Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default leaf blower switch repair

My electric leaf blower stopped working and I found the switch has gone bad.
The switch is a slider switch with 3 positions: off, low, hi. In the low
setting a diode (actually two diodes in parallel) is inserted to cut the
power in half.

Here are photos of the blower with the switch:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/26400015_XWk3tm

The unit draws 14A max.

I don't like slider switch so I'm thinking of replacing it with a SPDT
toggle switch with center-off. I will cut a piece of plastic or metal to
cover the hole where the slider switch is, and drill a round hole to put the
new toggle switch there.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg (image
of toggle switch)

The power plug also gives me problem from time to time. It makes a loose
connection with most extension cords. I plan to replace it with a short
power cord that dangles out of the unit, like most new leaf blowers. This
would reduce vibration at the plug. I will use a cord with 3-prong plug for
better gripping the extension cord.

Lastly, there's a small gap in the blowing chamber near the switch covered
by a piece of foam. What is this for? My guess is to put some air pressure
into the switch compartment to reduce dust entry?

Any suggestions on the repair?