water leaking burnham v-14a-t

Old January 1st 13, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default water leaking burnham v-14a-t

I have water leaking from my furnace and I am not sure if I will need a new one or not. Do I have to take the whole cover off to see where it is leaking from and if I do what can I use to fix the leak ?

Old January 1st 13, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2013 3:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 18:44:01 +0000, jarhead143
wrote:

I have water leaking from my furnace and I am not sure if I will need a new one or not. Do I have to take the whole cover off to see where it is leaking from and if I do what can I use to fix the leak ?

You just have to take the cover off of where the leak is so you can
see it.

I never saw a furnace leak water. Do you mean a boiler? Furnaces
heat air, boilers heat water.

Not knowing what you have, it is difficult to diagnose the problem. It
may or may not be repairable. If it is 15 or more years old, it is
probably smarter to replace it with something more efficient rather
than throw money and more money at the old one.

How much is the leak? alot or a little trickle?. Could it just be the
condensate from a modern furnance and maybe the pump or the drain line
is plugged?

Old January 1st 13, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

jarhead143 wrote:
I have water leaking from my furnace and I am not sure if I will need a new one or not. Do I have to take the whole cover off to see where it is leaking from and if I do what can I use to fix the leak ?

Hi,
Is your furnace high efficiency one? Condensate drain could plug up or
drain hose can be loose or whatever. Take a look with cover off. Amount
of water produced is not negligible in this case.
Old January 1st 13, 10:47 PM
Senior Member

Normally, the word "furnace" is used for a forced air heating system, and "boiler" is use for a hot water heating system.

I'm presuming that by "furnace" you mean a "boiler".

If the water leaks a little bit and then stops, it could just be condensate dripping down from the chimney.

If it drips continuously, and it's coming from the middle part of the boiler, it might be a leak from between two segments of the boiler. If that's where it's coming from, then you're gonna need a heating contractor to take the boiler apart, fix the leak and put it back together. See if you can stick a mirror under the boiler and look around in there to identify the source of the leak. If I were you, I'd find out which of the heating contractors in your are deal with Burnham. They would have the most experience with this kind of boiler and know whether this kind of a leak is common with Burnham boilers, and if it can be fixed without taking the boiler apart.

In the mean time, maybe get a heating contractor that deals with Burnham to see if he can find the source of the leak. You might be best off to wait until summer to have it fixed.
Old January 1st 13, 11:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 4:16*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
jarhead143 wrote:
I have water leaking from my furnace and *I am not sure if I will need a new one or not. Do I have to take the whole cover off to see where it is leaking from and if I do what can I use to fix the leak ?

Hi,
Is your furnace high efficiency one? Condensate drain could plug up or
drain hose can be loose or whatever. Take a look with cover off. Amount
of water produced is not negligible in this case.

Amazing how an obvious troll can be taken seriously.
Old January 2nd 13, 07:00 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
Amazing how an obvious troll can be taken seriously.
What makes you think this post isn't legit?

A Burnham v-14a-t is an oil fired hot water heating boiler. As such, it CAN leak water. Check out the following link:

Heating Help
Old January 2nd 13, 10:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

;2988936']

'Heating Help' (http://tinyurl.com/bakp8dc)

--
nestork

Well, the OP didn't furnish enough information to believe he really
had a furnace/boiler, and didn't seem to know enough to even open the
unit up, so the troll idea seemed plausible.
Old January 3rd 13, 12:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have water leaking from my furnace and I am not sure if I will need a new one or not. Do I have to take the whole cover off to see where it is leaking from and if I do what can I use to fix the leak ?

Somebody here posted a link to that boiler, but it didn't open for me,
so I forgot about this.
In case you haven't called in a pro boiler guy, I'll say this.
Very doubtful you can economically fix a leak in the boiler water
jacket. Mostly likely caused by age/corrosion. Many reasons to get
away from an old oil-fired unit, and get a new gas unit.
One thing you can do is examine all pipe fittings attached to the
water jacket, including the gauge fitting if it has one, It's
possible for a leak to originate there and flow down to the firebox or
other area within the casing (what you called "cover.")
Like a roof that shows up a distance from the actual leak.
If you can't see the leak in a fitting on the outside, you'll have to
remove the casing. The residential ones I've removed are easy enough.
Just sheet metal screws hold it together. Not even a real dirty job
unless you clean the jacket fire passages.
Good chance you'll have to pull the vent from the chimney, and re
mortar that back in.
You really should get some reputable HVAV guys to look at it.
Just beware of chimney shakers.

..

Old January 3rd 13, 06:58 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr(bob) [email
Well, the OP didn't furnish enough information to believe he really
had a furnace/boiler, and didn't seem to know enough to even open the
unit up, so the troll idea seemed plausible.
Geez, man. The guy was able to give us the make and model number of his boiler. Like most people, he probably got that info off the boiler itself. And, for me, that's good enough proof that the boiler exists... ...and is probably leaking water.

Last edited by nestork : January 3rd 13 at 07:04 AM.
Old January 3rd 13, 12:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 17:06:56 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

Many reasons to get
away from an old oil-fired unit, and get a new gas unit.

Sure, if you can. They wanted $10,000 to run a gas line to my house
and that was 30 years ago. I still burn oil.

Peerless vs Burnham Jordan[_3_] Home Repair 1 September 16th 09 04:34 AM
Ice & Water making Fridge Leaking at water spout. Lab Home Repair 7 November 20th 08 11:59 AM
Please help Burnham RSM-126 oil furnace won't heat hot water after vacation Donita Luddington Home Repair 35 August 21st 08 01:58 PM
Old Burnham Boiler Shuts Off [email protected] Home Repair 9 February 11th 07 07:22 AM
Kenmore Water Softener leaking water in brine tank Gary Sweeten Home Repair 2 May 25th 04 06:18 AM