Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Transmix utility mixer...

This is a stretch for sure but, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; was looking at
trying to rig up a mount for either the JD 4440 or little 955 utility
tractor (or perhaps even just make a fixed platform and and convert it
into essentially a stationary mixer since the cab on the 4440 is in the
way and there's not much of any way to mount the solid shaft to the rear
PTO to hold the weight and the little 955 isn't much more convenient it
appears, but I've not yet totally given it up)

Anyway, the Transmix was/is a 3-pt (or similar since IH had 2-pt at the
time) mixer that ran off the PTO using a center hub on the PTO and a
tire mounted on the rear of the drum as the driving mechanism. It was
on a tilting cradle that let you drive to a pour site and dump there.
We used it to pour all the bunks for the feedlots back then.

The point of the posting is while have all the pieces, it's been so long
since it used it I can't recall precisely how it assembled and if
anybody just out of the blue had access to manual or pictures on an IH
it would aid significantly in sorting it out. Can't believe in all the
manuals there are here(*) I can't find where Dad must have squirreled
this one away...

They were built by an outfit called Universal Pulleys Co. in Wichita,
KS. AFAICT they are no more and apparently haven't been for quite some
time.

Here's a link to one on a Ford 850; the one here has a different
mounting arrangement by enough that that picture is of minimal help on
the pieces-parts that I can't quite figure out orientation of as yet to
make it work. The cradle that the drum rolls on is similar but not the
remainder of the framework isn't at all similar. Part of difficulty is
I don't have/know distances and/or heights from the axles, etc., of the
560 so can't precisely locate a reference point to start from.

http://mmg.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Jim.UT/TransMix/mixer01lr.jpg.html

I'm sure eventually I can get it worked out but just took a break and
thought would ask -- if nothing else, others might find it an
interesting piece of gear...

(*) Like a like-new manual for 1920s Farmall and a Twin City Model 30 or

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/13 3:40 PM, dpb wrote:
This is a stretch for sure but, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; was looking at
trying to rig up a mount for either the JD 4440 or little 955 utility
tractor (or perhaps even just make a fixed platform and and convert it
into essentially a stationary mixer since the cab on the 4440 is in the
way and there's not much of any way to mount the solid shaft to the rear
PTO to hold the weight and the little 955 isn't much more convenient it
appears, but I've not yet totally given it up)

Snipped some.
You might have luck he http://tinyurl.com/22fhu8
or http://www.yesterdaystractors.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/13 3:40 PM, dpb wrote:
This is a stretch for sure but, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; was looking at
trying to rig up a mount for either the JD 4440 or little 955 utility
tractor (or perhaps even just make a fixed platform and and convert it
into essentially a stationary mixer since the cab on the 4440 is in the
way and there's not much of any way to mount the solid shaft to the rear
PTO to hold the weight and the little 955 isn't much more convenient it
appears, but I've not yet totally given it up)

There might be some help here also:
http://www.ntractorclub.com/forums/manuals/manuals.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/7rkhb

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/26/2013 8:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 5/25/13 3:40 PM, dpb wrote:
This is a stretch for sure but, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; was looking at
trying to rig up a mount for either the JD 4440 or little 955 utility
tractor (or perhaps even just make a fixed platform and and convert it
into essentially a stationary mixer since the cab on the 4440 is in the
way and there's not much of any way to mount the solid shaft to the rear
PTO to hold the weight and the little 955 isn't much more convenient it
appears, but I've not yet totally given it up)

There might be some help here also:
http://www.ntractorclub.com/forums/manuals/manuals.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/7rkhb

I had stumbled across another link to the same manual the owner of it
had posted in another forum but he's got an old Ford and the rigging
was/is enough different didn't really help w/ the pieces-parts I've got
to play with..._BUT_, at the above link there's also a sales brochure
that shows one mounted on a number of other tractors, one of which _is_
a Farmall 2-pt and I think by blowing it up large enough I have at least
a clue out what they did...

Thanks...I'll post back if it works out as I think from this.

We used this a ton back then, but that was 50+ yr ago and I've no
recollections of mounting details; only of tossing what seemed
innumerable scoops of sand/gravel into it...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Transmix utility mixer...revisited

On 5/25/2013 3:40 PM, dpb wrote:
This is a stretch for sure but, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; was looking at
trying to rig up a mount for either the JD 4440 or little 955 utility
tractor ...
...[big snip]...
The point of the posting is while have all the pieces, it's been so long
since it used it I can't recall precisely how it assembled and if
anybody just out of the blue had access to manual or pictures on an IH
it would aid significantly in sorting it out. ...
...[and another]...
I'm sure eventually I can get it worked out but just took a break and
thought would ask -- if nothing else, others might find it an
interesting piece of gear...

