Does it matter what kind of light bulb goes in a refrigerator?

Old May 15th 13, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does it matter what kind of light bulb goes in a refrigerator?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I think at least they could pack them
differently. I agree, it seems odd.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"micky" wrote in message

Wait a sec. Do t hey really
sell the same bulb for the fridge and
the stove? That seems wrong.

It's OK. The so-called "appliance bulbs" can be used for either stoves or
fridges. They have several features which makes them suitable for either.
- smaller bulb size
- high-temperature basing cement (or clamped base with no cement)
- more filament supports (to protect against shock or vibration like
slamming doors)
- longer-life filament (depends upon the manufacturer)
- coated bulb (depends upon manufacturer - protects against moisture and
minimizes pieces of glass if bulb should break).

Tomsic

Old May 15th 13, 04:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 10:25*am, "Tomsic" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I think at least they could pack them
differently. I agree, it seems odd.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.
."micky" wrote in message

Wait a sec. *Do t hey really
sell the same bulb for the fridge and
the stove? *That seems wrong.

It's OK. *The so-called "appliance bulbs" can be used for either stoves or
fridges. *They have several features which makes them suitable for either.
- smaller bulb size
- high-temperature basing cement (or clamped *base with no cement)
- more filament supports (to protect against shock or vibration like
slamming doors)
- longer-life filament (depends upon the manufacturer)
- coated bulb (depends upon manufacturer - protects against moisture and
minimizes pieces of glass if bulb should break).

Tomsic

Maybe he'd like it better if there were two bulbs, one
for frigde, one for oven and they cost 25% more....
Old May 15th 13, 05:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

."micky" wrote in message

Wait a sec. *Do t hey really
sell the same bulb for the fridge and
the stove? *That seems wrong.

It's OK. *The so-called "appliance bulbs" can be used for either stoves or
fridges. *They have several features which makes them suitable for either.
- smaller bulb size
- high-temperature basing cement (or clamped *base with no cement)
- more filament supports (to protect against shock or vibration like
slamming doors)
- longer-life filament (depends upon the manufacturer)
- coated bulb (depends upon manufacturer - protects against moisture and
minimizes pieces of glass if bulb should break).

Tomsic

Then this what the OP should buy. It's what I've always bought.
I think I've only replaced one bulb in 40 years in the fridge and
stove combined, so the cost of bulbs is insignificant, and the cost of
electricity is too.

Maybe he'd like it better if there were two bulbs, one
for frigde, one for oven and they cost 25% more....

If one could't be made that worked for both, sure, but Tomsic's
convinced me that they can and do.

Old May 15th 13, 05:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2013 03:21:38 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

The "appliance" light bulb in the frig has been out for about
a week ... and ... well ... umm ... er ... the wife got a bit
upset with me ... for ... working on other things instead ...

So she surreptitiously replaced the bulb with this:

Having never thought about it before, I've never seen that
kind of bulb in a refrigerator. Have you?

Does it matter?

I know it's great that your wife thinks it's your job to do the macho
things, but changing a light bulb? Really? Doesn't she go to the
grocery, at least once a week? They sell them there. They don't
weigh much. She should be able to lift one.
Old May 15th 13, 10:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2013 08:25:43 -0400, George wrote:

Its a misapplication. CFLs are easier to break and take longer
to start at cold temps.

Makes sense.
I'll pick up a bona-fide "appliance bulb" at the hardware store on my
next visit (which will be soon).

Old May 16th 13, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2013 21:11:17 +0000, Danny D wrote:

I'll pick up a bona-fide "appliance bulb" at the hardware store on my
next visit (which will be soon).

I picked up a $2 A15 bulb (40 watt frosted) at Ace Hardware today.
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/.../13045041.jpeg

They actually had cheaper A15 bulbs that were for 130 volts, which is an
odd voltage, but I opted for the 'standard' 120 volt size.

Thanks for the advice. It's my first 'appliance bulb' ever.

Old May 16th 13, 01:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2013 23:35:37 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Wed, 15 May 2013 21:11:17 +0000, Danny D wrote:

I'll pick up a bona-fide "appliance bulb" at the hardware store on my
next visit (which will be soon).

I picked up a $2 A15 bulb (40 watt frosted) at Ace Hardware today.
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/.../13045041.jpeg

They actually had cheaper A15 bulbs that were for 130 volts, which is an
odd voltage, but I opted for the 'standard' 120 volt size.

130V bulbs will be dimmer when operated on 120V but they'll last
almost forever, which is the whole point. They'd be good for a
'fridge but you really should buy a bulb designed for the purpose.

Thanks for the advice. It's my first 'appliance bulb' ever.

Old May 16th 13, 03:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2013 11:21 PM, Danny D. wrote:
The "appliance" light bulb in the frig has been out for about
a week ... and ... well ... umm ... er ... the wife got a bit
upset with me ... for ... working on other things instead ...

So she surreptitiously replaced the bulb with this:

Having never thought about it before, I've never seen that
kind of bulb in a refrigerator. Have you?

Does it matter?

Get one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-6-Wa...03991778?N=bol
Old May 16th 13, 03:19 AM
Senior Member

I don't see a problem using any kind of light bulb you want to in a fridge.

But, I'd buy an appliance bulb if you're replacing the bulb in your oven.

From what I understand, the wires that go to the tungsten filament are soldered to the bottom and metal base of the bulb, and the 900 deg. F that an oven can get to during a self clean cycle would melt any ordinary solder.

However, molten solder conducts electicity too, and I'm not sure that the solder melting during a self clean cycle and then resolidifying when the cycle is over would do any harm to the bulb.

Still, for the $1.49 it's gonna cost you, buy an appliance bulb for your oven at least.
Old May 16th 13, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." wrote in news:kmuv02$k33$4
@news.albasani.net:

The "appliance" light bulb in the frig has been out for about
a week ... and ... well ... umm ... er ... the wife got a bit
upset with me ... for ... working on other things instead ...

So she surreptitiously replaced the bulb with this:

Having never thought about it before, I've never seen that
kind of bulb in a refrigerator. Have you?

Does it matter?

No, if you dont mind a bit of mercury in your foodsupply......