Time and a half for over 40 hours

Old April 3rd 13, 11:38 PM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

Default Time and a half for over 40 hours

http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. She has almost no job
experience. She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. What is the best way to address this problem?
Old April 4th 13, 12:00 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

Met,

The US Dept of Labor may be reached at 866 487-9243.

Good luck,
Dave M.

Old April 4th 13, 12:02 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 18:38:13 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. She has almost no job
experience. She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

Sounds like it's required for the job. I've had jobs were
time-and-a-half wasn't paid (only straight time) but mostly overtime
was paid at zero times. ;-)

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. What is the best way to address this problem?

Take immaculate records. Keep all pay stubs. Contact the state labor
relations board after she leaves the job? Sue for back pay? This is
highly jurisdiction dependant.
Old April 4th 13, 12:03 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair
dpb

On 4/3/2013 5:38 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. She has almost no job
experience. She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. What is the best way to address this problem?

Well, if she only started yesterday she can't have come close to having
even worked 40 hrs, what more over. "Don't cry until you've been hurt."

If this really comes to pass and is repetitive and clearly deliberate,
USDOL has enforcement offices in Hotlanta and probably other major
cities in the State or she can contact the GA DOL directly.

Old April 4th 13, 12:53 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is
working in a convenient store that also sells gas.

Tell her to get the hell out of that job.

If she stays, she will almost certainly be faced with an armed robbery
situation at some point.

Working in a convenience store in the US is one of the riskiest jobs
around.
Old April 4th 13, 01:03 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. She has almost no job
experience. She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. What is the best way to address this problem?

The best way is to inform yourself as to whether or not there is an actual
legal violation occurring here. You need to be very careful to ascertain
that your niece is actually legally entitled to overtime pay before
confronting her employer and getting her into a possibly embarrassing or
damaging situation.

Using Google, I was able to determine that wages are federally regulated.

How overtime-work hours are determined:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

Who does or does not qualify for time-and-a-half, and when:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17a_overview.pdf

--
Tegger
Old April 4th 13, 01:09 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote in
:

How overtime-work hours are determined:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

Who does or does not qualify for time-and-a-half, and when:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17a_overview.pdf

Forgot to post the link to the Georgia Dept. of Labor's site:
http://www.dol.state.ga.us/em/employment_laws_rules.htm

--
Tegger
Old April 4th 13, 01:14 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. She has almost no job
experience. She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. What is the best way to address this problem?

After working over 40 hours, a person is worn out and dont work as hard,
so they should get HALF the pay, not "time and a half".

Seriously, jobs like that dont pay real well anyhow and it's easy to
find another person to replace one who is fired. Just how many hours
over 40 is she working? If it's only a few, I'd say just let her keep
her job. Jobs are hard to find in most places these days and with no
experience, even harder. Otherwise someone will need to contact
whatever labor association that state has, and file a grievience. But
that will likely get her fired. If shes expected to work 60 or 70
hours, I'd do something, but if its 43 hours, forget it. That likely
amounts to less than $20 anyhow. Some job is better than no job.

Old April 4th 13, 01:48 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 18:38:13 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. She has almost no job
experience. She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. What is the best way to address this problem?

that's because she won't ever get over time.
these places hire enough people to make it so no one ever gets over time.
this also cuts back on having to provide insurance.
there are exceptions.
contact your state's wage and hour division and ask them if the store is
required to pay or not.

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm
Old April 4th 13, 02:37 AM posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 4:38 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. She has almost no job
experience. She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. What is the best way to address this problem?

Before I retired, I was an engineer which the government classified
as "professional management".... There is an exemption for such
people to be paid a fixed salary, and any additional hours that might
be required get ZERO overtime pay..... This is the present law...

It didn't bother me a bit. I got great raises every year, often a
year
end bonus, and, most of the time only slight overtime was required
except for exceptional circumstances when I was
expected to do whatever was required to meet the needs of
the company...

The distinction is this.... :
Some employees try to work the minimum hours, take the
maximum coffee breaks and sick leave, and go to a better job
with minimum notice given as soon as another opportunity presents
itself.

Other employees are working as if they are partners in
the company, putting in whatever time is needed to get thru
a crisis , and don't care about maximizing how much time they can get
paid for without working but rather "how can my time be better
used to benefit the company".

Which type of employee do you think keeps their jobs in
a recession, or that the company tries to hang on to ???

It's different attitudes that people have.... MY attitude
worked well for me, and I retired at 55 with no complaints.

If I could advise your niece, I would suggest that she set
goals for herself, determine what she needed to do to
achieve those goals, make a plan , and put up with occasional crap
that
might come along without complaining.... It looks to me
like she considers herself, now, to be a "worker bee" instead
of a "supervisor bee"..... Unless she changes that approach,
she will be at the bottom of the ladder all her life...

We all start out as worker bees. It's our attitude that
makes the difference.