OK, I have from a couple of trial and error attempts and the picture
from the brochure a link to which Dean Hoffman posted, managed to get
the frame/cradle mounting fingered out and have pulled the PTO shaft
from the humongous casting that was mounted to the rear PTO cover plate
on the 560 but that is far too big in outside dimensions to fit into the
area around a PTO on any tractor since the '50s or very early '60s...so
the plan was/is to build another support structure to mount from the
drawbar hanger and whatever else can find that is convenient and planned
on bolting just some pillow blocks to it for the bearings/support.

Problem is, the rear end of the shaft is cut down for the bearing for
only a 3/4" width and can't find a 1" pillow block that isn't roughly
1-3/8" in thickness or so owing to the lock collar, etc. So, question
is, anybody got an idea for an inexpensive bearing mount to save having
to have the shaft turned? Any other idears accepted as well...

The outrigger end is 1-5/8" and has plenty of length to use a standard
pillow block; it's only this inboard end that needs help that I've not
got an answer for at the moment...

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dpb , fred wrote:
none wrote:

[...]

here is the manual
Found this at http://www.ntractorclub.com/

http://www.ntractorclub.com/manuals/implements/misc/Transmix%20Utility%20Mixer%20-%20Owner's%20Manual.pdf

Enjoy
If you see one of these for sale I am looking.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-749891-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/18/2013 9:53 PM, fred wrote:

here is the manual
Found this at http://www.ntractorclub.com/

Had found that; unfortunately the N mount is sufficiently different than
the Farmall 2-pt that didn't really help...as noted earlier, found a
sales brochure w/ pictures of various tractors one of which was similar
enough it helped...

Enjoy
If you see one of these for sale I am looking.

The one here is the only one I've ever seen and the manufacturer is out
of business and I'm unaware of anything currently available. Altho I
suppose somebody must make a 3-pt mounted mixer, I've not seen one.

I did get the drive shaft bearings reconfigured and a bracket made for
it to mount to the little 955 before getting sidetracked on more
pressing business; still have to adapt the carriage to mount it...

Anybody got an old 6.70x15 tire that'll hold air they want to donate for
the drive tire? I've had no luck so far in town finding anything in
15" that isn't too wide to go on the rim. Unfortunately, the rim is
welded to the drum so swapping to something more currently easy to find
isn't really an option...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/13 12:25 PM, dpb wrote:

Enjoy
If you see one of these for sale I am looking.

The one here is the only one I've ever seen and the manufacturer is out
of business and I'm unaware of anything currently available. Altho I
suppose somebody must make a 3-pt mounted mixer, I've not seen one.

I did get the drive shaft bearings reconfigured and a bracket made for
it to mount to the little 955 before getting sidetracked on more
pressing business; still have to adapt the carriage to mount it...

Anybody got an old 6.70x15 tire that'll hold air they want to donate for
the drive tire? I've had no luck so far in town finding anything in
15" that isn't too wide to go on the rim. Unfortunately, the rim is
welded to the drum so swapping to something more currently easy to find
isn't really an option...

There is a new three point mounted mixer for sale on Ebay. I
found a couple more doing a search. Prices ran from about $900 to
double that if I remember correctly.
Ebay has some of those tires also. $$$

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/23/2013 6:02 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/20/13 12:25 PM, dpb wrote:

Anybody got an old 6.70x15 tire that'll hold air they want to donate for
the drive tire? I've had no luck so far in town finding anything in
15" that isn't too wide to go on the rim. Unfortunately, the rim is
welded to the drum so swapping to something more currently easy to find
isn't really an option...

There is a new three point mounted mixer for sale on Ebay. I found a
couple more doing a search. Prices ran from about $900 to double that if
I remember correctly.
Ebay has some of those tires also. $$$

I figured somebody had to be making something; just hadn't looked.

I did do a little looking on tires but all one needs is a junker only
good enough to hold air...I haven't yet gone out to the salvage yard
here to see about pulling one off an old '55 Ford or the like...

Certainly there's no need for anything even resembling anything good
enough to put on an actual vehicle...I'm not sure; I've not tried it
either, it's possible the remnants of the one still on it might hold
altho it's pretty frayed and I figure will probably fail. Didn't think
ahead 40 yr ago and save a couple used tires off the school cars in the
shed--have many of various sizes/types (mostly larger truck and/or
implement or front tractor) but not one of these.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/20/13 12:25 PM, dpb wrote:

Anybody got an old 6.70x15 tire that'll hold air they want to donate for
the drive tire? ...

Ebay has some of those tires also. $$$

It would be roughly 175/85- or 185/85-15 in today's sizing -- anything
probably 205 or narrower w/ aspect ratio above 70, say, would likely be
just fine...

Just did another search--one or two used 205/70's at about $50 w/ free
shipping. That's about $35 too much for the application...

I'll do some serious looking when I finally have time to actually get
the carriage mounting done far enough to be able to actually get the
thing on the tractor...