What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

Old January 25th 13, 06:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

Old January 25th 13, 07:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Roy

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:56:39 PM UTC-7, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use

a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of

light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

You will know the answer when the fixture bursts into flame or your house burns
down which ever comes first.
Old January 25th 13, 07:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 01-25-2013 00:56, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

Get a CFL or LED for _more_ light, less heat.

--
Wes Groleau

Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest thou also be like unto him.
Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise according to his own conceit.
— Solomon
Are you saying there's no good way to answer a fool?
— Groleau
Old January 25th 13, 09:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:47:57 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:

Get a CFL or LED for _more_ light, less heat.

In my experience, the LEDs are (still) too expensive,
and I tried and failed with the CFLs.

The main problem with the CFLs is they stick out too far
(for any decent wattage) so, what happens is that they blind
you because you end up seeing the bright bulb outside the
shield.

Also, that tip of the CFL sticking out tends to break off
as these are desk lamps that are moved about.

I wonder if they make a high light output small length CFL?

Old January 25th 13, 11:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2013 3:41 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
In my experience, the LEDs are (still) too expensive,
and I tried and failed with the CFLs.

When you factor in the cost of operation, LEDs are cheaper than
incandescents.
Old January 25th 13, 11:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:56:39 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni
wrote:

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

The type of bulb you are using is probably not giving the light the
way you want it. Use a plain incandescent and it will diffuse more
rather than hit a localized spot.

Better is to buy a new desk light with a flat fluorescent bulb. Mine
is four short tubes and gives a nice white bright light. I think mine
was about $25.
Old January 25th 13, 12:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year. If
this is what you're using, you are in violation of the law. Since you
posted this to a public newsgroup, your local law officers as well as
the FBI know what you're doing. You will likely be arrested in the next
24 hours. The penalty is something like $5000 and 30 days in prison.
YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE!

Install a 75W equivalant CFL bulb and the heat wont be a problem, and
you will be legal. You can even use a 100W equivalant CFL. (Then get
rid of those 75W incandescent bulbs before the cops arrive.)

Old January 25th 13, 12:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Joe Mastroianni wrote in :

I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use
a 60W bulb.

Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of
light, but it gets hot as blazes.

How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?

A lot. When we bought our current home, I had to replace all of the light fixtures in the kitchen
because the previous owners had done exactly that: put 75W bulbs in fixtures that were
labeled "60W max". When I took the fixtures down to paint the ceiling, I discovered that the
excess heat had made the insulation on the fixture wires brittle and hard to the point of
cracking and falling off of the conductors. One fixture had an inch and a half of uninsulated
wire.

Old January 25th 13, 01:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:56:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The type of bulb you are using is probably not giving the light the
way you want it. Use a plain incandescent and it will diffuse more
rather than hit a localized spot.

Maybe I do need to go back to the plain old-style 100W tungsten bulb.

This is what the CFL looks like (see how it sticks out).

Front view:

Side view:

Old January 25th 13, 01:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:57:44 -0600, homeowner wrote:

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year.

That's odd. Today I bought the 75 Watt flood you see in the 1st picture.
Along with 90W (larger) floods (which were too big for this lamp).

And, at the same Home Depot, I saw 200 Watt long-necked incandescent
bulbs, and 150Watt 3-way incandescent bulbs for sale ...

So, they 'might' be banned - but they're certainly still being sold.