only need a couple of inches to get air flow to the fins. *There was
no mention of attaching to the condenser, just putting a visual
shield.

I'm not convinced you get the same airflow with a lattice 2" away
from the side of a condenser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 8:43*pm, gregz wrote:
" wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:45 pm, Meanie wrote:
Oops.....wrong link

Correct link http://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/9010876967/

That looks a whole lot more relevant to the topicg.

Anything around the sides is going to make it a lot easier for the air
exhausting the top to get pulled back into the sides unless there is
some sort of additional barricade between the top and the sides, like
a big flat plate with a hole in the middle for the exhaust air, and
extending horizontally to the tops of the side panels.and the building.

I don't see that being the case to any large degree. I think the upward
flow sucks air horizontally.

Greg

I hope you're right, for the OP's sake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2013 8:56 AM, wrote:
On Jun 10, 8:43 pm, wrote:
"hrhofm...@sbcglobal. net wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:45 pm, wrote:
Oops.....wrong link

Correct link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/9010876967/

That looks a whole lot more relevant to the topicg.

Anything around the sides is going to make it a lot easier for the air
exhausting the top to get pulled back into the sides unless there is
some sort of additional barricade between the top and the sides, like
a big flat plate with a hole in the middle for the exhaust air, and
extending horizontally to the tops of the side panels.and the building.

I don't see that being the case to any large degree. I think the upward
flow sucks air horizontally.

Greg

I hope you're right, for the OP's sake.

It's not rocket science.
Put a thermometer on top in the exit path.
Obscure the sides to various degrees. Cardboard works.
If the temperature goes up, it costs you money.
Just decide how much more you want to spend and obscure it that much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 12:10*pm, mike wrote:
On 6/11/2013 8:56 AM, wrote:

On Jun 10, 8:43 pm, *wrote:
"hrhofm...@sbcglobal. net *wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:45 pm, *wrote:
Oops.....wrong link

Correct linkhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/9010876967/

That looks a whole lot more relevant to the topicg.

Anything around the sides is going to make it a lot easier for the air
exhausting the top to get pulled back into the sides unless there is
some sort of additional barricade between the top and the sides, like
a big flat plate with a hole in the middle for the exhaust air, and
extending horizontally to the tops of the side panels.and the building.

I don't see that being the case to any large degree. I think the upward
flow sucks air horizontally.

Greg

I hope you're right, for the OP's sake.

It's not rocket science.
Put a thermometer on top in the exit path.
Obscure the sides to various degrees. *Cardboard works.
If the temperature goes up, it costs you money.
Just decide how much more you want to spend and obscure it that much.- Hide quoted text -

Ahhh, the analtyical approach. I think the method is
valid, as long as all else remains constant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:38:49 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

The only problem is you have to
inspect it closely so you can see any dirt or dust build up clogging
the fins. Of course, if you decide to spray it with a water hose, don't
use a high pressure stream because you can bend the thin aluminum fins
covered by the louvered cover, always use a gentle fan spray. ^_^

They sell a product for cleaning the fins. Spray it on, allow a few
minutes, then rinse with a hose.

Does that stuff really work? A guy said to me the spray foams up and
pushes dirt and cooties out when rinsed.

Yeah / Nay

I use just a hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2013 10:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

many end up in the unit.

Louvers would be good. I'd make a frame of 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 and set the
louvers inside of it. As you state, mounted for easy removal when
required. You can get fairly large spacing and plenty of air flow.
Done right, there would be minimal restriction.

I'd also keep the back and right side open if not very visible when
enjoying the outdoors. .

1 x 4 would be perfect considering the 4 x 4 posts.

After posting the photo and providing the info yesterday, I was thinking
along the same lines. Since it really won't be seen, other than the
neighbors and when doing garden work, I agree finishing two sides is the
best solution.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 05:10:23 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The enclosed on two sides assumes there will be some clearance. *You
only need a couple of inches to get air flow to the fins. *There was
no mention of attaching to the condenser, just putting a visual
shield.

I'm not convinced you get the same airflow with a lattice 2" away
from the side of a condenser.

Do the math. Hint: #1 the fins take up space, same as lattice does.
To be accurate, you have to know the fin spacing and thickness of the
material.
#2 if it is not enclosed on alls ides, you will still be sucking air
in from the open sides.

