Keeping door latches from freezing

Old November 12th 12, 09:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keeping door latches from freezing

Have you ever found some sort of spray or grease that will keep stuff
from freezing? We got rain yesterday, and a deep freeze right
afterwards. Last night both push button door handles on my F-150 truck
were frozen. The push botton door latch on the house storm door and a
slide bolt on my toolshed door was also frozen.

Anyhow, have any of you ever found anything that will keep stuff like
that from freezing? I was wondering about silicone spray? Maybe
vaseline on the slide bolt, but that wont work on the truck? Any other
ideas?

Old November 12th 12, 09:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:42:24 -0600, wrote:

Any other
ideas?

Sure. Stop nym-shifting.
Old November 12th 12, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

Have you ever found some sort of spray or grease that will keep stuff
from freezing? We got rain yesterday, and a deep freeze right
afterwards. Last night both push button door handles on my F-150 truck
were frozen. The push botton door latch on the house storm door and a
slide bolt on my toolshed door was also frozen.

Anyhow, have any of you ever found anything that will keep stuff like
that from freezing? I was wondering about silicone spray? Maybe
vaseline on the slide bolt, but that wont work on the truck? Any other
ideas?
*****

Try this
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stop+car+locks+from+freezing

Old November 13th 12, 04:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Have you ever found some sort of spray or grease that will keep stuff
from freezing? We got rain yesterday, and a deep freeze right
afterwards. Last night both push button door handles on my F-150 truck
were frozen. The push botton door latch on the house storm door and a
slide bolt on my toolshed door was also frozen.

Anyhow, have any of you ever found anything that will keep stuff like
that from freezing? I was wondering about silicone spray? Maybe
vaseline on the slide bolt, but that wont work on the truck? Any other
ideas?

WD -40

Bic

Spray antifreeze, don't get on paint, I think.

My one boss used to free the lock mechanism with bic.

I use silicone on the rubber window runners.

Greg
Old November 13th 12, 05:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

One trick someone suggested is:
Hold the key in a flame till it is quite hot, then stick it into the
frozen lock.

I used to own a car in a place where it got cold enough to try that.
I remember that it worked, but I can't remember whether it _always_ worked.

--
Wes Groleau

"What progress we are making! In the Middle Ages, they would have
burnt me; nowadays they are content with burning my books.”
— Sigmund Freud, 1933
"He was never to know that even that was only an illusory progress,
that ten years later they would have burned his body as well.”
— Ernest Jones, 1953

Old November 13th 12, 05:40 AM
Senior Member

What I do is just keep plenty of methanol (also called "methyl hydrate") on hand along with suitable applicators to get the alcohol into the space where it's needed. Methyl hydrate dissolves ice.

Most often, when a lock freezes, what's happened is that capillary pressure has drawn water into the tiny gaps around the tumblers and around the lock cylinder. When that water freezes, it prevents the tumbers from moving up and down and the cylinder from turning, so even if you can get your key in, you can't rotate the cylinder to unlock the car door.

By having some methanol available in a spray bottle or squeeze bottle designed to fit into a keyway, you can squirt methanol into the lock to dissolve the ice. Once you do that, the lock will work normally.

Methyl hydrate evaporates completely without leaving a residue.

PS: Never use an oil or a grease in a lock. Airborne dirt and dust will stick to the oil and grease, causing that lubricant to gum up the operation of the lock. It's best to use graphite powder in locks because airborne dirt and dust won't stick to graphite. The "dry graphite" aerosol sprays you buy at hardware stores for lubricating locks and light machinery are so named because they use a propellant that evaporates completely, leaving behind only the dry graphite powder.

Last edited by nestork : November 13th 12 at 05:50 AM.
Old November 13th 12, 07:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 04:27:03 +0000 (UTC), gregz

Have you ever found some sort of spray or grease that will keep stuff
from freezing? We got rain yesterday, and a deep freeze right
afterwards. Last night both push button door handles on my F-150 truck
were frozen. The push botton door latch on the house storm door and a
slide bolt on my toolshed door was also frozen.

Anyhow, have any of you ever found anything that will keep stuff like
that from freezing? I was wondering about silicone spray? Maybe
vaseline on the slide bolt, but that wont work on the truck? Any other
ideas?

WD -40

Bic

Spray antifreeze, don't get on paint, I think.

My one boss used to free the lock mechanism with bic.

I use silicone on the rubber window runners.

Greg

WD-40 will evaporate real fast. I dont see that working for any length
of time.

What is BIC?

I've used silicone spray on the rubber gaskets around a car door. It
does help to keep the door from freeing to the gasket. I have not found
anything to work on the metal door buttons or latches yet. I plan to
get another can of silicone and try it as soon as I buy one, unless
someone on here has a better solution.

Old November 13th 12, 10:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I've not known of graphite to be a water displacer.

Is there article on the web that describes this? Send URL?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmm,
Graphite spray.

Old November 13th 12, 11:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is BIC?

A cigarette lighter