What is it that causes home light bulbs to fail ?

Old January 25th 13, 04:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is it that causes home light bulbs to fail ?

In another thread, it was mentioned that CFLs and LEDs
last longer than incandescent bulbs.

We all know incandescent bulbs fail due to the filaments
being made so thin that they oxidize and burn up, over time.

But, what causes CFL bulbs to fail?

And, what causes LED bulbs to fail?
Old January 25th 13, 05:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Joe Mastroianni wrote in :

In another thread, it was mentioned that CFLs and LEDs
last longer than incandescent bulbs.

We all know incandescent bulbs fail due to the filaments
being made so thin that they oxidize and burn up, over time.

But, what causes CFL bulbs to fail?

And, what causes LED bulbs to fail?

****ty design, ****ty materials.
And heat.
Old January 25th 13, 05:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 25, 2013 7:24:18 AM UTC-8, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
In another thread, it was mentioned that CFLs and LEDs

last longer than incandescent bulbs.

We all know incandescent bulbs fail due to the filaments

being made so thin that they oxidize and burn up, over time.

But, what causes CFL bulbs to fail?

And, what causes LED bulbs to fail?

I remember thirty years ago, you wouldnít even think about breaking a fluorescent lamp while replacing it. In fact you hardly ever had to replace them. Now they make the class thinner than an eggshell and if youíre not VERY careful it breaks before you even finish putting it on, and even if you manage to put it on, the glass doesnít last long once it gets hot. Glass is mostly made of silica which is cheap, so itís not that the Chinese are saving money by making it thinner and if itís not to save money then the only reason they would have to do so would be so you keep having to replace them and buy more.
Old January 25th 13, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 9:24 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
In another thread, it was mentioned that CFLs and LEDs
last longer than incandescent bulbs.

We all know incandescent bulbs fail due to the filaments
being made so thin that they oxidize and burn up, over time.

I believe incandescents fail because tungsten evaporates (the bulb
blackens somewhat) and hot spots develop. Small lamps are under vacuum.
At about 40W they are gas filled (not including oxygen). The gas reduces
evaporation of the filament.

In halogen lamps, the halogen transports the evaporated tungsten back to
the filament. As a result the filament can run hotter, producing a
smaller percentage of heat.

But, what causes CFL bulbs to fail?

I suspect in a significant percentage it is the ballast electronics that
fail.

In general, flourescents have a filament, or cold cathode, at each end
that produces electrons. The electron emitting surface slowly fails and
when it gets too low the lamp won't start. Sometimes the filaments open.

And, what causes LED bulbs to fail?

I would guess cumulative damage from heat. Semiconductors (and
electronics in general) don't like heat.

One of the problems in LED lamp design is removing the heat from the LED.

Old January 25th 13, 06:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
DA

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...il-733988-.htm
DA wrote:
Joe Mastroianni wrote:

But, what causes CFL bulbs to fail?

In my experience CFLs fail so rarely that I was never interested in why and never investigated - always looked like a random event anyhow.

And, what causes LED bulbs to fail?

LEDs, on the other hand, failed so frequently that I did look and, basically, the reason is two-fold. They require bringing the voltage across each individual LED to 3.5-3.6V Given that you start out with 120V power, they string 20+ of them together so the power supply of the LED bulb does not have to lower it down too much and they also very frequently skimp on the design and the components of the power supply. I can't say for the higher-end LED bulbs which I've not yet gotten any due to costs and my general skepticism about their life expectancy, but the lower-end ones I've opened often even lack some component that are clearly labeled on the PCB inside. For example, an inductor that's intended to limit the inrush current through the string of the diodes, is often labeled on the board but missing (replaced by a wire short) because it's kinda expensive (about $1). I'm also pretty sure the LEDs themselves and every other component inside were picked from the lowest cost (lowest quality) bins.

One other intrinsic issue with LEDs due to their low voltage and consequent stringing of a couple of dozen together is that life expectancy of such serial circuit drops dramatically. It's pretty much false advertising when they print on the box "30,000 hours life" because even if one LED might really last 30,000 hours, the probability of the string of 24 failing in the first 1000 hours or less is much higher - the probabilities of each LED failing compound and bring the entire circuit's way down.

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Old January 25th 13, 06:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 10:24 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
In another thread, it was mentioned that CFLs and LEDs
last longer than incandescent bulbs.

We all know incandescent bulbs fail due to the filaments
being made so thin that they oxidize and burn up, over time.

But, what causes CFL bulbs to fail?

And, what causes LED bulbs to fail?

Failure of incandescents is complex but mostly due to sublimation and
thinning of the tungsten filament with time. When I bought my house
over 35 years ago we had bulbs filled with krypton rather than the usual
argon which slows sublimation and several of these bulbs are still in use.

As others point out there is a lot or circuitry in these new bulbs that
can fail before the actual light source itself.
Old January 25th 13, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:22:57 -0800, Bill
wrote:

In article , says...

In another thread, it was mentioned that CFLs and LEDs
last longer than incandescent bulbs.

We all know incandescent bulbs fail due to the filaments
being made so thin that they oxidize and burn up, over time.

But, what causes CFL bulbs to fail?

And, what causes LED bulbs to fail?

Greed on the part of the manufacturers (for all light bulbs which do not
last long). The bulb burns out, you buy a new one and they make more
money!

This bulb has worked for over 110 years...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light

I remember back in the 70s seeing a tour of Thomas Edison's Florida
home and they had a bulb of his burn so many hours a day since he
left. I guess it was like 50+ years then and still burning well. So
I got to believe what most people say in this thread as true.
Old January 25th 13, 09:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

But, what causes CFL bulbs to fail?

And, what causes LED bulbs to fail?

Careful engineering.

new light bulbs JP Home Repair 47 November 21st 11 11:10 PM
In 2012, will I be able to order round light bulbs from Canada orsome other foreign country or will they be illegally manufactruing roundlight bulbs and selling them on the internet? Chris Tsao Home Repair 19 March 12th 11 05:09 AM
Comparison of Low Energy bulbs (was Compulsory low-energy light-bulbs) Derek Geldard UK diy 1 March 16th 07 05:52 PM
light bulbs FH Home Repair 16 February 22nd 07 03:52 AM
600 C-9 light bulbs gus Home Repair 20 December 23rd 06 07:02 PM