FWIW, I worked for a company that made such coils for 7 years and have
a bit of experience with them. Biggest coils we made were 20' long x
4' high, smallest was 6" x 6".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The only problem is you have to
inspect it closely so you can see any dirt or dust build up clogging
the fins. Of course, if you decide to spray it with a water hose, don't
use a high pressure stream because you can bend the thin aluminum fins
covered by the louvered cover, always use a gentle fan spray. ^_^

They sell a product for cleaning the fins. Spray it on, allow a few
minutes, then rinse with a hose.

Does that stuff really work? A guy said to me the spray foams up and
pushes dirt and cooties out when rinsed.

Yeah / Nay

I use just a hose.

It works. It gets a lot of crud the hose will not.

#2 if it is not enclosed on alls ides, you will still be sucking air
in from the open sides.

If the coils aren't needed and used on all 4 sides, then why spend the
money putting coils on all 4 sides?

FWIW, I worked for a company that made such coils for 7 years and have
a bit of experience with them. *Biggest coils we made were 20' long x
4' high, smallest was 6" x 6".

Why not just make it 10' long then?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not so sure about the enclosed on two sides part. I would think
if
you put a lattice that isn't the most open type right up against two
sides
of the unit, you could still substantially reduce the airflow on those
two
sides. Air has to get through there somehow and blocking off 1/2
of it could have an impact, I would think.

The enclosed on two sides assumes there will be some clearance. You
only need a couple of inches to get air flow to the fins. There was
no mention of attaching to the condenser, just putting a visual
shield.

I'm not convinced you get the same airflow with a lattice 2" away
from the side of a condenser.

Anything will restrict to some degree, but look how little the openings are
on main unit.

Greg

#2 if it is not enclosed on all sides, you will still be sucking air
in from the open sides.

If the coils aren't needed and used on all 4 sides, then why spend the
money putting coils on all 4 sides?

I never said they were not needed. How did you interpret that?

It is going to suck air all over. On the sides with the lattice, the
ends are open where there is no lattice. Air moves around as needed.
It can get sucked around the corner and across the coils. There will
be sufficient air flow to cool properly.

He is probably going with louvers. Same situation. There is plenty
of open space to draw the needed air. The louvers can be made of 1/4"
material to further reduce restrictions.

As long as the openings around the coils equal the opens space of the
coil, there is no restriction or loss of air flow. Look where the
posts are located. Between the post and the unit there is plenty of
space to draw air even if the two panels were solid. As I said, do
the math. The fins and tubing take up quite a bit of space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The only problem is you have to
inspect it closely so you can see any dirt or dust build up clogging
the fins. Of course, if you decide to spray it with a water hose, don't
use a high pressure stream because you can bend the thin aluminum fins
covered by the louvered cover, always use a gentle fan spray. ^_^

They sell a product for cleaning the fins. Spray it on, allow a few
minutes, then rinse with a hose.

Does that stuff really work? A guy said to me the spray foams up and
pushes dirt and cooties out when rinsed.

Yeah / Nay

I use just a hose.

I clean them professionally, I have the special chemicals and foam gun
that fits a garden hose. Before I became very ill and before my pal GB
died, we were spending a lot of time on rooftops with our cleaning gear
and 100 foot hoses to apply the cleaning chemicals. There are two types
sold through supply houses, an acid and an alkaline formulation that
great care must be taken while using them. The acid cleaner can damage
the aluminum if used incorrectly or in too high a concentration. The
coils must be thoroughly rinsed after letting the foam do its job of
dissolving the dirt. It's only after a good cleaning can I get an
accurate indication of the correct refrigerant charge in the system. The
outdoor condensing coil is the most likely to get plugged by dirt but to
do it right, the evaporator coil must also be checked/cleaned since a
clogged evaporator will also throw the pressure readings off. A
homeowner can do a good job of cleaning the unit with the aerosol spray
sold at big box hardware stores but not as good as the pros can. It's
always a good idea to get a company you trust to come out and service
your AC/heat pump on a regular basis. Some, not all are crooks so ask
around. A few years ago, I repaired the sabotage to my friend's elderly
mother's AC done by one of the crooks. I had to testify as to what I
found and the crooked company settled with my friend's mother. An honest
AC tech won't mind showing you what any problem you have and won't mind
explaining what needs to be done. Just don't pester the service tech
while he/she/it is working. ^_^

TDD